Hang Out and Post

Giovanni Gale

The two I use are 4G. It takes a lot to fill those up! On my computer, it's mostly music, along with some pictures, that take up all the space.

My very first one, my dad gave me, is 32MB. My next one was 512MB. Then 2GB and 4GB. Then pen and keychain ones are really small, but they were given out at an A/V (Audio/Visual) convention a couple years ago, when I worked for an A/V company.

And you guys put music and videos on flash drive? o.0 I don't see the point but Ok....

It depends. What wasn't mentioned... my dad uses the tiny 4GB one I got him, for music, because his car has a USB port, that plugs into the car's stereo system. So It's gone better than CDs.

EDIT: Micro-SD cards are also really freakin' tiny. Meaning I would definitely lose it in my messenger bag of a purse.

I have a Micro SD card in my cell phone for my pictures. They are crazy small.

I always feel like I'm going to lose MicroSD cards.

My first flash drive was 512 MB. I don't know what happened to it though.

And actually, I think my personal one is 2GB and my inherited school one is 4GB. It's purple too...

Are you familiar with Lifehacker? Because that reminds me of a few Lifehacker posts...

I've read a few Lifehacker posts, but no, I'm not really familiar with that site. I do recall thinking that some of the stuff they recommended was a little suboptimal, but I can't remember what exactly I was reading at the time.

You are not the only one! I may or may not have a version of Ubuntu on my flash drive. :)

:D

These days I run Fedora personally, and generally recommend Mint to people who are newer to Linux. :yes:

Heh, well Mint probably has the classiest look of any Linux distribution I've tried so far. Although if you're a programmer, the innards of Fedora look very classy indeed. :P

I have alot of time to be here but i'll only actually stay and talk if certain people are here. =/

O hai. It seems as though someone forgot that I'm here.

I went to the Intrepid today.

*waves* Hi there CAV! :P

What's the Intrepid by the way? The only think that comes to mind for me is the codename for Ubuntu 8.10, "Intrepid Ibex". xD

The Intrepid is a large navy battle ship that was used during WWII and the Cold War. It was also used as a landing and take off pad for many fighter planes. Since its use is no longer required, it has been anchored here in NYC, and is now used as a museum. On the flight deck, there are several fighter planes, including the first plane to ever break the sound barrier. You can also visit the captain's deck. Inside the large ship is a bunch of exibits and activities to teach about the history of the Air Force, Navy, and Space Travel. Outside of the Intrepid is a submarine, which holds a nuclear bomb that contains 300 times the power of the atomic bombs dropped in Japan during WWII, capable of destroying all 5 boroughs of NY, and take a huge chunck out of Northern New Jersey. You are allowed to go inside the submarine, and see how life was inside. Also is the concorde plane used by British Airlines.

For more info, check this out.

That sounds like a pretty neat place to visit. :yes: Although... how tough is the security around the submarine? It seems a little concerning.

Security is tight. And they say it before you even enter.

Don't touch ANYTHING, don't press any buttons or turn any knobs. If it looks like it works, then don't bother with it.

Besides, the bomb is mounted on top of the submarine. So it cannot and will not be fired.

Well that's good to hear. Still, it sounds like a bit of a soft target if somebody really motivated wanted to do a lot of damage...

Or maybe the bomb's fake and it's just an elaborate trap. xD

Well hey, it's not like I'm planning an attack or anything. :shiftyeyes_anim:

So we just went from flash drives to battleships and nuclear bombs. I wonder how that's connected. xD

Eh, no worries, I was actually just kinda asking a rhetorical question anyway. :P

So I take it most people around here start school at about the same time?

Dun use caps! It makes the voice in my head yell. T_T

And I suppose most schools start within an hour of each other... though we are in different time zones, so I'm sure that messes with things.

I have my first day of school in a couple of days. I'd be lying if I said I was looking forward to it, but at least I bought all of my supplies and I just finished my summer homework a few minutes ago :thumbsup:

I've read a few Lifehacker posts, but no, I'm not really familiar with that site. I do recall thinking that some of the stuff they recommended was a little suboptimal, but I can't remember what exactly I was reading at the time.

Yeah, I don't read it all the time. They have some interesting ideas, but a lot are a little crazy for me. It's fun to read some of the McGyver stuff. :)

Anyways, one of the writers is huge on carrying Ubuntu, etc. on flash drives. He wrote a few posts on different setups you can put on flash drives with Ubuntu and some free programs and such. It was a while ago, so I don't remember exactly. He used to give them out to people for fun.

That sounds pretty awesome, CAV. I've been to the Midway, an aircraft carrier in San Diego, that was pretty awesome. No bombs though.

That reminds me (the sub thing) of when my dad and I were in Long Beach, CA and we stayed on the Queen Mary. (The sister ship of the Titanic, now a hotel.) Next to it, they have the Russian sub, the Scorpion. You can tour it. Even though it's painted and nothing is function, they have signs saying everything still works, so not to operate the sub. :laughingsmiley:

This one, you could tell if wouldn't work, because everything was heavily painted with crazy colors. But I loved that it said it was operational, so not to operate it. It was permanently placed next to the Queen Mary, so it wasn't going anywhere.