Help?

:)Doc

Uhh.. I need help. :P

I wanna learn how to make my own sets, like the one I've got now (thanks to stephiime!). Does anyone know like a book or web page that's really dumbed down for me? Like Programming/Graphics For Dummies. :D Or something like that :P

I really wanna try, so if you could help, I'd greatly appreciate it! :woot:

Thanks!

The vast realms of the internet are here to help! Do you want to primarily make signature sets? First off, what editing software do you intend to use? And don't say MSPaint or I'll step on your toes. :P

Whats so wrong about MS Paint? ^^"

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Stephé) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please keep your posts at least 7 words long.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

The vast realms of the internet are here to help! Do you want to primarily make signature sets? First off, what editing software do you intend to use? And don't say MSPaint or I'll step on your toes. :P

Uhm...Whatever I can afford to but that is the easiet :)

Well I'm not much of a graphics guy, but I can point you to some awesome graphics software so you can narrow down your search a little. Naturally, it's all free and open source software. ;)

The GIMP is an excellent raster graphics editor, probably the closest to Photoshop in terms of functionality. It's a good starting point, and should be on par with Adobe's paid product in terms of most functionality, although it may still be behind in a few areas.

If you're feeling a little more adventurous and want to try out vector graphics, you can check out Inkscape. It's the best vector graphics editor in existence, far superior to Adobe Illustrator and the like. It's also pretty easy to learn, but if you're used to raster editing, vector graphics may be a little tough to get used to.

MyPaint is a very cool application tailored for actually drawing stuff (as opposed to just editing it). If you want to actually do some drawing yourself, you might want to take a look at it.

I'd be glad to give you pointers if you wish :). I've not done proper 'sets' in ages though xD. However, I still do other types of graphics on a regular basis..

But yes, what is it about graphics you'd like to know? Like do you need sites for brushes, design techniques, animation help or font choosing etc?

As for programs, MS Paint is fine if you wish to do simple graphics (I ADORE using it for pixel art xD) but if you want to kick it up a notch, I suggest trying Adobe Photoshop :P. You can download the trial off the official Adobe website yeap! It's not too expensive if you want to purchase it (especially if you get it at a student rate xD) too, which is wonderful if you wish to do graphics on a more intensive basis in the future. There are illegal ways of getting it but being a huge Adobe fan, I shall not advocate that LOL.

For me, designing graphics depends largely on practice. You can refer to graphics by others for inspiration and to base new styles off. Also, do download soome brushes off the net (Deviantart has a ton of wonderful brushes fyi) to spice up your graphics a little more. Play around with colours to see which go best with which and to explore what mood certain tones and combinations give.

That's just my 2 cents xD. If you do wish to know more about a specific area, do ask!

Well I'm not much of a graphics guy, but I can point you to some awesome graphics software so you can narrow down your search a little. Naturally, it's all free and open source software. ;)

The GIMP is an excellent raster graphics editor, probably the closest to Photoshop in terms of functionality. It's a good starting point, and should be on par with Adobe's paid product in terms of most functionality, although it may still be behind in a few areas.

If you're feeling a little more adventurous and want to try out vector graphics, you can check out Inkscape. It's the best vector graphics editor in existence, far superior to Adobe Illustrator and the like. It's also pretty easy to learn, but if you're used to raster editing, vector graphics may be a little tough to get used to.

MyPaint is a very cool application tailored for actually drawing stuff (as opposed to just editing it). If you want to actually do some drawing yourself, you might want to take a look at it.

Yes! ;D I would definitely try out GIMP, because I have several friends who don't own photoshop that use it ... and make similar graphics as I do :)

I am gonna try this in just a sec. Thank God I don't have homework tonight :woot:

I'd be glad to give you pointers if you wish :). I've not done proper 'sets' in ages though xD. However, I still do other types of graphics on a regular basis..

But yes, what is it about graphics you'd like to know? Like do you need sites for brushes, design techniques, animation help or font choosing etc?

I'm like a newborn. I've got absolutely NO idea what to do. Like I have no idea what you said other than animations and font. :P

Uhh.. what am I supposed to click to download GIMP? I'm US and use Firefox on a Dell. If that helps.... :P

Well, assuming you're on Windows, on the download page there should be a link that says "Download GIMP 2.6.11". Just click that.

Or if you're feeling lazy, click this link. :P

After that, you might want to take a peek at the tutorials page.

Paint.NET is another free editing program that you might be interested in.

http://www.getpaint.net/

It's pretty similar to Photoshop, imo. I've only used it a few times, but it seems pretty straightforward. :)

Thank you for all the help! Unfortunately I am an idiot and cannot download any of them... they're all asking for like Windows, Mozilla, or just something I don't know :P Too hard to find which one I need <_<

Is it that hard to figure out what operating system you're on? o_O I did give you a direct link to the Windows download for the GIMP just now.

Copy and paste from this link if you're really that unsure.

All right, good luck. :P Sometimes I forget how horrendously geeky I am. But if you tell me your exact operating system (from the link two posts up), I should be able to link you directly to the right downloads if you want them. :yes:

• 4 weeks later...