Xandra, Hanso and evilness

FabKiwi06

We shall see how this pans out I suppose. We shall see...

This topic has been edited by a member of staff ("AA").

Duplicate topics merged.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this topic.

Per the reason above, the topics have been MERGED. Please contact "AA" if you have any questions regarding this action.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well i agree that the faeries have done nothing for neopia, i am ultimately for xandra. look what she did for us! inflated bd prices, lots of profit for people, and new people (like me) coming to tdn for neopets help! also, even if it wasnt related to xandra, we got the sword of lameness, an awesome bd item. dont you guys see how good it would be to have xandra as our ruler?

Side note: of course, if the faeries bribed me with lots of free gifts for everybody, i would be on their side...

Well, I've finally decided on an opinion concerning this, so I guess I'll pitch it in. xD

When it's all laid out in perspective, I think overall Xandra is doing the wrong thing for the right reasons. Her motives are correct, but they don't justify her actions. Yes, the Faeries were aloof and condescending in a naive sort of way, and yes, with all their power they could have done a lot more good for Neopia than they were doing previously, but you must consider: nobody can accuse them of complete inaction. A few of them have opened their (often figurative) doors to Neopians everywhere, and the Faeries have risen against threats to this world in the past (considering threats to Neopia are likely threats to Faerieland as well, this isn't surprising). By turning the Faeries to stone, Xandra has already done much more harm than good, and I doubt the situation will improve as she continues.

There's another thing we should consider: Xandra's actions have done damage not only to the Faeries, but to Neopians as well. The Wraiths she created attacked not only the heroes investigating the incident, but also all the Neopets who stood up to help defend against them (causing massive inflation of battledome weapons, countless cases of Repetitive Strain Injury, etc.), not to mention their unprovoked assault on the land of Brightvale. On top of that, she manipulated several of Neopia's leading figures - all Neopets, not Faeries - into helping her achieve her goal, and turned them to stone when she had no more need for them. Her justification might be that those Neopets would have been to blind to accept the facts she presented to them, and would certainly have ruined her plans, but if what she really wants is to free the Neopets from tyrannical rulers, shouldn't their (the Neopets') opinions hold at least some weight in the matter? By acting as she did, she's decided that she knows what's best for everyone, and that's a very dangerous assumption to make. Isn't choice by representatives of the people one of the basic pillars of a free nation? Isn't that the goal that sites like WikiLeaks are trying to accomplish? To create a world where governments can't afford to say, "Okay, this is what we want and we're going to get it no matter what the people think"? She's showing an alarming lack of regard for the wishes of the Neopets she's trying to free.

Xandra chose what she saw as the only alternative, but I sincerely doubt that's the case. She asserted that she tried repeatedly to convince the Faeries to intervene on Neopia's behalf, but was ignored. It's understandable that she was bitter after that, but destroying the Faeries is hardly the best way to harness the power of magic for the good of Neopia. Consider this: with all her magical prowess, Xandra could have stepped in without the Faeries' assistance, healing any number of deadly diseases, fending off famines, taking down villains, stopping natural disasters, and saving countless lives in the process. If she wanted to get involved and help out Neopia, she certainly had the capacity and the opportunity to do so. At the very least, the sight of a single lowly Xweetok doing more good for the world than all the glorious, majestically powerful Faeries combined would have embarrassed them into some sort of action. Once again, Xandra's chose the path that looks like it will end up doing far more harm than good.

And there is one final factor to consider: the factor of magic. Magic (powerful magic especially) is a dangerous force, and not something to be trifled with. A slight misstep could easily have devastating consequences (as anyone who's worked core containment can attest to). While this isn't much of an excuse for the Faeries' aloofness, it's certainly an excuse for extreme caution. More importantly, caution is something Xandra is clearly failing to exercise. She's already admitted that there's one side effect of her spell that she didn't anticipate - the Shadow creatures. When you're dealing with magic of this scale, unanticipated side effects aren't something you can just shrug at. As Solana once said:

You wish to use magic? You wish to turn the elements that on a whim shaped your very soul, and that of every other - that hung the stars in the sky and paved the earth beneath your feet - that even now connects the thoughts in your mind and the words on your tongue together - into a tool for your own convenience? A slave, perhaps, to do your bidding? You are a fool.

Nobody truly believes that they are evil. Under pressure, we will always do what we believe to be the right thing to do under the circumstances, and Xandra clearly believes very strongly that she is doing what is necessary. She's willing to get out there, do what she thinks is right, and stay the course no matter what, a trait which I very much respect. I've liked her character from the start, and I still very much like her now. You might even say she's an admirable character. Unfortunately, when push comes to shove, her actions are undermining her cause. She's wrong.

Finally, someone who makes complete sense! I think "AA" got most, if not all, of it right. Xandra seems to be getting so drunk on power that she's giving a rather dictator-like vibe, and her actions are Machiavellian in essence, don't you find? She really thinks that 'the end justifies the means', and has already harmed many Neopians to achieve her goals, not to mention that impersonating Nox was a mark of cowardice from her. She does not have what it takes to be a leader, and although she might have noble goals, she has proven herself irresponsible and hot-headed; sorry, but I can't imagine her winning this battle.

(newbie here, I just couldn't stand reading the discussion and not participating in it any longer)

While I concur that people tend to avoid doing what they think is "evil," I wouldn't say that they necessarily do what they think is good.

