The Painting Conundrum

Lady Kakata

Let's say you got a paintbrush, a FFQ (YOU LUCKY JELLYBEAN) or a new paint has come out for your species. Do you ever have a debate as to wither or not you want to paint your pet?

I have a Xweetok, Moorlough. I loved Faerie pets and I would like to have a Faerie Xweetok. But I have serious doubts about painting Moorlough as a Faerie; I really like her as Striped. She really suits it and the outfit I've picked for her from the Mall just looks gorgeous with the Striped colours, especially her hairclip (jade green with powder blue and lilac for the win!), and these things just wouldn't work with her Faerie colours

So yeah, I love Faerie, but I'd have serious doubts as to wither or not to make Moorlough Faerie. Since she's a born Xweetok, I assume she'd have that flying stance that Faerie Xweetoks are supposed to be? Since I've seen Faerie Xweetoks in a sitting stance I'm confused about that part.

She was zapped by Boochie into Baby. I know Baby is a sought after colour, but after a week or two telling myself I was lucky to be zapped, I really had to paint her back to Striped as I adored her colours.

Do you have debates like that?

Yes! This is one of my big dilemmas. When I came back to Neopets a couple years ago, I only had my 4 original pets from when I created my account in 2002. 3 of the 4 were still their original colors. (I had painted my Red Jubjub, Rainbow before I took a break. My Shoyru was still blue, as was my Lupe, and my Kougra was still Green.)

I found it really hard to even think of painting them after they'd been their original colors so long. As each of their pet days passed, I'd debate about the new colors.

Of those 3 unpainted, I've now painted 1 of them. My Kougra is now Speckled. I saw the way it looked when it was released for Kougras, and loved it and knew it would be perfect. I had no doubts, and painted him 10 minutes later. And I love it.

With my Lupe, I haven't found anything right for him yet, so until something really jumps out at me, he'll remain blue.

And with my Shoyru, I really want to paint her Faerie (I almost did years ago, and wish I had, because she'd be UC now.) or Maractite. I'm seriously considering Maractite, though I'm still having trouble making the jump.

I think for me, unless I just know, without a doubt, I wait. I've found that if I'm unsure, I'm more likely to regret it later.

I have wanted a maraquan eyrie since before the maraquan colour even came out for the eyrie. When it did finally come out, i was ecstatic, and i was even more ecstatic when I got an FFQ and was able to paint my Eyrie! I've never had a second thought that she was meant to be an maraquan.

So yeah, I love Faerie, but I'd have serious doubts as to wither or not to make Moorlough Faerie. Since she's a born Xweetok, I assume she'd have that flying stance that Faerie Xweetoks are supposed to be? Since I've seen Faerie Xweetoks in a sitting stance I'm confused about that part.

Unfortunately, Faerie Xweetoks are only in the flying stance if they're unconverted. If you painted Moorlough, she'd be in the sitting stance... which is far less majestic, in my opinion. :(

I understand your dilemma! Originally, my Rowanan was a Shoyru... but, as much as I love the species, none of the colors available truly stood out to me. Eventually, I spent my entire bank account on a Shadow Shoyru Morphing Potion, since that was the only color I felt fit him well.

... then, not long afterwards, I discovered the Darigan Chomby and fell head over heels in love with the design. x_x I spent months saving for a magical plushie and paintbrush, since I would've rather just morphed Rowanan than get a whole new pet.

I agree with Spritzie that – especially when you lack a wealth of Neopoints – waiting for the right color is best. If it helps, I think you made a great decision – Moorlough is gorgeous! ;)

I find the higher the cost of the paint brush, the more I debate. Painting my Kau Christmas? Hardly thought about it. Painting a pet grey? Went around and around and around because the PB's were about 4.5 mil. Using a FFQ? I went back and forth between alien aisha and pirate lutari for weeks. Alien won. Painting my lutari anything? Big debate largely because most of my PB clothes are from zapping foster pets and I can't do that with a lutari. I know if they come out with a Christmas color, I will want it if it has clothes. Same for Halloween. And most likely any other color with clothes. Although at this point, it's not so bad because I like brown as a base color and brown is more reasonable than many other colors.

I've never had too much of a problem before; I always wanted my Yurble to be painted Biscuit, and they have stubbornly remained my favourite species and colour; when I returned to Neopets, I had to get a Biscuit Yurble a.s.a.p. I was actually quite shocked at how Biscuit PB prices had deflated - when I painted my first Yurble Biscuit, the PB costed me 250k, whereas now it's about 80k.

As for my other pets, I was actually sort of indecisive, and I relied on Neocolours to see which ones I liked. I was perfectly fine leaving them in basic colours, and then just later deciding what looks best on each one. Actually, my Ruki was painted Biscuit because it fitted her customisation, and I'm currently saving up for a Halloween PB and a Skunk PB for my Bori.

