Abortion.

April

I don't think abortions should be used for convenience, but as someone else mentioned I think it's really hard to regulate that. Here in Canada abortions are legal (as are most things) so there aren't too many issues with the fight, although there are still quite a few pro-choice groups. I used to be totally against abortion until I really started to critically think about it; I totally agree that you shouldn't be allowed to tell someone what to do with their body. It's like gay marriage- if you don't like it then don't get one! I'd really rather never have to choose abortion as an option for myself because I think it's probably one of the most difficult things someone would have to do. However, if I got pregnant at this stage that's what I would do because I know I'm not in a position where I could raise the baby with stability. Even if I had a child and was still able to go to university I wouldn't want my child's earliest years memories without his/her mom because I was too busy with university.

As well, I definitely think it's better for someone to get an abortion than to bring a child that they don't want into the world. I think that leads to a lot of issues with family life and resentment and I don't think it's healthy for anyone. I'm not for abortions if you find out your child has Down Syndrome or Autism and (this is important) would be able to live a relatively healthy/normal life (obviously they would still have Down Syndrome/Austism/Dwarfism etc, and although they'd need extra care they wouldn't spend all their time in the hospital) although there are exceptions. Like the case that Cassia mentioned it's totally understandable because the child probably would've spent most of the time in the hospital until they passed away. If you know your child is going to go through something like that maybe it's best to not make the child suffer? Just my opinion though.

I'm not against abortions because I don't think it's okay to tell someone what they can and can't do with their own body. I am currently in a serious relationship with my boyfriend and on the pill and we use condoms and everything like that. So we are very protected. The thing is, though, pregnancy is still possible no matter how protected you are. I don't feel like that means I don't have the right to have sex -- I think that's really ridiculous, I'm a human being & it's a natural desire that I think is completely okay to fulfill. If I were to get pregnant, I am not sure if I would personally be able to go through with an abortion. I would definitely look into all of my options, though, because I really want to finish college and make a good life for myself. However, like I said before, I think it would be okay for someone to have an abortion if they were in a situation where they got pregnant and did not feel they could create a good life for the baby in that moment in time for whatever reason.

Something that I am against in regards to abortion is people that use abortions as a form of birth control. I have a friend whose mother has had something like 5-10 abortions. I think that is really ridiculous. I think people should be responsible about being protected, and if an accident happens, then fine, but I don't think there is a need to have a bunch of abortions over and over again like that.

Something that I am against in regards to abortion is people that use abortions as a form of birth control. I have a friend whose mother has had something like 5-10 abortions. I think that is really ridiculous. I think people should be responsible about being protected, and if an accident happens, then fine, but I don't think there is a need to have a bunch of abortions over and over again like that.

But abortion IS birth control. You are controlling birth, plain and simple. Who knows what circumstances she has been in that has required her to have that many abortions. Why did she have 5-10 abortions, but decide to keep one of her foeti? Without asking her directly, there is no way to know. Perhaps she had a partner that did not allow her to use other forms of birth control, and she had abortions without him knowing. Perhaps she used condoms and they broke. Perhaps she was not aware that taking medication with her birth control pills made them ineffectual. Perhaps she could not afford other birth control at the time.

I just can't see female-bodied people choosing to have abortions over and over again as their chosen method of birth control, when other ones are so much easier, if there was not a reason for it.

I am completely in favour of access to abortions for all people with uteri, no matter what circumstance, no matter what reason.

If abortion is made legal, don't you think that many teenagers will all the more become pregnant?

Having an unwanted baby is usually the cost of vices. If someone is raped, the one who raped should take care of the baby.

The one who sins gets the punishment.

Making abortion legal is no solution!!

If abortion is made legal, don't you think that many teenagers will all the more become pregnant?

Having an unwanted baby is usually the cost of vices. If someone is raped, the one who raped should take care of the baby.

