Personal Picture Policy

Samuel

Hello,

Following a consulation with the staff, and a fair bit of discussion, 6 of our 8 staff have voted on a policy regarding personal pictures on TDN Forums.

The decision reached was that with immediate effect, all personal pictures are banned, including those of a member over the age of 18, with no exceptions. This was passed with a majority of 5, with 1 person against.

The reasons cited for this new policy, which has led to an update in rule 5 of the Forum Rules, is thus:

"Compared with other forums, the vast majority of TDN Forum members are under the age of 16, and many do not have an approach to the internet whereby they can express their feelings through their vocabulary without the use of emotiocons, can not express a wide range of opinions, and cannot 'show their true self'. Whilst this is in no means the whole of our forum memberbase, the staff feel it is unfair to exclude some people from posting photos whilst some can. We feel that as people are generally not able to successfully express themselves, and create a proper identity for themselves, it is unfair to allow these people to post personal pictures and expose themself in a way which becomes a lot more personal - if they can't express themselves through words, they shouldn't be able to throw photos around. It's all about a person's approach to the Internet, and not everyone in our forum is able to grasp how to approach with success.

It is definately unethical to post a picture of a person under 13 years old - complying with COPPA guidelines - but it's also unfair to exclude some and not others."

From this date, all pictures of yourself, your family, school or road - which may personally identify you - may NOT be posted on TDN, or linked to.

With many thanks,

Samuel

pp TDN Staff - Moderation Team, Content Team

The team would also like to announce that we'll be trialling a new general method of post edits this week, and that Y2 is subject to more delay.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mikey in with the professionalism once again :)

The trialling method is just a new, professional way of editing posts. We'll get user feedback at the end.

Mikey in with the professionalism once again :)

The trialling method is just a new, professional way of editing posts. We'll get user feedback at the end.

Does that mean that we can't talk about it, until feedback is asked for, so that all feedback is in one nice general place.

I just saw the new method, and TJ has comments, so shall TJ wait or shall TJ speak? Either way is perfectly fine with me, I'm just wondering. ;)

Loopholes, eh?

1) Nature photos are fine as long as they don't identify you or your local area tooo much.

2) Cartoon drawings are fine, as long as they are not so true to the real thing that you're easily identifiable =] Images of you are banned EVERYWHERE, not just posts.

Can I please also raise the point that, whilst TDN can not moderate actions outside of this site, we strongly recommend keeping your pictures to YOURSELF, and not posting them everywhere.

Guest Lightning Strike

I totally agree with the decision taken by TDN Staff. They discussed the situation, and came to a decision. No photos. Although I never post personal photos on the Internet, many people do.

If on Neopets it's not allowed, then here it isn't either. I think that's agreeable, especially as most of our community are formed by teens. :thumbsup:

From this date, all pictures of yourself, your family, school or road - which may personally identify you - may NOT be posted on TDN, or linked to.

With many thanks,

Samuel

pp TDN Staff - Moderation Team, Content Team

The team would also like to announce that we'll be trialling a new general method of post edits this week, and that Y2 is subject to more delay.

Yep, linking is not allowed. ^^

Would this rule apply if I take a picture of myself, then Ink, color, shade, and manipulate it so I look like a cartoon anthro animal? ((Hopefully I can become that good at CGing. X3.gif))

Would this rule apply if I take a picture of myself, then Ink, color, shade, and manipulate it so I look like a cartoon anthro animal? ((Hopefully I can become that good at CGing. X3.gif))

i already asked and he said we can do that as long as we are not identifiable. So no it doesn't apply for cases like that.