Investing in Event Items..?

Ethelune

So, I was struck with inspiration and, as a result, have decided to start working on my own, fruit-themed gallery. ^_^ However, I'm currently using my gallery as storage for all the items I've received from past events on the site, including Advent Calendars, Daily Dares, etc.

I'd like to clean out most of these items, holding onto only those that have the potential to increase in value over time... but, well, I need a little help deciding what to keep and what to sell immediately. :* Advice would be very much appreciated!

At the moment, I'm thinking of keeping petpets, plushies, and wearables, including backgrounds, but I really have no clue what else may be valuable in the future. x_x

My gallery is here, for those interested.

Generally, the best things to keep are consumables (food, books, stamps, etc), weapons and wearables. Since toys, plushies, and most "special" items can't be "used" (eaten, read, etc), the millions that are released after the economy remain in the economy, unless they're discarded or fed to a skeith or something :P

However, depending on the plushies and petpets, they can be quite profitable, but not usually after being given out in the mass quantities after events.

the value of event items are determined by the factors that affect demand, and the supply. Since we can expect the supply to continually decrease at a some sort of rate (item holders quit/frozen, items are lost in discard,random events, pets eating/using/reading it), in theory the price should go up. The likely way items become lost is through item holders quitting/being frozen. If the item is a commodity like altador strength potions, in theory, those should inflate in the long run, but surprisingly, the supply of altador strength potions is quite high so that could take a while. However, the liquidity of the item can drop a lot if many players simply forget about the event items/don't care about it.

Now, imo, the majority of players whom wants to buy event items are collectors. So, we can still say that toys, plushies and special items will still inflate because collectors often collect a category of some sort, whether it be toys or bd equip. What you should probably analyze are three factors: the amt of points people generally earned, the points to get the item, the type/usability of the item.

Ex: Dangerous Artefact Keyring is cheap because:

1) its the cheapest thing you can get from the faerie ruin prize shop

2) Points where relatively plentiful in the event

3) it is not a usable commodity for the most part. (toy)

Generally, the best things to keep are consumables (food, books, stamps, etc), weapons and wearables. Since toys, plushies, and most "special" items can't be "used" (eaten, read, etc), the millions that are released after the economy remain in the economy, unless they're discarded or fed to a skeith or something :P

However, depending on the plushies and petpets, they can be quite profitable, but not usually after being given out in the mass quantities after events.

I've assumed that petpets and plushies, which seem to be some of the most collected items, would be the most profitable, while the demand for candy or food would be nonexistent... but I see your point. There's such a massive amount of them circulating that I can't envision only a few remaining, even in several years.

The only downside is that I use the books and stamps, so... can't keep those, unfortunately. :P

If the item is a commodity like altador strength potions, in theory, those should inflate in the long run, but surprisingly, the supply of altador strength potions is quite high so that could take a while.

Actually, I just used all of my remaining points from the Faeries' Ruin on Altador Strength Potions, so I could sell them on the Trading Post. I knew the price would most likely inflate in the future, if I were patient enough to wait... but I needed the NP. :S

Thank you for the advice! I think I'll begin sorting through my current gallery soon... or, at the very least, just shove everything back into my safety deposit box. ;)

what i did when i realized that i had stuff from the haunted woods plot ages ago that i hadn't redeemed:

1. look up the selling price

2. find ratio between selling price and # points it took

3. buy everything with highest ratio

4. ???

5. profit!

lol. uh figured i'd make fun of a meme as i shared, enjoy.