Desktop Icons

Awesome_Paul

This all started 2 days ago. I have a Asus Laptop with Windows Vista.

Everytime I restart my laptop, the desktop icons disappear. I usually fix this my right clicking and click "Show desktop icons" twice.

I ran a scan on AVG and Spybot and nothing came up. Plus I haven't really touched anything to do with the icons so no clue why? :P

Very, very curious situation here.

I'm sure Vista updates. So, there may be an update that did something to your settings. I am on Windows 7 so I'm not familiar with issues on Vista other than there are a lot.

What kind of restart are you doing exactly? Choosing the option in the start menu or doing a hard restart by shutting down then turning back on?

Any chance you can see if it does the same after you shut down then turn back on? Microsoft's official site states the solution to be exactly what you have been doing-- right click and choose 'show desktop icons'.

Sadly you may have to fully upgrade to another version (XP, Windows 7). Yes, the XP bit was a stab at Vista. I have talked to a few other techs. Though maybe someone else here has a different solution that isn't so costly.

Ok, so I just shut down and re turned on. The desktop icons appeared at first but on the system tray (the bottom right corner) a new icon appeared then disappeared (It was a little person with a speech bubble :P). After this dude disappeared, the icons went.

So at the moment I right click and disabled "Auto arrange" then used a system restore to go back 3 days ago before this problem started). This may have fixed it because the icons didn't disappear.

But if it starts again, may just take it to a computer shop to give it a maintenance check(clean inside (have a crack on one corner so must be galleons of dust inside by now :P, use some powerful checkers etc)