Am I the only one who has never been hacked?

Lady Lyuba

36 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever had one of your Neo accounts hacked before?

• Yes
    • No

I've also never been hacked, but my oldest account (7.5years) I forgot the birthdate to and am no longer able to access it. However my current account is 6.5 years old but like people have said I don't go on side sites that ask me to put in my information, and I always check the URL when I log in. I think neo is a lot more secure now, and I probably wouldn't start playing again if I got hacked. I wish I had a super old account, but in order for me to have a 10 or 12 year old shield I would have had to be like 6 years old and playing...which isn't very realistic.

I think just about EVERYONE who has ever palyed Neopets has had their account hacked before, many years ago when they were younger players. All that is - except me.

Interesting how you feel like you're one of the few to not get hacked, when the poll shows that around 96% of have not been hacked either. Think about it this way, we always hear about the people who get hacked, and those instances stick out in our mind. It does seem like everyone has gotten hacked at some point, but this is because people who don't get hacked don't go around posting, "I didn't get hacked today! Yes!" I believe in psychology this is called a negativity bias, "the tendency to pay more attention and give more weight to negative than positive experiences or other kinds of information."

I just tell people because I want them to understand the importance of changing your password and watching all emails diligently. Oh, most importantly: don't offer an email account to a relative.

I've always considered myself very safe and alert. I was wrong in that regard. ^^ Times have changed now, however. Most things don't even send your password, they make a new one on your behalf and send it to your current email....which may have saved me since my account was joined to my new email, not the old one.

People who get "hacked" (it's not really hacking, since hacking is far difficult compared with merely getting into someone else's account by mere trickery), are very frequently people who try to engage in illegal activities themselves. Like when another user says they can have their account since they're leaving. (Taking other people's account is NOT permitted), or giving their password to a cheat site which claims they use a special program to earn 201020 Neopoints. Which is why Neo isn't very mercifiul when one gets hacked. And those who don't engage in activities may do something silly like make their password their real name, which they then display in their profile. They probably assume you technically did something to deserve it.

(it's not really hacking, since hacking is far difficult compared with merely getting into someone else's account by mere trickery)

Thanks for making this distinction! You are absolutely correct. I use the word "hack" quite loosely, but I really shouldn't. I don't think there's much you can do about actual hacking (which I don't think is a huge problem on Neopets), but like you said, there are many measures you can take to keep your account safe. Unfortunately, if people continue to think that "I wasn't careful about my password" = "I got hacked," they won't think that changing their own email/password will make a difference.

Thanks for making this distinction! You are absolutely correct. I use the word "hack" quite loosely, but I really shouldn't. I don't think there's much you can do about actual hacking (which I don't think is a huge problem on Neopets), but like you said, there are many measures you can take to keep your account safe. Unfortunately, if people continue to think that "I wasn't careful about my password" = "I got hacked," they won't think that changing their own email/password will make a difference.

There WAS this one time a moderator account got hacked. lol. I took a screenshot, I think I still have it. If I find it, I'll show you how funny it was. The user used the mods account to lock all boards. I took a screenshot because I wanted to have proof that SOMETIMES, TNT fails. Ah, I found it! It happened in 2006! The user had imagines like; "me like peas yummy!!" and locked all of the boards. xD

There WAS this one time a moderator account got hacked. lol. I took a screenshot, I think I still have it. If I find it, I'll show you how funny it was. The user used the mods account to lock all boards. I took a screenshot because I wanted to have proof that SOMETIMES, TNT fails. Ah, I found it! It happened in 2006! The user had imagines like; "me like peas yummy!!" and locked all of the boards. xD

Hahaha, you should post the screenshot! I'd love to see it!

Haha, OK. I'll post it. Do any of you recall this btw? This happened when I was browing the boards in 2006. There's a date if you want to see. Apparently, from what I recall reading, this person got into a Neopet's moderators account and just went nuts on the boards. th_blushyblush.gif

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e192/lilshadowdweller/lilshadowdwelleredit.jpg