To Play or Not to Play (Luck-Game Odds)

grizzlybehr

I was curious to see if certain luck/chance Neopets games give a positive return for playing. After calculating, Grarrl Keno odds were poor. The worst bet was to select 8 numbers, and receive .03NP to every 1NP you spend. The best possible bet was to select 9 eggs; .29NP to every 1NP. (Complete odds in table below).

# payout per NP

2 eggs 0.292721519

3 eggs 0.151533593

4 eggs 0.174603877

5 eggs 0.138980773

6 eggs 0.061203953

7 eggs 0.056948143

8 eggs 0.03120802

9 eggs 0.294516197

10 eggs 0.2485856

If anyone is interested, I will calculate the payouts of other chance-based Neopets games. Just reply with your request.

Disclaimer: Many games cannot have odds calculated (slots for example). However, most can be ~estimated~ with enough data.

I'm a big fan of the luck-games since I feel I have more of a chance to get on a high score with those than a flash game. I've gotten Dice-a-Roo, Scorchy Slots, Bilge Dice Streak, Tyranu Evavu, Double or Nothing, and just recently Neggsweeper (that's only partially luck/chance). I considered going with Keno but felt so unlikely to happen I just never bothered.

Knowing the odds of the Keno have lessened my hopes even further. I suppose that's why if you DO manage to win, you can really win big. That NP pay out is really tempting.

I know you said slots are kind of hard to decipher odds, but I had something happen that I believe is so unlikely, I want to get an approximation of it. When I was playing Scorchy Slots, I randomly got the jackpot.... and the HOLDS appeared along with it. In the end, I managed to get the jackpot not twice, but three times since the holds stayed another round. What could possibly be the chances of that happening?

I play keno only for the avatar. For me, the res of those games tend to go in bursts of luck for me, especially the slots. One day, I'll pull 10 times and not win a thing. The next day, I'll pull 10 times and win 1000+ points 8 out of the 10 pulls. it's weird.

I'm a big fan of the luck-games since I feel I have more of a chance to get on a high score with those than a flash game. I've gotten Dice-a-Roo, Scorchy Slots, Bilge Dice Streak, Tyranu Evavu, Double or Nothing, and just recently Neggsweeper (that's only partially luck/chance). I considered going with Keno but felt so unlikely to happen I just never bothered.

Knowing the odds of the Keno have lessened my hopes even further. I suppose that's why if you DO manage to win, you can really win big. That NP pay out is really tempting.

I know you said slots are kind of hard to decipher odds, but I had something happen that I believe is so unlikely, I want to get an approximation of it. When I was playing Scorchy Slots, I randomly got the jackpot.... and the HOLDS appeared along with it. In the end, I managed to get the jackpot not twice, but three times since the holds stayed another round. What could possibly be the chances of that happening?

After 110 plays, I saw 18 bags on all of the squares. Using a "bell curve", the probability of a jackpot without using any holds is between 8.53715 E-06 with a 3.76675E-05 margin of error. That is about 1 in every 110000, but the error of this estimate is still very large! Odds could be as poor as 1 in 1273741, or as good as 1 in 26525.

The estimated payout per game from only NP prizes and faeries is 3.02NP per game. This estimate does not include the jackpot and the maps. (I really don't have any idea what maps are given out, so I don't know what value to enter into the calculation.) If the Jackpot and/or Map Prizes are sufficiently valuable, the average payout can increase above 5NP per game. For example, if the jackpot is 150000, and the average map price is 10000NP, the average payout is 8.76NP. However, you could still go bankrupt playing the game before you win those big prizes.

As for your question about the probability of 3 jackpots in a row... I cannot say. I did not get enough holds while I was playing to get a good statistical estimate. Still, I am amazed that it happened.

I will post other probabilities on my pet page when I get some time...

Not sure if this counts but I'd like to know the probability of getting a Fish Negg during a game of Neggsweeper. I only play on the Hard difficulty.

I can get an estimate, but I don't have the patience to do all the trial games today... I'll give an update over the weekend.

I can get an estimate, but I don't have the patience to do all the trial games today... I'll give an update over the weekend.

Thanks, and take your time!

^Cheat! involves a bit of skill in my opinion.

^^Scorchy slots is worth it if you don't mind it being a little boring. At least every other day upon maxing out my spins, I get at least one fairy or treasure map. While the fairies haven't bee profitable for a bit, the maps are good money all the time.

Dicearoo is the same thing since the food items you get from it often give you a nice sum of change. I usually get around 5k of stuff, but it depends on what food you get.

Personally, I totally steer clear of luck and chance games!

Not only do I often have bad luck when it comes to gambles (example A: saving up money for a special run at Breyerfest, just to get to that point in line to see they are sold out for that hour <_< ), but I just don't feel comfortable betting in extremes... Food club is one thing, where there are odds and you can use betting guides. But stuff like Scorchy Slots, Bilge Dice, and so on, don't have guides because they are (for the most part) random...

Of course i'm saving up 13mil so I'm a little bit of a tight-wad at the moment. I bet my opinion on gambling on Neo will change post-Draik xD

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting topic. I like Dice-a-Roo for the food items, but I don't usually bother with luck games (although after reading this thread, am tempted by Scorchy Slots) because gambling is addictive and stuff. I guess the stock market is like gambling, but you can't ever lose at it.

nice! with keno, i think i just did quick pick then kept refreshing. i read that on a guide and it worked for me (to get the avvie at least)

^"I guess the stock market is like gambling, but you can't ever lose at it."

actually you can. in rare occasions stocks completely bankrupt. but thats highly unlikely, esp if you keep lots of stocks, you have better chances of making a profit on one and itll balance out even if one does tank.