Random Contest Entry

Sakurabelle

Okay, so I've made a lovely little cake for the random contest. It is a round cake, so I want to be able to show multiple sides of the cake. This requires combining several pictures. I know it can be done because many people do it for their random contest entry all the time. My problem is that whatever program I can think of to use doesn't seem to want to save the resulting picture as a jpg. Uppercase JPG and GIF are not accepted, so it needs to be jpg or gif. Last contest I ended up saving the file as a gif, but you lose a lot of detail when that happens. What program could I use to save the file as a jpg? Thanks!

When you save your picture, you can always retype the extension.

Say that it suggests you to save your image as "cake.JPG" you could manually input "cake.jpg". Alternatively, you can rename the picture after saving it. (Usually with a right click on the file, and selecting rename.)

If it doesn't work for you, feel free to send me your images and I can scale it or rename it.

One super duper important thing that is stated in the rules :

The image file size should be no more than 80K. Try to avoid doing tiny little pictures as often they don't reflect the time and effort you have put into them. The ideal size is somewhere between 300 and 500 pixels (4 and 7 inches) in height and width. It doesn't have to be square and you don't need to provide us with the small thumbnail image either.

Please, do not feel stupid. Questions are always legits :)

I do hope it works for you :) I helped someone on the neoboard the other day who had similar problems... though it was with the compression of the image size so it would be accepted into the Beauty Contest.

Please, do not feel stupid. Questions are always legits :)

I do hope it works for you :) I helped someone on the neoboard the other day who had similar problems... though it was with the compression of the image size so it would be accepted into the Beauty Contest.

Erm, so could you compress my file too? The file has: JPEG image (.jpg) as the type of file, so I'm not entirely sure if that is okay, but it is 414KB regardless! If you are willing to shave the size of the file down just let me know what I need to do! Thanks!

Compressing is something I do with Photoshop...

By all means, I'm sure it's possible to do it in other softwares (except in Paint). You need to look for the 'save for web' option if there is one.

Alternatively, I found this website : http://www.imageoptimizer.net/Home.aspx

I just tested it and it doesn't seem too bad. The image I input turned out to be a little bit blurry but it was *really* large in size to start with.

Compressing is something I do with Photoshop...

By all means, I'm sure it's possible to do it in other softwares (except in Paint). You need to look for the 'save for web' option if there is one.

Alternatively, I found this website : http://www.imageoptimizer.net/Home.aspx

I just tested it and it doesn't seem too bad. The image I input turned out to be a little bit blurry but it was *really* large in size to start with.

*pounces on Xepha and gives massive hug* Thank you! Microsoft Picture Manager has an option to compress images for the web, but after experimenting with it it makes them very tiny. But that website you found worked perfectly! It took a bit of tweeking to get it down to 80kb, but it worked! Haha! No more worrying about this the next time a cooking contest comes around! *bookmarks site*

Edit: *pulls out hair and gnashes teeth*

Error: File must be a GIF or JPG type file. (ie. have the '.gif' or '.jpg' extension at the end of the file name in LOWERCASE letters). You submitted filetype: image/pjpeg.

And the thing is that it's wrong! File Type: JPEG image (.jpg) And it even shows up in the box as ending in .jpg

Wow. All that time lost and my only problem was the fact that I was using Internet Explorer as my browser. :grrr: After some googling I realized that the whole pjpeg had to do with IE, so I switch over to Firefox and voila! Submission accepted! So if you get any errors in a submission and are using IE, try switching browsers!