Power cords and children!

persephoniekali

Does anyone have an idea to hide/cover power cords and other misc. cords? My son has decided that those are the best toys in the world so I'm trying to find something to cover them up! But other than fabric covers, I haven't really seen much.

Any suggestions? :worried:

This topic has been edited by a member of staff (Anime).

The topic was posted in the wrong area.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this topic.

Per the reason above, this topic has been MOVED from ‘Debate and Discussion’ to ‘Random Chit Chat’.

I would suggest some cable organizers or cable hiders.

(Like this: http://crunchgear.com/wp-content/uploads/concealed_surgeprotector_lfstyl.jpg)

Since your son seems to like hanging around cables, make sure that you also have some plastic outlet safety plugs in all the unused outlets. (Little kids love to stick their fingers in the sockets!) These can be purchased at your local Lowe's/Home Depot/home improvement store, most likely in the electrical department.

I just found these, they look pretty new: http://www.lectralock.com/index.htm

Is there any way to place them away from his reach? Like in my house, the cables in my living room are behind the desk, to the point that a child cannot reach them. Try putting them behind a desk or a large object like that, so they cannot be reached.

Another tip is to have your child with you at all times, that way he doesn't wander off to the cables and get hurt. If you see him getting near the cables, pick him up and place him elsewhere.

Shock collar?

(No, I'm joking. Seriously. Don't.)

Maybe you could try fastening the cables down? It might damage the walls a little but it definitely sounds better than your child killing himself.

How old is your son?

Maybe you can strap them along the corners of the walls, and add a plastic tube around them (it sounds stupid, but I'm throwing out ideas now).

How old is your son?

I was wondering this too. I'm going to guess he's 1 or 2.

• 2 weeks later...

I find the over obsessive amounts of effort put into protecting children ridiculous.

Simply don't bear children, or if necessary, wrap the little guy in obscene layers of foam to satisfy your sense of security.

1. I agree that obsessive parenting is stupid. But this isn't over obsessive. This kid constantly puts himself at risk of possible electrocution.

2. There's nothing wrong with having children. If she has a child, it's because she WANTED a child.

3. Don't you think layers of foam is a bit radical?

They make those....oh heck how to describe it....like a playpen without a floor, and it doesn't have to be square. You could take 3 of the panels, and put them around the entertainment center, but that might interfere with infrared remotes and other devices. I'm guessing he's too old or too climb-ey to put in a regular playpen?

Try implementing some rules: Don't go near this, blah, blah, blah.

Or you could put something your child absolutely hates in front of your power points.