What happened to the Team Songs?

I could have sworn there was a board on them last night...what happened? Is talk of team songs illegal?

Anyway, I'm strating to download them, and Altador has me both disappointed and worried. Did you guys stop using popular songs for the team songs? Why?

I could have sworn there was a board on them last night...what happened? Is talk of team songs illegal?

Hmm... that's odd. If it was a board here on TDNF, it should still be here. We have no control over the Neoboards however.

Anyway, I'm strating to download them, and Altador has me both disappointed and worried. Did you guys stop using popular songs for the team songs? Why?

Well, I'm going to have to hold up my hand here as the guy to point fingers at if the team songs end up disappointing you. :) We didn't use any especially 'popular' songs (most of which are under restrictive copyright) this time round, partly out of a minor concern for TDN getting hit with a DMCA takedown notice (we could argue fair use in defence of this, but we don't exactly have a lot of legal resources - fortunately we're small enough to slip under the radar in most cases), but also partly out of my personal interest in trying to promote lesser-known artists who've opted to make their music freely available.

All the team songs this year are licensed under Creative Commons meaning they're free for you to listen to and share however you like. Now, this did mean we weren't able to pick songs from a lot of the more popular artists who don't use Creative Commons (although there are plenty of great CC artists out there, several of which are represented in this year's team song selection). This is something I was aware of when I started pushing CC for our team songs, and in fact I opted not to try restricting ourselves entirely to CC music, in case that took away too many of our options. In the end however, we got enough good CC music suggestions to put a set together, and that's what's on our team pages now.

I do realise this might not be to everyone's taste, and if it isn't I apologise. At least you know who to blame now (either me or American copyright law - take your pick :P ). I do hope you discover some great music you weren't aware of before though!

(If you really do hate this year's team songs that much, there's nothing stopping you from posting your own picks by the way - it's not likely we'll get legal attacks over posts on our forums, since we explicitly disclaim legal responsibility for their contents. :whistle: )

Hmm... that's odd. If it was a board here on TDNF, it should still be here. We have no control over the Neoboards however.

Well, I'm going to have to hold up my hand here as the guy to point fingers at if the team songs end up disappointing you. :) We didn't use any especially 'popular' songs (most of which are under restrictive copyright) this time round, partly out of a minor concern for TDN getting hit with a DMCA takedown notice (we could argue fair use in defence of this, but we don't exactly have a lot of legal resources - fortunately we're small enough to slip under the radar in most cases), but also partly out of my personal interest in trying to promote lesser-known artists who've opted to make their music freely available.

All the team songs this year are licensed under Creative Commons meaning they're free for you to listen to and share however you like. Now, this did mean we weren't able to pick songs from a lot of the more popular artists who don't use Creative Commons (although there are plenty of great CC artists out there, several of which are represented in this year's team song selection). This is something I was aware of when I started pushing CC for our team songs, and in fact I opted not to try restricting ourselves entirely to CC music, in case that took away too many of our options. In the end however, we got enough good CC music suggestions to put a set together, and that's what's on our team pages now.

I do realise this might not be to everyone's taste, and if it isn't I apologise. At least you know who to blame now (either me or the American legal system - take your pick :P ). I do hope you discover some great music you weren't aware of before though!

Really! Well, thanks a whole bunch for clearing that up. I do not blame you, I blame the American legal system. XD I understand why you would choose to do something like this, since you have been using pop songs for the past couple of years (I've had some good team song ideas for this year myself, even though they're not CC).

I love underrated things, so I might recognise a song or two you chose that nobody else knows! Now I'm all the more curious. :) I can't wait to hear the others! And no, I am not mad at you in the least.

xD That's great to hear! I love introducing people to underrated things myself (although I'm something of a newbie when it comes to musical taste, admittedly).

One thing's for sure though - our traditional team song guessing is going to be a lot harder this year. :P

You sure bet it will be!

Hey, every once in a while we need to try things differently. I remember the songs for AC III (yes that was a long time ago!) I'm not sure what those were, they sounded like remixes of some sort.

Oh wow. AC III. That's really ancient history. I don't think I was even a staffer at that point. xD

By the way, apologies in advance to Team Faerieland for any negative connotations in their team song. I had no idea what it might imply when I was picking it, I just thought it sounded great for you, even though Faerieland is no longer in the sky. :P

Alas, yes. I am also one of the disappointed folk and I'm glad you posted this so it looks like I'm not the only one. :P

The thing is, the Altador Cup team changed this year and they decided to go with more "legal" songs, if you may. Though they might not appeal to the general crowd too much, they are less likely to get TDN hit with a cease and desist letter from some random angry copyright record or something.

As former TDN Staffer here (this is a different account, don't be fooled) who used to pick the team songs and for all those who aren't very happy, I'll be posting my regular "mainstream"-ish playlist later this afternoon on a separate thread.

I'll be keeping an eye out for that one HBK. :) I take it you don't recognise any of the CC songs? :P

Well yes, that's definitely true. xD The song for Team Faerieland is actually quite popular as far as independent work goes however - I actually picked up on that one when it topped the charts on a CC music podcast I follow.