I'd hope that if they'd raped someone they would be where they belong - in prison. No one who is capable of rape should be put in charge of childcare. And if you meant in terms of funding the childcare, that's all well and good, but the woman who was raped, who carried the child, would still have to raise this baby, which would be one she most probably would not have wanted.

I think abortion should be legal. I agree that women should have the choice over what they do with their bodies. Personally, the only way I would have an abortion, would be if I were to fall pregnant now. Me and my boyfriend use protection, but as it has already been mentioned, unfortunately this is no guarentee of anything. We are both full time university students with jobs, and we simply would not be able to bring a child into this world in a stable environment, and I think that would be unfair.

Using abortion as your only form of birth control, is clearly wrong in my eyes, but it would be something that would inevitably happen if it became legal. I think this is a risk we have to take, as I think it's far more important that we have a choice to bring children into the world when we are ready to raise them correctly, in a stable environment and not just because there is no other option.

That is a terrifying thought. The rapist should be in prison, not taking care of a child. And frankly, forcing the woman to give birth is such an invasion of her bodily autonomy. There are many more health risks giving birth than there are related to abortion, and every day for the pregancy that foetus would be a reminder of her rape.

I don't understand why so many people think that as soon as abortion is legalised that everyone is just going to go have unprotected sex willy-nilly. It has been completely legal in Canada for decades, and paid for completely by our healthcare system. If you are a Canadian citizen, or a permanent resident, aged 12 or over, your abortion is free, and doesn't require parental approval.

Even with this free access to abortion, none of my heterosexual friends in sexual relationships are relying on abortion as their only form of birth control. They all understand that some people find abortions to be extremely difficult, psychologically. In fact, the only person I know who has had an abortion (well, several in her case) was a high school acquaintance of mine that had been raped, was a drug user, and had a lot of problems in general. I shudder to think of what any foetus she had to carry to term would end up like.

Access to abortion is about a female-bodied person's right to choose, nothing else. It does not matter if YOU would get one. It does not matter if you would want your girlfriend or wife to get one. It doesn't matter if you think that giving the infant up for adoption is a better plan.

The only thing that it comes down to is if you think that someone should be allowed to decide for themselves if they want to carry a foetus to term.

And if you still say no, think about this.

How would you feel if other people started telling you that you HAD to donate an organ to someone. Regardless of your wishes, they were going to force you to have an operation, and they were going to remove one of your kidneys. The fact that it would impact your life has no meaning to them -- when you only have one kidney, you shouldn't drink too much, etc. The fact that you would have to recover from the surgery doesn't matter to them. What if you get an infection? What if there are complications? Doesn't matter.

You're giving life to someone -- doesn't that trump your wishes?

Now compound that -- pregnancy is more than just a surgery. It is a nine month long process that plays with all aspects of a female body. Not only are there chances to the body afterwards, but there is post-natal depression, tonnes of disorders and diseases that can come out of the the pregnancy (high blood pressure, etc). It changes your life completely for those nine months - you can't drink, you can't smoke, you have people invading your personal space all of the time (unwanted touching of your belly by strangers, ultra sounds, etc). And then you have to give birth, which is extraordinarily painful.

I have issues with people being forced to do almost anything - I believe in every person choosing what is right for them as much as possible. Having such an invasion of bodily autonomy be enforced is just abhorrant to me.

But abortion IS birth control. You are controlling birth, plain and simple. Who knows what circumstances she has been in that has required her to have that many abortions. Why did she have 5-10 abortions, but decide to keep one of her foeti? Without asking her directly, there is no way to know. Perhaps she had a partner that did not allow her to use other forms of birth control, and she had abortions without him knowing. Perhaps she used condoms and they broke. Perhaps she was not aware that taking medication with her birth control pills made them ineffectual. Perhaps she could not afford other birth control at the time.

I just can't see female-bodied people choosing to have abortions over and over again as their chosen method of birth control, when other ones are so much easier, if there was not a reason for it.

I am completely in favour of access to abortions for all people with uteri, no matter what circumstance, no matter what reason.

