How important is defense?

So, among the many things I lost when my old account was CG'd was my halfway-decent BD pet. :crying: Since I made my current account I've been labbing the same pet, as well as hand-training my Draik when I can. Neither is particularly good (I don't really do the BD so I haven't put as much effort in the hand-training as I should), but now that the plot has a BD component I'll have to go with what I've got. At this point, as a non-BD'er I'm honestly not 100% sure who would be best to use; obviously it doesn't matter right now, but I'm sure it won't be long before the opponents get much tougher. The lab pet pretty solidly outclasses the hand-trained one in HP (of course) as well as attack, but its defense is dismal. What I'm wondering is: does it matter *enough* that I should use the hand-trained pet instead? My guess is that the lab pet will still be better on the harder opponents but I could very well be wrong -- any opinions are appreciated. :)

Stats:

Hand-trained pet:

Lv.: 40

HP: 77

Attack: 55

Defense: 39

Lab pet:

Lv.: 1

HP: 167

Attack: 90

Defense: 10

I'm not a very experienced Battledomer, but if I recall correctly the general consensus is that HP counts for a lot more than defence when it comes to your pet's survivability. :yes:

I'm really not an expert, but I did a bit of research on this topic and how defense works before.

What I understand is that having a greater defense will allow you to block out more of the iconage, which will leave you alive for a longer time in the battle. You can easily make up for your lack of HP by having a good healer (and using it properly).

Another advantage of hand-trained pets is that you can learn faerie abilities based on your level.

(For those of you who need more battledome help, check our battlepedia)

It increases the amount youe weapons block. I personally are very offensive person, and the only shield I use is Downsize! which does not account defence since it blocks 50%. I know defence is important though. I say you should train your stats evenly. -.-

I'm not a very experienced Battledomer, but if I recall correctly the general consensus is that HP counts for a lot more than defence when it comes to your pet's survivability. :yes:

I absolutely agree.

Your lab pet's defence may be dismal, but its HP will more than make up for it. Also, with your lab pet's greater attack, you'll be able to kill your opponent faster :)

HP over defense I say. :)

As mentioned Defense counts only when you use

a) The defend stance

b) You use a defending item like a shield

Defense does not count when you use blockers like ring of total lost, downsize etc.

To elaborate further if your shield defends two water icons, then depending on your defense you get a multiplier attached to it. So lets say your multiplier is 1.5. when your pet uses the shield your pet can block a total of 3 damage from water icons.

When you use blockers the just cut out all the damage done to you from a particular icon irrexpective of your multiplier. For example I use the ring of total lost. Even though I have a negligible defense, I block out all dark icons. My lab rat looks like this

Hit Points: 649 / 649

Strength: ULTIMATE (289)

Defence: GREAT (25)