A "yay" sequel to "nay about job hunting"!

Welcome Back Apathy

So, after all this lovely time I have spent searching for jobs, I had to lower my standards to VERY part-time jobs. I currently have two--one that is ten hours a week over two days, and one that is one day a week, plus I might get more days if they need me.

But you know what? I'm cool with this for now. After all, I can't forget that I have a disability, and working full-time at the bookstore was really painful. Working at the library could get painful too, and I only had 23 hours a week. So only working 18 (for now) will not be hard on me. And it will pay my rent and bills.

This is Job #1: Tutoring at an after-school math center. The kids are sweet, and so far they think I'm the best tutor ever. I've been there a few days now, and it looks like it will work out nicely for me.

Job #2: Substitute teaching. But it's different from substitute teaching where I'm from. I have a specific day that I *have* to come in every week (Thursday) and if they don't need me to cover any classes, I'll do some office work until they tell me to go home, but they still pay me for the whole day. I'm guaranteed that one day a week, and they will also call me in on other days if they need me.

This school is AWESOME. Everyone is so sweet, the students are pretty cool too, and the school has fantastic programs in the things I care about. (Languages, musical theater...) It helps that it's pretty close. I could even take public transportation if I needed to.

I am still looking for another part-time job, since these two jobs combined only make one part-time position. But in the meantime...I'm good.

P.S. You have a disability? I didn't know...

Nothing too serious. Well, it is, but I'm not in a wheelchair or anything. It's called ankylosing spondylitis, and on its own it's not supposed to be too bad for women. Men are more likely to get it, and it's more likely to give severe symptoms to men.

Unfortunately, since I have a rod in my spine for scoliosis, my AS is much more severe. It's an auto-immune disease that in many ways is similar to multiple sclerosis, in that it has a lot of side symptoms. But its biggest symptom is fusing joints painfully, particularly in the spine. Sooo...having a rod in the spine makes for an unhappy Karina.

I also recently found out that people actually do die from AS. It seemed odd to me--it doesn't seem like something that could kill, based on the symptoms. However, I'm not in any danger of that at the moment.