I don't really have personal color debates too much as I often stick with plain or simple colours as I'm an avid customiser. However, there have been times where I couldn't decide the colour of one of my pets, and in the end, I usually keep them a basic. For the most part, long before I create the pet I have an idea of his species and colour before he is created. Some debates had arose in the past, such as when I returned to Neo in 2008 to find that if I were to paint Shuhune, my Aisha, Darigan, she wouldn't look as nice anymore due to conversion. I had even considered not going with Darigan after all, though that was a dream goal of mine since the Darigan Aisha was released in 2004. This debate over whether or not to paint her Darigan lasted for, eh, about 5 minutes, in the end I decided "Oh never mind, I'll paint her Darigan anyway. Besides, I have an advantage now that I wouldn't be able to have if she were painted before the site change." So I did exactly that, went and painted her Darigan, and I'm pretty happy with the results.

With Mweetho, I also ran into colour issues. I couldn't really figure out his character yet, though I was beginning to piece together that he is a cute, child Xweetok. When the prize shop for the Faerie's Ruin opened, I realized I could afford a Faerie Paint Brush (something I had hoped would be a plot prize), and I instantly bought it, but for a month or two I kept it in my Safety Deposit Box, unsure of what to do with it. I didn't want to sell it, for I was certain I'd want to eventually use it, but on who? It finally dawned on me that this was the colour for Mweetho. I began to realize that this colour could actually tell more about who he is. Not only that, but tell other players that boys can be Faerie too, it is not a girl's only colour. He now is Faerie as a result, and wears the colour with pride. I'm quite happy with my decision.

Honestly, I don't spend much time thinking about it. I always decided what color I wanted to paint each pet, saved up for it, and painted them. I've never changed my mind since. Now it's been a few years since the last time I painted any of them--last I did was turn a pet into a mutant draik. (They're so cool!)

However, I ABSOLUTELY would not paint a pet faerie anymore. The faeries are mostly just regular colors with wings. The Faerie Xweetok has nice colors, but they really are basic colors. I would just paint your pet a better color (or keep it the same) and then buy some wings. My eyrie is currently wearing Cresting Wave Wings :-) (Even though she already has wings naturally...but these ones are so pretty!)

I regularly change my pets colour and/or species, but I suppose the more expensive the paint job or morphing potion the more I'll think about it.

With a cheaper paint brush if I subsequently decide I don't like it I can always change back, but when I have painted a pet pirate or painted over a pirate colour in the past I made sure I took a long time to think it over!

However, I ABSOLUTELY would not paint a pet faerie anymore. The faeries are mostly just regular colors with wings. The Faerie Xweetok has nice colors, but they really are basic colors. I would just paint your pet a better color (or keep it the same) and then buy some wings. My eyrie is currently wearing Cresting Wave Wings :-) (Even though she already has wings naturally...but these ones are so pretty!)

To each their own, but I see nothing wrong with my Xweetok being painted Faerie. The colours on him are nice, and they are not a type of style you can get in any other colour, and it suits him, converted or not. For a Faerie Aisha on the other hand, I'd probably try to apply for a UC. It'd go against my wish for a specific gender however as they're probably all female.

And as for Lady Kataka, I believe you said Striped best fit your Xweetok? If you find that Striped is the best, you may keep her that way. It really comes down to what she's like, and if you're into customising like some of us are, what goes best with her colour as she is? If what you have right now best goes with her stripes, would it go well with Faerie colours?

I have this debate all the time. My jubjub has been disco for ages, and I'm tempted to paint her Island or possibly pirate, but I just don't know if I will regret it and want to paint her back next week :laughingsmiley: I painted my Kougra baby before I took a long break, and I'm disappointed in the (lack of) options regarding customisation, so I think I'm going to paint her soon, despite wanting a baby Kougra for so long. I have a grey aisha I adopted recently to check out the pirate clothing on, as people on the neoboards said they looked great on aishas. Not a huge fan of sad pets so there's another I might paint (or start zapping). Lastly is my first pet, born a Kougra but is now a Cybunny, and I'm thinking of painting her Island or Pirate, or changing species. I can never decide so she is staying as is for now.

In 100 months I haven't managed to score a FFQ :guiltysmiley: I have no idea what I'll do - probably go for an avatar pet though as I still need a few of them, possibly buzzin' although I hate buzzes and don't really like the avatar anyway :rolleyes_anim:

Hmm...some I know, some I don't. Almarka was always going to be Darigan, Coilnara was going to be Halloween( I like the Halloween Hissi), but then Fairie came out for them and I had to buy it(I like the colors, which aren't that basic on the Hissi). Lilikara(on another account) I'm going to paint Halloween, then Darigan(Chomby, I like the Halloween clothes, but the Darigan is a dragon, a nice looking one).

