Neopets Trying to Compete With Sites Geared Toward Older Users?

nbbug132

Recently, I was looking at the Sugar Cookie Wings item that was given out free for entering round two of the Style Showdown this year and I couldn't help but think "where have I seen this before". Well, it hit me. The Sugar Cookie Wings bear a striking resemblance to an item from the website GaiaOnline called Biancamella (Sugar Wings).

Side by side of the two:

2w20m5z.jpg

Both are equipable items intended to be equipped to either a pet (Neopets) or an avatar (Gaia). They have a similar style and a similar theme.

Another prime example of these sort of parallels is the Mysterious Morphing Experiment. This is an item that changes over time into something new. Gaia also has their version of this, and has for years. It's called an Evolving Item. Ditto Mystery Capsule, themed items that when opened generate a random item. The Gaia version is called a Chance Item or Random Item Generator (RIG).

So this got me thinking. Is Neopets deigning items/releasing content (especially content such as items that sell for real money) that is intended to directly compete with other social networking game sites that would generally be targeted at an older audience?

(I am using Gaia when I use these examples, but only becuase I know how it works & could pull specific examples, this could be applied to any avatar/pet based Social Game website.)

I totally agree. (prepare yourself... my business is coming out)

Neopets had a sustainable competitive advantage when they first started because they were the only site out there that offered the kind of online play they do. In order to retain users and attract new ones, they've had to adapt and add things over the years (there are NUMEROUS examples of this... adding the NC Mall, customization, new worlds, etc). Once other sites were able to create the software to sustain this type of gameplay, Neopets had competitors, and like any business in a competitive setting, has had to compete in order to keep their users from switching (adding loyalty programs for users... more transfers, the Abandoned Attic, etc), and again by adding content to attract new users (more marketing with real world toys and commercials on TV).

Wow... I'm sorry for all that. I almost bored myself with all that... haha... my management professors would be proud of me.lol

i would love for neopets to cater as much for the adult part of the players as the younger ones. HOWEVER i really don't see why that must mean "content such as items that sell for real money" to quote the OP. By their very nature things for which you have to pay real money for is not equal to 'targeted at adults'. I find it both insulting and ignorant on the part of TNT to assume that if a player is an adult s/he is willing to fork out real money.

Neopets has just really focused lately on releasing lots and lots of new content that isn't really that great... When was the last time TNT released a "normal" plot? The whole Moltara plot was pretty pointless and uninteresting.

Well the New Game Challenge keeps players coming back frequently when they release a new game... Instead of having people show up twice a year to challenge AAA and Abigail. So I think that Neopets is feeling the pull by competitors, or that they are having a hard time retaining older players - especially the ones that now just show up for the Altador Cup and then go on hiatus for 10 months till the next AC.

As far as the wings go there are similarities but then again that is a popular style for wings in general. However, I do think there is some competition that has to go on. But then again, nothing is really original anymore There are so many items in all industries that copy off one another.

• 1 month later...

Your ideas about this site open a very attractive and I think will be successful and many visitors!

This topic has been edited by a member of staff (Spritzie) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please do not bump topics over 21 days old.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

Per the reason above, this topic has been LOCKED. Please contact Spritzie if you have any questions regarding this action.