That said... there seem to be a slightly excessive number of pirate-related Creative Commons songs out there. :P

Well yes, that's definitely true. xD The song for Team Faerieland is actually quite popular as far as independent work goes however - I actually picked up on that one when it topped the charts on a CC music podcast I follow.

That said... there seem to be a slightly excessive number of pirate-related Creative Commons songs out there. :P

FL's theme song I consider actually to be the worst pick...rap/hip-hop doesn't really go well with FL. MQ's was pretty awesome though.

And that would be because KI (and pirates in general) rock(s). :)

Heh, I can't really argue on the pirates point. xD Or on the genre selection part either (FL's song is officially listed as R&B ), not being very good at matching songs to genres in the first place. Out of curiosity though, do you consider FL to be a pop team?

Oh, and thanks on the MQ pick by the way - that was one of mine, although I wasn't too sure about it at first.

Heh, I can't really argue on the pirates point. xD Or on the genre selection part either (FL's song is officially listed as R&B ), not being very good at matching songs to genres in the first place. Out of curiosity though, do you consider FL to be a pop team?

Oh, and thanks on the MQ pick by the way - that was one of mine, although I wasn't too sure about it at first.

FL is definitely a pop team. They are possibly the most pop out of all the teams because they immediately reminded of me of Katy Perry's Teenage Dream album cover (well, when they were still in the sky).

Plus, FL appeals to the younger masses, and younger audiences generally listen to pop (y'know, Selena, Demi, Miley, etc...).

Alas, yes. I am also one of the disappointed folk and I'm glad you posted this so it looks like I'm not the only one. :P

The thing is, the Altador Cup team changed this year and they decided to go with more "legal" songs, if you may. Though they might not appeal to the general crowd too much, they are less likely to get TDN hit with a cease and desist letter from some random angry copyright record or something.

As former TDN Staffer here (this is a different account, don't be fooled) who used to pick the team songs and for all those who aren't very happy, I'll be posting my regular "mainstream"-ish playlist later this afternoon on a separate thread.

Yeah, but they stopped you from doing that! So I can't get them. Oh well I had some of my own ideas anyway, by reading what people have guessed, I've thought of ones even better, such as Jai Ho for Lost Desert (Slumdog Millionaire, anyone?)

But, regarding what you were saying about KI's song, you are right, AA, there are tons of good CC pirate artists out there; my own home city has a pirate band called Captain Bogg and Salty. Great band, great pirate-themed music.

FL is definitely a pop team. They are possibly the most pop out of all the teams because they immediately reminded of me of Katy Perry's Teenage Dream album cover (well, when they were still in the sky).

Plus, FL appeals to the younger masses, and younger audiences generally listen to pop (y'know, Selena, Demi, Miley, etc...).

Bah! Kids these days. :P (This from somebody who only actually started using a music player a couple of years ago :whistle: )

Yeah, but they stopped you from doing that! So I can't get them.

With regards to the closing of that topic and my previous statement:

(If you really do hate this year's team songs that much, there's nothing stopping you from posting your own picks by the way - it's not likely we'll get legal attacks over posts on our forums, since we explicitly disclaim legal responsibility for their contents. :whistle: )

It seems the moderation team wants to keep the forums clean of potential music copyright issues as well, so download links will no longer be allowed. I apologise for not checking things clearly before posting this.

But, regarding what you were saying about KI's song, you are right, AA, there are tons of good CC pirate artists out there; my own home city has a pirate band called Captain Bogg and Salty. Great band, great pirate-themed music.

Oh wow... I'm gonna have to check those guys out sometime then! xD

Ah! Cool, somebody recognised some of the music. xD

I do know the names and artists of all of the songs, having been the one who tagged them all for distribution - it's traditional for us to set up a topic and have a few rounds of guessing first though. If people are interested I should probably go and set that up now. :)

I guess this time guessing will be a bit hard after most of those songs aren't too popular.

Indeed it will! I think we should get started earlier this year - I'll make the guessing topic shortly after kick-off. Does that sound all right?

It's fun you chose a song in Catalan for MI, not really related with the team but...

I love TY song, epic song for an epic team!

xD Thanks! I quite liked the instrumental picks myself too, especially Tyrannia's. :yes:

• 1 month later...

I know the altador cup is over and all but I looooooove the lost desert song... could anyone tell me what it is!? I listen to it everyday! I know that is not a good thing since I am a Krawk Island fan but it's just so catchy! The song is so catchy I even know all the lyrics now! I don't expect anyone to answer but it would make it easier since I have no idea what it could be called! THANKS!

I know the altador cup is over and all but I looooooove the lost desert song... could anyone tell me what it is!? I listen to it everyday! I know that is not a good thing since I am a Krawk Island fan but it's just so catchy! The song is so catchy I even know all the lyrics now! I don't expect anyone to answer but it would make it easier since I have no idea what it could be called! THANKS!

I think you might be looking for this topic (the links are in the first post). :)