I do actually know this person, and yes, she actually did use abortions as a form of birth control. When I say birth control, I mean things such as condoms and the pill, which prevent pregnancy from happening. Maybe a better term would be "pregnancy control."

As for what you said about cost, abortions are expensive. She chose not to use the pill or other forms of "pregnancy control" literally because she was just lazy about it. As for her children, she felt that they were the ones she should keep.

In her circumstance, I think it is completely wrong for her to get abortions without first attempting to use "pregnancy control." I can understand and sympathize with accidents/rape/not being able to afford it/etc, but not using abortions literally just because you are too lazy to get on birth control. And there are so many people like that; it's really sad. Also, she still gets abortions to this day. She just got one a few months ago. She has a decent job and could definitely fork over a bit of money for a pack of pills every month.

• 2 weeks later...

That is a terrifying thought. The rapist should be in prison, not taking care of a child. And frankly, forcing the woman to give birth is such an invasion of her bodily autonomy. There are many more health risks giving birth than there are related to abortion, and every day for the pregancy that foetus would be a reminder of her rape.

I don't understand why so many people think that as soon as abortion is legalised that everyone is just going to go have unprotected sex willy-nilly. It has been completely legal in Canada for decades, and paid for completely by our healthcare system. If you are a Canadian citizen, or a permanent resident, aged 12 or over, your abortion is free, and doesn't require parental approval.

Even with this free access to abortion, none of my heterosexual friends in sexual relationships are relying on abortion as their only form of birth control. They all understand that some people find abortions to be extremely difficult, psychologically. In fact, the only person I know who has had an abortion (well, several in her case) was a high school acquaintance of mine that had been raped, was a drug user, and had a lot of problems in general. I shudder to think of what any foetus she had to carry to term would end up like.

Access to abortion is about a female-bodied person's right to choose, nothing else. It does not matter if YOU would get one. It does not matter if you would want your girlfriend or wife to get one. It doesn't matter if you think that giving the infant up for adoption is a better plan.

The only thing that it comes down to is if you think that someone should be allowed to decide for themselves if they want to carry a foetus to term.

And if you still say no, think about this.

How would you feel if other people started telling you that you HAD to donate an organ to someone. Regardless of your wishes, they were going to force you to have an operation, and they were going to remove one of your kidneys. The fact that it would impact your life has no meaning to them -- when you only have one kidney, you shouldn't drink too much, etc. The fact that you would have to recover from the surgery doesn't matter to them. What if you get an infection? What if there are complications? Doesn't matter.

You're giving life to someone -- doesn't that trump your wishes?

Now compound that -- pregnancy is more than just a surgery. It is a nine month long process that plays with all aspects of a female body. Not only are there chances to the body afterwards, but there is post-natal depression, tonnes of disorders and diseases that can come out of the the pregnancy (high blood pressure, etc). It changes your life completely for those nine months - you can't drink, you can't smoke, you have people invading your personal space all of the time (unwanted touching of your belly by strangers, ultra sounds, etc). And then you have to give birth, which is extraordinarily painful.

I have issues with people being forced to do almost anything - I believe in every person choosing what is right for them as much as possible. Having such an invasion of bodily autonomy be enforced is just abhorrant to me.

I agree completely with this post.

I hate it when people just say "oh, if you were raped, or can't take care of your baby, just have it, and put it up for adoption". Just carrying the baby to term is a long and difficult ordeal, especially if you know that you'll just put it up for adoption afterwards. Furthermore, our adoption system is already overloaded with too many children who have no homes.

I agree completely with this post.

I hate it when people just say "oh, if you were raped, or can't take care of your baby, just have it, and put it up for adoption". Just carrying the baby to term is a long and difficult ordeal, especially if you know that you'll just put it up for adoption afterwards. Furthermore, our adoption system is already overloaded with too many children who have no homes.