Others, I have no idea. Selrine was my lab rat, until she turned into a Desert Lutari, which I really liked enough to keep. Now if I could just get the Mad scientist to show up to fight....

Unfortunately, Faerie Xweetoks are only in the flying stance if they're unconverted. If you painted Moorlough, she'd be in the sitting stance... which is far less majestic, in my opinion. :(

I agree with Spritzie that – especially when you lack a wealth of Neopoints – waiting for the right color is best. If it helps, I think you made a great decision – Moorlough is gorgeous! ;)

- Aw man :C Shows when I came back to Neopets when I had no idea what UC and MSPP until I found a Neopets dictionary to tell me what it means. I have to say there really should be a button that lets you jump between converted and unconverted. The UC Royalgirl Lupe is a stunning creature!

- Thank you!! ^_^

And as for Lady Kataka, I believe you said Striped best fit your Xweetok? If you find that Striped is the best, you may keep her that way. It really comes down to what she's like, and if you're into customising like some of us are, what goes best with her colour as she is? If what you have right now best goes with her stripes, would it go well with Faerie colours?

- To be honest, when she was painted striped I was very taken with it since the colours were lovely, soft and light. I picked her items to match her Stripes, shopping for a while before I got some Neocash and finally bought them. I don't think they would go as well with Faerie since I picked them to go specifically with Stripes; the same could be said if I shopped for an outfit for a Faerie Xweetok and it wouldn't quite suit a Striped Xweetok. But this is VERY much in the eye of the owner and the 'personality' he or she projects onto her pet XD

I think I've customised Moorlough as far as I want; since I spent quite a bit of time planning her outfit before finally taking the step of getting it for her she's pretty much perfect and there isn't anything in her outfit or background I'm unhappy with unless TNT brings out something even better, which is hard for me to imagine to be honets. It's like a perfect package and taking away one thing (her items or colour) would not quite fit. I just wish there was some kind of Boochi repellent to keep him away from her so I don't need to paint her back to Striped

... Actually, that must be a frightening thought for owners; imagine having a UC Maraquan Draik. And Boochie zaps her to Baby. Could you imagine saving for that Maraquan brush/potion only to have a converted Draik on your hands? :grrr:

- Aw man :C Shows when I came back to Neopets when I had no idea what UC and MSPP until I found a Neopets dictionary to tell me what it means. I have to say there really should be a button that lets you jump between converted and unconverted. The UC Royalgirl Lupe is a stunning creature!

I agree! Coming back to Neopets after having been gone for years – a good seven or eight, at least – and trying to understand all that had changed was really a shock. :S

... Actually, that must be a frightening thought for owners; imagine having a UC Maraquan Draik. And Boochie zaps her to Baby. Could you imagine saving for that Maraquan brush/potion only to have a converted Draik on your hands? :grrr:

Luckily, TNT realized just how frustrating that would be and gave all unconverted pets immunity to color-changing random events. ;) That may not stop Boochi from zapping a beloved Jubjub who's been painted Coconut through a once-in-a-lifetime Fountain Faerie quest, but it's something!

- To be honest, when she was painted striped I was very taken with it since the colours were lovely, soft and light. I picked her items to match her Stripes, shopping for a while before I got some Neocash and finally bought them. I don't think they would go as well with Faerie since I picked them to go specifically with Stripes; the same could be said if I shopped for an outfit for a Faerie Xweetok and it wouldn't quite suit a Striped Xweetok. But this is VERY much in the eye of the owner and the 'personality' he or she projects onto her pet XD

I think I've customised Moorlough as far as I want; since I spent quite a bit of time planning her outfit before finally taking the step of getting it for her she's pretty much perfect and there isn't anything in her outfit or background I'm unhappy with unless TNT brings out something even better, which is hard for me to imagine to be honets. It's like a perfect package and taking away one thing (her items or colour) would not quite fit. I just wish there was some kind of Boochi repellent to keep him away from her so I don't need to paint her back to Striped

And that is very true, matching the colour is another smart choice, as well as the personality. It really is all in the eye of the owner, and what one does with her pets, be it personality, colour, or both. It's also always good to find just the right items, and ending up with something just perfect. This same can be said for my Speckled Gelert - the Neovian outfit I found during the holiday season (the Caorler superpack) was PERFECT for him, so much so I haven't changed a thing since.

I agree, I wish for a Boochi repellant, too, but the best thing to do is to keep you least expensive painted pet active, or a pet that is always a basic colour. Blankstarr is Speckled, so I keep him as my active, and he can easily be repainted if he falls victim to a colour changing Random Event. Got a basic or cheap coloured pet on your hands? The best thing to to would be to keep them as your active.