Modern Movie Monsters Vs. Ancient Greek Mythology Monsters

I Am Meep.

Well I think that it depends. . Like the monster or whatever it was from Jeepers Creepers scared the bats out of me while things like naga or hydras just kill you. But i think that the greek monsters beat out all the newfangled weres and vamps.

Remember, MMMs don't only refer to vampires and werewolves. I think MMMs can have more creative and is broader than AGMs.

Like this one from a miscellaneous movie:

20090128065317.jpg

I'd much rather be up against a Minotaur than one of those things.

Most AGMs simply aren't that scary to begin with. Most are just based on real life animals anyway.

I just want to point out that the picture Unstream posted isn't an actual movie. It's an amazing parody picture drawn by sachsen on deviantart.com based on this poster of the (not scary) Studio Ghibli movie, My Neighbor Totoro.

totoro-bus.jpg

I agree that MMMs are pretty creative, but I have yet to see one as messed up creepy as some AGMs.

I used to like my neighbor totoro before... Now anytime I see it Im gonna see that scary monster.... :crying: But I agree movie monsters are just more creative now a days.

I must admit, I just randomly found it :P

It was on a blog about movies, so I assumed it was a movie x_x

I think monsters nowadays have the ability to be creepy as well as scary. AGMs are usually no more a monster than a normal animal and almost always offer a quick death, whereas a lot of MMMs can kill you slowly and painfully :yes:

Oh and Krakens aren't exactly an AGM. They're also known as giant squids, which actually do exist.

well, there's humanlike monsters in both, I'd say AGMS are scarrier there. I'd be much more scared of Medusa than Dracula, in reptile creatures, Godzilla is scarier than a Hydra, while for undersea creatures, the kraken is scarier than the monster from the ocean floor, and mammals, minotaurs are scarier than werewolves, I would say some MMM are scarier than AGM and vice versa

One thing I noticed is that MMM tend to copy AGM for example the basilisk from Harry Potter is a snake that kills people by looking at them Medusa has snakes for hair and turn people to stone by looking at them.

Rowling didn't make up the basilisk. It was already a mythical creature.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the idea of Ancient Monsters is scary because so many different cultures, who had no contact with each other, have folk lore about dragons, unicorns, and other creatures and it makes you wonder if some form of them actually exist somewhere. However, Modern Monsters are meant to be scary in the 'things that go bump in the night' way, but people aren't scared of that anymore. These days Horror/Scary movies are about fear of the unknown and the supernatural, a fear that makes your own shadow startle you when you're alone and scream when a draft makes the door shut by it's self. That's what people find scary now, and rightfully so. We all know how to kill werewolves and vampires, but how can you fight something if you don't even know what it is?

I think MMMs are scarier. The ones I find most frightening are sci-fi humanoids. We can be fairly sure there's no hydra or kraken. But someday some scientist may slip and create some hideous human-like creature. For me, (at least a few)MMMs are really scary.

My vote would go to AGM. Medusa is particularly terrifying in terms of her ability and her appearance. She should have an autobiography though. "Deflowered and Betrayed by the Gods - My Life As A Spinster"

I think AGMs are scarier, personally. Like...

kraken.jpg

The kraken for instance. o.o

RELEASE THE KRAKEN!!!!!!!!

No seriously, it de6ends on what monster you are talking about. If you're talking about the Kraken vs Elmo (Elmo is considered a monster, along with the rest of SS), then the winner is clear. But you also have to think that there are some modern monsters you don't want to mess with, and that can 6rove more scary than AGM.

I mean c'mon. You wouldn't want to fight King Gidorah or Megalon now would you? I'd much rather fight a minotar than those beasts.

Lol I have no idea who those monsters are . Movie monsters are so much scarier imo because they will torture you before they end you.. Greek monsters its just chomp and your gone generally. Watched a lame movie called dead silence and decided that even though the movie was really bad, puppets are really creepy... So there you are .

Watched a lame movie called dead silence and decided that even though the movie was really bad, puppets are really creepy... So there you are .

I saw that a year or two ago. It was more of comedy than anything. xD AGMs are awesome, and I find them more interesting. There's really nothing in the modern stuff that could scare me though. They are all scared of me.

I personally don't really see a difference in why you would have to set both sets of monsters against each other. The reason I say this is that MMM depend on the AGM almost all the time. Even though there are brand new settings for the monster, either the personality or appearance will relate to AGM. So I can't really see a difference at all between the two. I just think that MMM is pretty much an indepth of AGM with the act of trying to be unique.

Well I certainly agree with you. Greek Monsters did come first and so things do tend to be patterned after them. I am a wimp when it comes to horror movies though. I get nightmares super bad but Greek Monsters fascinate me. So thats why I think Movie Monsters are scarier. They have taken something thats just fascinating and turned it into something terrifying =P

I have one thing to say and one thing only:

Who remembers when vampires and werewolves used to be COOL!??! >.<

So. With that. I can agree that Greek mythology monsters (or ANY mythology monster) beats modern day "monsters" hands down

• 2 months later...

I find the AGM scarier as well as cooler. MMM just make me sick, but then, I don't really watch scary movies. A lot of the MMM are just lame.

This topic has been edited by a member of staff (Spritzie) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please do not bump topics over 21 days old.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

Per the reason above, this topic has been LOCKED. Please contact Spritzie if you have any questions regarding this action.