Yeah, I agree. It doesn't make any sense to me why someone who is raped should have to go through with the pregnancy. Adding to all of this, it would probably be really traumatizing for her during the pregnancy because she would probably be thinking of how this pregnancy came to occur the entire time (i.e. the rape). It would take much longer for her to recover from the rape & be able to go on with her life happily if she had to go through with the pregnancy.

By saying this, I'm not demeaning in any way women whom are raped who choose to go through with the pregnancy. I think it's a personal choice.

I will make my opinion very clear, and very simple.

Since you have the First Amended Right today to speak freely about your opinions of abortion, women should also be reserved the right to morally make the choice for themselves.

Abortion is, quite simply, a woman's choice. It can be dangerous. It effects her body forever. In American, having a baby is a costly ordeal, where some people aren't covered by health care. There are so many children who are in the foster system already, why add more because a pack of cells with no conscience at all MAY become a baby? And I say may, because there's lots of things which can and do got wrong with the baby's growth.

I think there obviously needs to be a limit on the growth of the baby. But within the first two months, if one can, and once isn't prepared for a baby, it's their decision. Males should not dictate this decision in the slightest. The fetus's life should not be valued over the women's.

Well im going to start off by saying that im too lazy to read all the posts that came before the page im on so sorry if anyone has already brought this up.

I feel that abortion should be available to anyone who is in need of it. If you disagree with this statement besides any reason, save for religion I would love to hear it but if you disagree with it because of your religion let me ask you this; why do you feel that you are entitled to force your religious practice on other people? You all preach about the first amendment and your right to free speech but what about the other topic that is covered by this amendment, freedom of religion?

If you push the government to make abortions illegal because your view is clouded by a flawed(I mean no offense just saying there are some holes in it) religion what is going to happen to the people who really need it like the single Muslim woman who was just raped, the unemployed couple that can't afford to have a child or raise one, or the woman who can't talk to her parents now because they have shunned her because of one mistake.

Now going to another topic what is going to some of those children once they are born? For the raped: The child will have to grow up in a broken home with no ability to even know who his father was or is and will most likely be ridiculed by his peers for being an accident/bastard/or having a whore mother. Now i could go on and on about different scenarios but i simply don't have the capacity to try to rationalize with religious bigots and if you take one thing from this post let it be this

TRY AND PUT YOURSELF IN THEIR SHOES

TRY AND PUT YOURSELF IN THEIR SHOES

Yea, before you are put into a situation where you are pregnant and are unable to care for your baby for whatever reason, it is might be hard to imagine what you might do. I've found that many people I know used to be very against abortion, but when it comes to them being pregnant, or their children/ family, they see abortion in a different light. In fact one of them is still very against abortion, but she thinks the one she has was "different" from everyone else's :rolleyes_anim:

Amazing point

I agree with this.

I'm a big lover of children, and to look at a baby and think that if his or her parents would have chosen to abort them, we'd be missing out on another beautiful child.

I agree with abortion in certain condition, but not to just anyone who opens their legs.

I believe that sex should only happen if you're willing to accept what may come with it.

I think abortion is okay if protection was used, but failed.

But if you just said "oh, nothing will happen."

Tough luck.

I encourage people considering abortion to just consider carrying the baby for the few months they have, and if they choose not to take care of it, put it out for adoption.

A lot of people think if you put babies up for adoption they will be stuck in some orphanage growing up with no love or care.

But it's incredibly easy to find an adoptee, most of the time you can find one before the baby is even born.

You can have it open or closed (which means you can either choose to have some contact with the child, or nothing at all) and I think if someone is willing to put that much money into finding/adopting a child, then they really want to be a parent and will give that child all the love they can give it.

Edit: I would also like to add that even though there are a ton of free prenatal health clinics here, they're not everywhere

and that's another circumstance I think abortion is okay with.

Someone who doesn't have health insurance or a free clinic nearby and cannot afford the care the baby and theirself needs, they should have the right to abort.

