Stupid lab map prices

Emily

I had the map on my old account. I wanted it for this one, but have had to save for it. I paid about 700K for it a few years back. Now people are asking for nearly a million for a full set on the TP and individual piece prices on a few have seemed to have inflated significantly as well. Even with pieces being given out on keyquest, it's ridiculously priced.

Money decreases in value day by day. $100 today was equal to about $20 back in the 1920s. Money is becoming more and more worthless.

The same rule applies to NPs apparently, only at a much faster pace...

Yeah, Neopoint inflation is ridiculous. The lab map is valuable because a. it gives two avatars and b. I feel like a lot of newer players see it as the pinnacle of all saving. Save up for this thing, get a magic ray that can give you any pet! Three months and four bad species changes later, they realize it's not the dream they hoped for. But then they're stuck with the map so *shrug*

I was able to get my map and pay less than 800k for it a few months ago. I auction sniped a few of the more expensive pieces, and found a lot of the less rare ones on my own. Now? I wish i'd saved my money xD

I regretted buying the secret lab ray once I realized that paint brushes and morphing potions were better ways to get my dream pets. Back then, I had no idea those things existed!

Hahaha same!!! Discovering morphing potions was the best thing ever :D I got my Faerie Xwee for about 2.8m a few months ago. A decent save from months of zapping or 4m on a faerie pb :P

Actually, after reading this, I'm not sure I want it anymore lol. What I really wanted the ray for was for the chance of zapping avatar pets. Then I realized that, thanks to TDNs wonderful avatar lending program, I don't really need it, as I already have my dream pet (Christmas uni). The only thing I would use it for would be for repounding zapped basics. Glad I posted here before going and buying something that I really don't need. Thanks everybody! :)

i got my lab map years ago, when it was cheaper. and i love it, personally - but i have pets that i zap and pets that i don't. it's all right if you don't want to go for something specific, species/colour-wise, but if you've got something in mind, you'd be better off with a potion or a PB. you don't get species/colour changes all that frequently, in my experience; most of the time you gain/lose levels or stats, so you definitely don't want to risk a pet you've trained up a lot, 'cause it can undo all your training in a few zaps.

Hahaha same!!! Discovering morphing potions was the best thing ever :D I got my Faerie Xwee for about 2.8m a few months ago. A decent save from months of zapping or 4m on a faerie pb :P

Sweet!

One good thing about the lab ray though is that it's trained some of my pets quite effectively. I wish it changed species and colors more often though.

Sweet!

One good thing about the lab ray though is that it's trained some of my pets quite effectively. I wish it changed species and colors more often though.

Hmm, this is very true. It's been shown by many people that over time, the lab ray gives a positive change in stats. If you want a battle pet, but don't want to spend money on dubloons and codestones, the lab ray can be a good investment. Although it'll take a lot longer, because it is random, and you will lose stats. (except HP, the ray can't take away HP)

Lol. I'm currently saving up for the lab map.

@allrealelements How do you auction snipe? I try really hard and have a fast internet connection, but there's always someone who comes in at the last split second. I don't get how that's done because no the auctions only say '<30min'....

*nods* Well I don't get things all the time lol. You miss some you get some. Start trying out for cheap codestones and neggs and stuff, for practice. What you can do are two things: Start here: http://www.neopets.com/auctions.phtml on the first page. These are the auctions that are going to end first. Refresh once every couple of seconds, and watch items slowly march their way up to the no.1 spot. After that, they close. After a while, you can approximate how long it will take for an auction to end. Bear in mind that it's not also accurate.

The second thing you can do is use the search function to look for some specific thing you want. Look for stuff in the 30min-2hr range. What you do then, is keep an eye on that auction. Refresh periodically. When it changes to say <30min, then LOOK AT THE CLOCK!! the auction will end exactly 30mins from then. This gives a tremendous boost to your timing at the end of the auction.

