My main account was frozen today

Keladry

It's a good thing, though. My main account was hacked a week and a half ago. I sent in a ticket right away but it was really hard to look at my lookup and see that it said I'd been on less than a day ago. I'd look at it everyday and finally today it was frozen! When I finally get it back, hopefully everything I owned wont be gone. At least I'll have the credit of all my trophies, avatars, and pets....

Did you have PINs on your bank, shop, ect? Even though apparently cookie grabbers and the like can still steal these numbers, it's just one more barrier to protect your account. The times I've had problems with my account being hacked, they went for the bank account, pure np and left my items, shop and SDB alone. Let us know how it turns out. I hope TNT gets it sorted out soon for you *fingers crossed*

Thanks for your hope. I did have PINs, on everything. They changed my email address though so I think they got my PIN somehow. I don't visit many sites besides Neo, facebook, deviantart, tumblr, and my email so I really don't know how my cookies were stolen from my cookie jar. I'd just bought a faerie PB to paint a pet but then reconsidered and stuck it in my SDB. So I really hope that's still there. Otherwise I can get my neopoints back over time...

That's rough. There are a number of ways you can be CG'd, from clicking bad link to visiting a shop that has a CG script in it. It's quite hard to spot "suspicious" shops because CGers will try hard to make themselves look legit. Both times my old main was CG'd, they went after np only. I'm thinking it's becuase it's harder to trace than transferring items? If anyone could verify this hypothesis, it would be interesting to know. How did you know your account had been hacked, btw? I clicked to collect my interest one day and noticed my bank balance was at 0. Though I foolishly didn't report it, just changed my password and went on my way.

I really hope you get your account back. I'm starting to think it's best to use different pins for the different parts of Neopets. I've never been cged, and I have pins on everything.. But then I didn't know cgers can get pin information :S TNT takes their own sweet time sorting things out, and hopefully you didn't lose much. A week and a half is a pretty long time.

Well I noticed because on Friday the 26th I tried logging in to my account and it said my password was wrong. So then I told it to email me my password, it didn't come. Then I told it to email me all my accounts and my main didn't show up, my two sides did though. That's when I filed my ticket. On Saturday it said I'd last logged in 'one day ago' and on Sunday it changed to 'under one day.' Since I knew it wasn't me I knew it was a hacker for sure. I made my side account my temporary main. I also checked my gallery every other day. Most items in there weren't worth that much since it's all prizes from the Altador Cup, but one background is worth 150k because apparently not many people were on Virtupets the very first year they gave out backgrounds.

I'm sorry that happened! I really hope you have good luck getting it all back. Is it easy for people to hack into accounts using these bad links? Either way, since you had PINs on everything I doubt they could get into much. I just hope TNT sorts this out quickly for you, it would be pretty stressful for me to be locked out so I can feel your frustration!

Despite their claims to be very concerned with site security, their actions sure don't seem to show it. I've posted here before about the email mixup I had with another user where I was getting emailed about her pets checking out of the neolodge and then how I got sent her password, so if I wanted to, I could log into her account. I wouldn't do it and I keep updating the ticket. Now, almost 2 months later, I'm still getting emails regarding the account and TNT hasn't responded to my ticket, other than to close it, saying it was "Solved" when it obviously isn't. I even tried phoning, but after being on hold forever, I hung up. It's really sad that they appear to care so little about users' security

Wow, Stream, that is really bad on TNT's part. They should really have checked to make sure it was all sorted out. I wonder if that person's account was switched to your email address and that's the reason. What did that user say about the affair?

I'm just glad that if I can't get on my account, then the hacker can't get on either. I am however missing out on avatars and new activities. For example the Forgotten Shore Map.

That's another problem. I can't even contact the user because she's apparently under 13, doesn't have parental consent and so, apparently can't receive neomail. I'm really running out of ideas. I think I'm going to have to just keep updating the support ticket every time I get emails about the account until I finally get a human response and not an automated one.

In regards to your missing out on the Forgotten Shore, it's probably not so bad right now. The prices for the pieces are quite sporadic. Hopefully when you get your account back they will have settled down a little

Oh no! :sad01_anim:

I hope you get your account back in one piece, Kel. At least it's a frozen for protection and not a misunderstanding. You can always work to save up enough to buy the pieces of the FSM and then send them to your main when it gets unfrozen.

I wish they would set it up so that any password changes would have to be verified with the email on the account. And any email address changes have to be verified by sending an email to the current email address. It would really help people who run into problems like this. I think I'll shoot a suggestion ticket over to TNT now with this.

Definitely send them that suggestion. It would make security so much tighter, and many other websites have this procedure as standard.

Thank you to all of you for your support. I did make my side account my main for now so I've gotten a few of the FSM pieces and traded my extras for others rather than buy since the prices are so sporadic.

Shanemk, I really like your suggestion. I think I'll submit it to TNT as well. It would prevent a whole lot of hackers gaining accounts. The only problem is what if someone no longer has access to the email that is associated with it. Then they can't confirm or deny the email change.