It's not only a hazard to the baby (we don't need an physically and/or mentally ill baby coming into this world if it can be prevented), it's also a major hazard to the mother, it can even be life threatening, and to me, that mother's life is more important that that cluster of cells.

To be honest, I think this debate is a moot point, but only because it is impossible to prevent someone from having an abortion if that is truly what they want. If abortion clinics or methods are not easily available, then a desperate individual may turn to an unsafe, home remedy to abort their fetus. I see it kind of like how certain hardcore drugs are illegal, yet people still manage to cook them up in their basements or smuggle them in from other countries.

I agree with the others who have said that it is the INDIVIDUAL'S CHIOCE. No one can make this decision for another person. The chioce is deeply personal. However, what we can do is make sure that abortion is a last resort. People should have easier access to birth control and learn how to properly utilize it. I cannot believe how many friends I know who have condoms, but "in the heat of the moment" are either too distracted or feel too awkward to stop things to put one on. Young adults need more comprehensive sex ed to drum into their heads the importance of birth control.

One of my best friends had 3 abortions, one of them into her 2nd trimester, and for no other reason than she was too young, wasn't ready or just didn't want it.. As much as I loved her, part of me was really angry with her for it as I am unable to have children of my own.. Hers were unnecessary and therefore I don't agree with it..

However, I heard of a woman in the states who was pregnant, got diagnosed with cancer, was told that if she didn't terminate the pregnancy, both she and the baby would die.. The state she lived in did not allow the termination because of the "personhood" law and yep, they both died. The excuse? It was God's will... Bullpucky..

Abortion is such a touchy issue, so many variables... I don't agree with abortion without medical reason or say if the woman was raped and carrying to term would be too emotionally damaging to her.. It's hard for someone like me who is DYING to have a kid and can't, watch these women (or teenagers) breeding like rabbits because they can't take the time to pop a pill or at the very least make the man wear a condom and just waltz down to a clinic and get it "taken care of" when there are so many other women out there like me who would give an arm or a leg or both to adopt..

I don't know, just my take on it..

To be honest, I think this debate is a moot point, but only because it is impossible to prevent someone from having an abortion if that is truly what they want. If abortion clinics or methods are not easily available, then a desperate individual may turn to an unsafe, home remedy to abort their fetus. I see it kind of like how certain hardcore drugs are illegal, yet people still manage to cook them up in their basements or smuggle them in from other countries.

I agree with the others who have said that it is the INDIVIDUAL'S CHIOCE. No one can make this decision for another person. The chioce is deeply personal. However, what we can do is make sure that abortion is a last resort. People should have easier access to birth control and learn how to properly utilize it. I cannot believe how many friends I know who have condoms, but "in the heat of the moment" are either too distracted or feel too awkward to stop things to put one on. Young adults need more comprehensive sex ed to drum into their heads the importance of birth control.

I agree. Women have tried some terrible things in the past to have an abortion when it was not legal. Not just the coat hanger- that's almost safe in comparison to some things. I have heard stories of women inserting explosives into their cave chias -- needless to say, they did not survive.

Sex education is so, so, so important. It boggles the mind sometimes how little people are taught.

One of my best friends had 3 abortions, one of them into her 2nd trimester, and for no other reason than she was too young, wasn't ready or just didn't want it.. As much as I loved her, part of me was really angry with her for it as I am unable to have children of my own.. Hers were unnecessary and therefore I don't agree with it..

However, I heard of a woman in the states who was pregnant, got diagnosed with cancer, was told that if she didn't terminate the pregnancy, both she and the baby would die.. The state she lived in did not allow the termination because of the "personhood" law and yep, they both died. The excuse? It was God's will... Bullpucky..

Abortion is such a touchy issue, so many variables... I don't agree with abortion without medical reason or say if the woman was raped and carrying to term would be too emotionally damaging to her.. It's hard for someone like me who is DYING to have a kid and can't, watch these women (or teenagers) breeding like rabbits because they can't take the time to pop a pill or at the very least make the man wear a condom and just waltz down to a clinic and get it "taken care of" when there are so many other women out there like me who would give an arm or a leg or both to adopt..

