Neopets Players: More Male or Female?

Powie

35 members have voted

1. 1. Neopets has more players of which gender?

• Male
    • Female

Wow, I didn't think I'd be in that much of a clear minority by voting male. I did think it was kind of a 50/50 thing or close to it though, not that there are a lot more members of one gender of another.

I don't think the site is skewed towards one gender or another tbh. There are plenty of 'girlie' pets (faerie, baby etc) and more 'butch' ones (halloween, zombie, mutant) and there are lot of activities that would appeal to guys eg battledome, pirates etc as much as there is towards girls.

I just did a quick search to see if I could find a statistic, and in a 6 year old paper on immersive advertising on children's sites, it mentioned that in 2003 the breakdown was 57% female to 43% male, so not a huge swing at all.

Well, remember, the poll was "Neopets has more players of which gender?", and people are supposed to guess which one. This isn't a poll saying "How many girls are there more as opposed to boys". thus far, nobody has actually mentioned a number regarding the debate (besides you), they've just said that there are more girls, which, is seemingly correct based on your evidence.

I think there are probably more females on Neo. And I feel like female gender Neopets may be more sought out too? I was recently looking at an adoption agency and whenever there was a male pet, there was a side note that said if the gender could or could not be changed to female, but the female pets didn't have the same note *-* As for the kid-oriented thing; I have to agree with that. Looking at the home page, there's nothing I see that leans it toward trying to appeal more to either gender. And isn't the default site theme yellow? Unisex color ^^

• 4 weeks later...

I think neopets actually works well as a unisex site, probably more so at the beginning. Probably to those who don't play it, it might look femine, with dressing up cute pets and playing some casual games with some social networking. But you got all sorts of pets and colours and a large selection of games. You can get competitive by displaying rare items on your pets or you can dress them up pretty. Depends on how you view it. Same with the games themselves. A quick game while you're board, or aim for a high score trophy.

On the neoboards, I'd expect more females, but maybe more males at the battledome. More females on the boards would make it look like there's way more when it's probably not by that much.

This topic has been edited by a member of staff (Spritzie) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please do not bump topics over 21 days old.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

Per the reason above, this topic has been LOCKED. Please contact Spritzie if you have any questions regarding this action.