Need help with Video Screen Capturing / Print Screening

Powie

Hey guys,

I'm interested to make a guide for TDN for Dubloon Disaster, and I want to include a few videos and screenshots to show exactly what I'm trying to describe. Problem is, I'm not familiar with recording videos and taking screenshots on the fly. You can imagine it would be difficult to take a screenshot, paste it on paint, then still be alive in the game.

That being said, can anyone guide me to any such programs? What I'm looking for is:

1. A screenshotting program that can take a screenshot and save it somewhere first, so that I can take a look at all the screenshots later.

2. A video recording program that would be able to export into a small file size.

Thanks in advance :)

There is a Firefox extension called Screengrab! that allows you to take a screenshot on the fly. I've tested it and it works well.

I don't have any suggestion for a video screen capture though...

Fraps is a pretty good program for filming what you do on your computer. Should run real well if you're just capturing your browser activity as well.

I recommend using Techsmith Snagit for your screen captures. Everytime you press the printscreen button it will automatically load each image captured in the gallery automatically after which you can select which images you want to save. As for video recording there's a lot of alternatives out there. Some are free so best is to Google. :laughingsmiley:

Xephia, Techsmith has a screen recording software for Mac as well. I think it's called Camtasia. Can't really remember, but yup.

I recommend using Techsmith Snagit for your screen captures. Everytime you press the printscreen button it will automatically load each image captured in the gallery automatically after which you can select which images you want to save. As for video recording there's a lot of alternatives out there. Some are free so best is to Google. :laughingsmiley:

Xephia, Techsmith has a screen recording software for Mac as well. I think it's called Camtasia. Can't really remember, but yup.

Thanks DSilver. I actually have SnagIt installed but I didn't know it could actually record video?! o_O It worked great! I just recorded a video and took screencaps by pausing and taking a picture.

The reason I didn't initially use SnagIt is that every time you press the print screen button it will let you choose if you want a region/window/full screen picture. Anyways, the recording feature is definitely amazing.

Oh, and the program you're talking about is indeed Camtasia. It's a program developed by Techsmith as well.

Xepha, if you only need a simple video recording program, just take SnagIt. Camtasia is more for advanced video editing. You can find SnagIt here: http://www.techsmith.com/snagit/

Guest Yoshinho

For screen capturing, there is the snipping tool which is built into Windows Vista and 7, just search for it in the start menu.

For video, I like Camstudio, works good for me.