Annoying Glitches

Felicita

I only started playing Neopets again recently, having been inactive for the past year, I’m encountering this really strange glitch in which by clicking on certain pages, I would become logged in as somebody else’s account.

E.g., if I were to visit my inventory, I would be brought to that page. Instead of seeing *my* inventory, I would see somebody else’s. I’m not actually logged in to that person’s account, because clicking on one of their items would bring up a page that tells me I don’t have that item in my inventory.

I figure that this glitch works both ways, i.e. other people would sometimes become “logged in” as my account as well. This is quite worrying because it gives others access to the items I have in my inventory, the sum of neopoints I have in my bank, my neofriends, etc. This information could possibly allow others to gain access to my account by proving to TNT that the account is theirs. Having just lost my main account a few days ago (password was changed and now it’s frozen), I can’t help but think that that glitch (which I had previously assumed to be harmless) might have been the reason :worried:

I have already submitted a ticket to TNT but it’s taking them ages to respond. Meanwhile, is anyone else encountering the same problem and has managed to fix it? The only short term solution I’ve found is to press F5 every time that glitch comes up (which is almost always).

Oh, and I’ve been able to find patterns in the glitch. Certain pages are associated with certain users, so clicking on inventory would always bring me to User A’s inventory and clicking on my shop till would always bring me to User B’s shop till. Also, I think this only occurs when the users are online, e.g. in the morning, I would see User A and B’s pages and in the afternoon, I would see User C and D’s pages because the former are not online. It’s probably a glitch that is specific to Singapore (I’m currently residing there) because I’ve looked at the profiles of the accounts and their countries are all Singapore.

-------------

Another (much more) minor glitch that might be associated with the first one is that pages don’t update unless I refresh them. I used to restock by clicking on the shopkeepers but I realized that doing so doesn’t really *refresh* the page anymore. I could be doing that for 2 hours straight and the items in the shop would still remain the same. Instead, I have to either press F5 or the refresh button on my browser. Playing non-flash games is also really annoying because I have to refresh after every move, or else I would be shown my previous game. I have tried clearing my cache almost constantly but that didn’t do anything. Restarting my computer solves the problem but it’s an impractical solution because I can’t really restart my computer every time I want to refresh the page of the shop I’m restocking in.

I’m using Google Chrome but I’ve tried other browsers and other computers and both glitches still occur.

Sorry for the wall of text. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated, thanks so much :laughingsmiley:

This issue has been reported before. (Last I heard of it happening was back in March)

But I'll place some of the information we got from a TNT staff member (Snarkie):

Yup. We're fairly certain the "mystery user" thing is an issue with a particular ISP in Singapore. The bank problem is related. Essentially, it thinks you're someone else and freaks out when you try to collect interest. It has nothing to do with malware and your account wasn't compromised. Our guys are looking into it.

Just wanted to clear that up!

I guess they haven't gotten it quite figured out yet, so it was good that you submitted the ticket. Until then, your account isn't compromised or anything.

This issue has been reported before. (Last I heard of it happening was back in March)

But I'll place some of the information we got from a TNT staff member (Snarkie):

I guess they haven't gotten it quite figured out yet, so it was good that you submitted the ticket. Until then, your account isn't compromised or anything.

Thanks for the quick reply :D

Ohh, I found that thread you were talking about. Sorry 'bout creating a new one :* I had only seen this thread http://www.tdnforums.com/index.php?/topic/25158-neopets-glitch/ but I wasn't sure if I should bump it or create a new one.

Any ideas about the second problem?

It was fine that you created a new one, especially since you're having additional issues. :) We ask that posts over 3 weeks old don't get posted on.

I haven't had that issue, and I don't know if anyone else is either, but it kind of sounds like a possible computer issue. We have a computer expert here, I will poke him and ask him to take a look at your description of your issue the next time he's on.

I suspect that purge might have something to do with all of this.

I say this because I created a new account the other day, and when I tried to login to my new account, the password was wrong. Stumped, I looked at the lookup, and it was a very old account that hadn't been logged into. Which was surprising to me, because it said "username available" and I activated the account and all of that, but it's like I really just resurrected some old purged account.

