Firefox 4! =D

Ladies and gentlemen, I'm very pleased to announce that as of today, the 22nd of March, 2011, the latest version of the Firefox web browser has reached its final release. Firefox 4 brings a plethora of improvements, both under the hood and user-facing - so many, in fact, that I won't even begin to list them all. There's a tour and a video covering some of the improvements and features, if anyone's interested.

So yeah - if powerful, free, and open source web browsing software tickles your fancy, go ahead and check it out! b)

firefox-512.png

Only the single greatest browser on the planet. :graduated:

So far they are at 4,000 downloads per minute which is about three times the download rate for IE 9 on their release day... aww... sorry Microsoft. :evil:

I got really excited when I was reading the description page XD.

It answers to many of my concerns... so I'll give it a try and see if I switch back from Safari XD.

It does seem to be loading stuff faster. Is there a way to move the tabs back to the bottom though. I keep clicking my bookmarks instead of the tabs :sad01_anim: because I'm dumb apparently.

Ask and you shall receive. ;) Just right click any empty chunk of toolbar and uncheck 'Tabs on Top'.

Alternatively, try Firefox > Options (Preferences on Linux and Mac) > Tabs on Top.

I got really excited when I was reading the description page XD.

It answers to many of my concerns... so I'll give it a try and see if I switch back from Safari XD.

Oh my - where do I start? For one it is a real browser. :laughingsmiley:

Any browser is good so long as it isn't IE. I'd suggest trying it yourself and seeing how it feels for you. Not everyone likes the same thing so it won't be perfect for everyone.

Ask and you shall receive. ;) Just right click any empty chunk of toolbar and uncheck 'Tabs on Top'.

Alternatively, try Firefox > Options (Preferences on Linux and Mac) > Tabs on Top.

Ahaha, thanks! That was so easy I don't know why I couldn't figure that out on my own.

Firefox 4 upgraded itself seamlessly from the beta for me this morning. My husband got the update at around suppertime, and he loves it!

I usually wait a little while before downloading anything brand-new. They always have bugs to work out.

Brand new? We've been working on ironing Firefox 4 into a release-ready state for over a year now. I think you'll find those bugs of yours very scarce. ;)

Oh my - where do I start? For one it is a real browser. :laughingsmiley:

Any browser is good so long as it isn't IE. I'd suggest trying it yourself and seeing how it feels for you. Not everyone likes the same thing so it won't be perfect for everyone.

Firefox has always been siting on my dock, at the left of Safari.

It's just that in the previous version, for some unknown reasons that I never had to time to investigate... the browser would sometimes stop into the process of loading page. And the only solution I had to be able to load any pages after that problem had happened was to close the browser and start a fresh. So far, I am not getting that problem in Firefox 4.

Also, I was happy to see that Firefox 4 was installed on the computers at my university overnight :)

By that time we'll likely be halfway to Firefox 5, due in about three months time. ;)

• 1 month later...

I've always used Firefox and I never had big problems. But with the 4th version I'm experiencing a very annoying bug on Neopets that I never got before. It logs me off the site every 10-15 minutes if I'm browsing the auctions or leaving the world challenge page open. These are the two situations which I'm sure of but I think it also happened when I left my inventory page open. So it happens both if I'm leaving a page open for minutes but also (and that's the most irritating) if I'm using the site.

I've always used Firefox and I never had big problems. But with the 4th version I'm experiencing a very annoying bug on Neopets that I never got before. It logs me off the site every 10-15 minutes if I'm browsing the auctions or leaving the world challenge page open. These are the two situations which I'm sure of but I think it also happened when I left my inventory page open. So it happens both if I'm leaving a page open for minutes but also (and that's the most irritating) if I'm using the site.

I can't reproduce this issue myself, which seems to imply that it's related to your specific setup. Are you sure you're not having network problems of some sort? If so, perhaps you're running a buggy add-on that's interfering with Firefox?

Thank you! I don't know why I haven't tried it before ^__^" But it seems like the guilty one was the Speed dial add-on... And in fact its last update is on December 2010 so I'm pretty sure there's something wrong with FF4.. I took for granted it was compatible è_é

Thank you! I don't know why I haven't tried it before ^__^" But it seems like the guilty one was the Speed dial add-on... And in fact its last update is on December 2010 so I'm pretty sure there's something wrong with FF4.. I took for granted it was compatible è_é

It's not necessarily something wrong with Firefox 4 per sé, just different. I suspect there was an API change and the Speed Dial developer hasn't quite caught up yet. Most likely, when the Speed Dial add-on loads pages from Neopets (to create its thumbnails), it's no longer sending your login data, which would prompt the Neopets site to log you out.

But anyway, I won't wander too far off topic. :P There are a few alternative add-ons to speed dial available which you might want to check out, in case the AwesomeBar isn't quite powerful enough for you. ;)

Oh good, someone resurrected this topic! Well I just had to come by and say that new Firefox rules.

Told ya! :P

*returns to testing Firefox 5, which is almost release ready* :whistle:

Wait wait wait! How are you testing firefox 5!?!?

Well, being a Firefox dev I do follow the Firefox release announcements. ;) Firefox 5 has just hit the beta channel - under the new rapid-release schedule that means that it's in release candidate state.

The push to beta was announced here.

Anyone can. :) Firefox is a free and open source software project, so as a matter of fact, anybody with decent programming and/or software development skills can help to build it too!