When it's a choice between what you /know/ is right and what doesn't seem that bad but is beneficial to you, there seems to be a gray area, and a lot of people act in it. That's why we have crime! ^_-

I think she knows or had some inkling that this wasn't the best course, but decided she didn't give a care and went with it anyway. This required forethought, however twisted in nature. She knew what she was doing, and did it anyway. Vengeance can be a strong temptation.

If that's the case, then it's even worse; I liked to think that she had a bit of naivity in her and didn't think that things would turn out so bad, that a little part of her wasn't producing harm intentionally. Saying she only wanted vengeance on the faeries and did everything knowing the consequences... I don't know. She had no idea the wraiths would appear, mind you, though it didn't seem to trouble her... Oh well.

No, it didnt trouble her....Though, really, she was involved in the attacks once or twice but when she wants to she really has the upper hand on them. i woudlnt necessarily say CONTROLLING them, but certainly the ability to influence them. So its like if you did something you knew wasnt right, liiiiiike getting involved with a guy who was in a gang, and you KNOW it isnt really right but its beneficial to you (hes rich or whatever) and then some of his rougher friends start hanging around you, you dont necessarily want them, but you notice that the bullies at school leave you alone or they tend to pick up your tab wherever you go, etcetc...... yeah okay im kinda rambling now but i think you get the picture

I personally think that Xandra is admirable to a certain degree because not everything she does is "good" for the Neopian world. Given the fact that she has already turned most of her supporters to stone, as well as the faeries who taught her everything she knew in the first place, I don't really think she is a "benevolent" ruler. I know the temptations of vengeance, and I probably would have done the same thing if I were her, but it just doesn't really make her a ruler everyone would follow. A respectable ruler would at least care about the effects of what they were doing, not just shrug at what happens.

While I concur that people tend to avoid doing what they think is "evil," I wouldn't say that they necessarily do what they think is good.

When it's a choice between what you /know/ is right and what doesn't seem that bad but is beneficial to you, there seems to be a gray area, and a lot of people act in it. That's why we have crime! ^_-

Well, I'd say that in that case, I'd be deciding that what doesn't seem that bad but is beneficial to me *is* the right thing to do at the time. But you're right, I didn't account for the grey area very well in that statement. :yes: It might be more accurate to say that under pressure we will never do something which we're certain is wrong.

And oh yes, Hanso is definitely against Xandra. I can't pin it down specifically, but it just feels like he brightened up waaay too quickly there. Besides, a self-respecting master thief would never participate in such a cheesy side-switch. :P

Hanso's pretending, I think we can all agree in that one, it's obvious he just wants to stick around Xandra in order to find a way to ruin her plans.

Anyone know when the next chapter will be out?

Assuming TNT isn't slacking off too heavily or planning some other big event, we should see the next chapter before the middle of the week. :yes:

And oh yes, Hanso is definitely against Xandra. I can't pin it down specifically, but it just feels like he brightened up waaay too quickly there. Besides, a self-respecting master thief would never participate in such a cheesy side-switch. :P

That's exactly what I thought! He seemed to agree very readily. He didn't hesitate at all. That made me suspicious.

adding this as a side note, the faeries also can't really just come down, and fix everything. responsibility comes with power, and they can't abuse their power. they can help and aid neopians in making neopia better, but they cant really just come down and do everything.

That's exactly one of my biggest issues with Xandras attack on the faeries. Having all-mighty power does not mean that you should go and fix every thing licketysplit. What fixing means is relative, and good can quickly become bad.

That's exactly one of my biggest issues with Xandras attack on the faeries. Having all-mighty power does not mean that you should go and fix every thing licketysplit. What fixing means is relative, and good can quickly become bad.

yep, too much of something is never good for you! of course, that's not the case with neopoints...

So, I was helping a friend look up names for her story today, and I came across this:

XANDRA: Dutch short form of Latin Alexandra, meaning "defender of mankind."

If TNT does do a lot of research on choosing their names, it is an interesting choice for this character. I agree with what a lot of the people above had said that she is doing something she believes to be correct and in the best interests of neopets, but she is going about it the wrong and somewhat vigilante way. Also, naming herself to be the new neopet leader is very arrogant and misguided on her part.

I do think Hanso is up to something with his ready acceptance, and I believe he will have a redemption plotline--but now I also wonder if Xandra will have a redemption plotline after being shown the error of her ways.

Well, knowing TNT, and since Xandra isn't really an evil character, just a misguided one, she'll probably get her redemption plotline as well.

Heh, my brother and I certainly hope TNT doesn't give her one - we're already planning out our own. :P

The plot is interesting, but taking way too long. :P I have spent a ton getting my pet up to snuff for these battles. I just -barely- was able to beat 1 of each of the 'big critters' (like the Zealot).

As for Xandra and Hanso, I think Hanso is just fooling her that hes gonna work with her to 'save the day'. Xandra.. Hmm, not sure if I agree with everyone that shes Nox in disguise (or something else), I think shes just Xandra showing her true colors.

Xandra.. Hmm, not sure if I agree with everyone that shes Nox in disguise (or something else), I think shes just Xandra showing her true colors.

Yeah that theory's been disproven at this point :) I think only the most hardcore conspiracy theorists believe it's anything but Xandra working on her own agenda.

Eh, I wouldn't mind 10 more chapters or so. But then I like long stories. :P

Yeah, like books - anything less than 400 pages is a short book! :nerd:

Announcements