So I'm wondering if when they purge, it's really purged...

And I'm wondering how long ago you created this account that you're speaking of. -_-

Unless, of course, Spritzie already answered the question and I just didn't notice it. Nevermind :P

I'm no computer expert, but that not updating until you refresh thing is solved depending on your browser. Basically what is happening is your browser is loading the page from CACHE (a saved state) so that it loads faster, assuming that nothing on that page changed.

To fix this in IE: http://superuser.com/questions/81182/how-to-force-internet-explorer-ie-to-really-reload-the-page

To fix this in FF: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=391826&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

To fix this in Google Chrome: http://superuser.com/questions/89809/how-to-force-refresh-without-cache-in-google-chrome

I suspect that purge might have something to do with all of this.

I say this because I created a new account the other day, and when I tried to login to my new account, the password was wrong. Stumped, I looked at the lookup, and it was a very old account that hadn't been logged into. Which was surprising to me, because it said "username available" and I activated the account and all of that, but it's like I really just resurrected some old purged account.

So I'm wondering if when they purge, it's really purged...

And I'm wondering how long ago you created this account that you're speaking of. -_-

Unless, of course, Spritzie already answered the question and I just didn't notice it. Nevermind :P

Hehe, thanks for answering anyway :)

I'm no computer expert, but that not updating until you refresh thing is solved depending on your browser. Basically what is happening is your browser is loading the page from CACHE (a saved state) so that it loads faster, assuming that nothing on that page changed.

To fix this in IE: http://superuser.com/questions/81182/how-to-force-internet-explorer-ie-to-really-reload-the-page

To fix this in FF: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=391826&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

To fix this in Google Chrome: http://superuser.com/questions/89809/how-to-force-refresh-without-cache-in-google-chrome

I tried doing that and it does lessen the problem in the sense that I don't have to restart my computer anymore, but I still have to refresh the page to see the updated version :\ But cheers for the link!

----

Also, I got a reply from TNT. I think I will post it here in case someone else is facing the same issues too.

Hi -------!

Thanks for writing! We are sorry that you are seeing pages that are being requested by other users! The good news is that you won't be able to make any changes to another user's account for better or worse and you actually are logged in to the correct area!

We've ran this issue by our code myncis who have asked us to tell you that this is not something we can fix or control on our side. They have recommended that you contact your ISP (internet service provider) and tell them that you are seeing pages requested by other users. This is something they should be able to troubleshoot for you.

Thanks for your understanding!

------., The Neopets Team

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Spritzie) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please don't double post. If you would like to add something, use the 'Edit' button.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

what a terrible glitch! D: i've heard about this problem before (the one where you see other people's inventories), but i never knew anyone who was actually experiencing it.

i get the second issue quite often in firefox, idk why. :/ that's why i always switch to IE now when i play non-flash games. it's annoying, but at least it's a temporary solution. i know you said that the issue still exists for you in browsers other than chrome, so maybe that won't work for you...here's to hoping that you'll find an effective solution quickly! <3

what a terrible glitch! D: i've heard about this problem before (the one where you see other people's inventories), but i never knew anyone who was actually experiencing it.

i get the second issue quite often in firefox, idk why. :/ that's why i always switch to IE now when i play non-flash games. it's annoying, but at least it's a temporary solution. i know you said that the issue still exists for you in browsers other than chrome, so maybe that won't work for you...here's to hoping that you'll find an effective solution quickly! <3

Hmm... the two issues you're seeing may very well be linked, but it's also possible that you're seeing the result of a poorly written extension triggering some sort of overzealous caching behaviour, or perhaps some sort of misbehaving caching software or malware on your computer. From the fact that restarting your computer seems to solve the problem, I get the impression there's software of some sort messing with your networking at the operating system level. Do you perhaps have an internet accelerator or some similar software installed? If not, have you swept your computer for malware lately?

that is the strangest glitch i've ever heard of o_O the only glitches i ever get are with customization...and they keep randomly freezing my husbands account for no reason. like seriously, every other month. he doesn't even log on very often.