Now what happens at the end of the auction? I like to not get involved in bidding wars, as all they do is drive up the price. And if it's a popular item, you shouldn't want or need to help that along xD But anyway, keep track of the price change over time in the auction. What I try to do, is when it gets close to the end, start placing your bids. I like my last bid, when it's in the 1 or 2 slot (depending on my connection lol), to be a little strange. Like if the bidding increment is 5, i'll up my bid by 135nps. The person before you might up by 10,50,100, which gives you the edge :)

I'm no expert on auction wars, for sure. About the only things of note that I've sniped are a couple of discount-priced SLM pieces, a baby PB in a guild auction (though let me say, that was quite a battle!!), codestones, and some other random things I've made a profit of of. But that in mind, I've also missed lots of things. I remember a GKbomb going for 2.4M (I was 5th to last bidder :(), countless cheap Draik/Krawk transmogs, really cheap morphing potions, etc. Stuff like that is fun to go for, but remember there are people using autosnipers out there, and your chances of competing are slim to none.

*phew* Well I hope that helps some. The best way to learn to snipe is to go and snipe a LOT. It can be REALLY nerve-wracking, but just stay cool. Sometimes you've got it, and sometimes you don't :)

Good luck! :D

Hmm, this is very true. It's been shown by many people that over time, the lab ray gives a positive change in stats. If you want a battle pet, but don't want to spend money on dubloons and codestones, the lab ray can be a good investment. Although it'll take a lot longer, because it is random, and you will lose stats. (except HP, the ray can't take away HP)

*nods* Well I don't get things all the time lol. You miss some you get some. Start trying out for cheap codestones and neggs and stuff, for practice. What you can do are two things: Start here: http://www.neopets.com/auctions.phtml on the first page. These are the auctions that are going to end first. Refresh once every couple of seconds, and watch items slowly march their way up to the no.1 spot. After that, they close. After a while, you can approximate how long it will take for an auction to end. Bear in mind that it's not also accurate.

The second thing you can do is use the search function to look for some specific thing you want. Look for stuff in the 30min-2hr range. What you do then, is keep an eye on that auction. Refresh periodically. When it changes to say <30min, then LOOK AT THE CLOCK!! the auction will end exactly 30mins from then. This gives a tremendous boost to your timing at the end of the auction.

Now what happens at the end of the auction? I like to not get involved in bidding wars, as all they do is drive up the price. And if it's a popular item, you shouldn't want or need to help that along xD But anyway, keep track of the price change over time in the auction. What I try to do, is when it gets close to the end, start placing your bids. I like my last bid, when it's in the 1 or 2 slot (depending on my connection lol), to be a little strange. Like if the bidding increment is 5, i'll up my bid by 135nps. The person before you might up by 10,50,100, which gives you the edge :)

I'm no expert on auction wars, for sure. About the only things of note that I've sniped are a couple of discount-priced SLM pieces, a baby PB in a guild auction (though let me say, that was quite a battle!!), codestones, and some other random things I've made a profit of of. But that in mind, I've also missed lots of things. I remember a GKbomb going for 2.4M (I was 5th to last bidder :(), countless cheap Draik/Krawk transmogs, really cheap morphing potions, etc. Stuff like that is fun to go for, but remember there are people using autosnipers out there, and your chances of competing are slim to none.

*phew* Well I hope that helps some. The best way to learn to snipe is to go and snipe a LOT. It can be REALLY nerve-wracking, but just stay cool. Sometimes you've got it, and sometimes you don't :)

Good luck! :D

Wow! Thanks for all that! You went above and beyond. I'll definitely give it a try.

:):)

Prices were down about a month ago (which is why I bought mine). I could get the whole set for about 700K by buying the pieces individually

And I fail at auction sniping :(

Yeah, while the plot was going on, I noticed a LOT of deflation in everything other than medicine and BD, which were super inflated

Now that the plot's over, people are buying things again :)

Wow! Thanks for all that! You went above and beyond. I'll definitely give it a try.

:):)

No problem at all! :D I'm glad I could help. Hope you snipe something epic! :)