I don't know, just my take on it..

I'm sorry that you can't have children, but that doesn't mean that other people should have to give birth to children they don't want, no matter the reason. Giving a child up for adoption, even one that you didn't want, and didn't plan on having, is difficult.

My mum got pregnant when she was 15. She thought about having an abortion, an uncle of hers offered to take her to a clinic when she went on a trip to the UK so her parents wouldn't find out. But she didn't. She carried the foetus to term, and gave it up for adoption. She has told me how hard it was, how much she grew attached to it, but she could never have it. She tried to keep contact with the child, but he didn't really want to.

I think that in the end, having an abortion would have been easier for her, psychologically.

I agree. Women have tried some terrible things in the past to have an abortion when it was not legal. Not just the coat hanger- that's almost safe in comparison to some things. I have heard stories of women inserting explosives into their cave chias -- needless to say, they did not survive.

Sex education is so, so, so important. It boggles the mind sometimes how little people are taught.

I'm sorry that you can't have children, but that doesn't mean that other people should have to give birth to children they don't want, no matter the reason. Giving a child up for adoption, even one that you didn't want, and didn't plan on having, is difficult.

My mum got pregnant when she was 15. She thought about having an abortion, an uncle of hers offered to take her to a clinic when she went on a trip to the UK so her parents wouldn't find out. But she didn't. She carried the foetus to term, and gave it up for adoption. She has told me how hard it was, how much she grew attached to it, but she could never have it. She tried to keep contact with the child, but he didn't really want to.

I think that in the end, having an abortion would have been easier for her, psychologically.

I agree that sex education is important, and I hate how some parents view sex as some taboo subject that if they don't talk about them/don't let them listen to it via sexual education in school, that they won't think about it.

But whether they like it or not, they hear about it from their fellow classmates and from media sources like the internet.

And come on guys, is that really where we want them to learn about sex?

Either way they will figure it out on their own while exploring their bodies.

My cousin's parents wouldn't allow her to go to public school for that reason, they home schooled her all of her life, but she found a boyfriend and had unprotected sex, and now she has a 2 year old baby to take care of.

Sadly, even with sex ed. people still tend to ignore it as if it can't happen to them, which they need a big slap of reality to hit them in the face because yes. it. can.

• 3 weeks later...

Do I think abortion is "alright"? No, killing another living being, even if it is unborn, is not okay. However, I do think that in some cases it is necessary. I think abortion should be legal, but only if the situation has been properly assessed and the mother doesn't simply think she can go sleeping around all she wants without protection because if she gets pregnant she can just "kill" it. Just look at this: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110107215259AAixI4s It makes me sick. -_-

Do I think abortion is "alright"? No, killing another living being, even if it is unborn, is not okay. However, I do think that in some cases it is necessary. I think abortion should be legal, but only if the situation has been properly assessed and the mother doesn't simply think she can go sleeping around all she wants without protection because if she gets pregnant she can just "kill" it. Just look at this: http://answers.yahoo...07215259AAixI4s It makes me sick. -_-

That person sounds kind of like a troll to me. You think she would realise that doctors generally aren't allowed to have relationships with their patients, so as long as he gives her abortions, he can't (or at least shouldn't) date her. :b

Abortion generally doesn't kill another living thing. It usually kills this:

52dd1.png

Obviously this is a very hot debate even in politics. But I do think abortion is right and should be legalized. Yes you may be killing an unborn baby, but if you are unable to care and nurture for the baby, that is far worse than killing it. Orphanages are full of babies with parents who are unable to care for them, or children with deceased parents. Nonetheless, no one wants the place to be filled up. People make mistakes all the time, and it is impossible to be "perfect", abortion allows people to prevent unwanted children from being born into what be known as an unfair world.

• 2 weeks later...