Split Rock Help

Sheta

So, I went over to the window to check on my Split Rock Plant, also known as Living Rock or Pleiospilos nelii, when I noticed one of the buds was...erm...Not exactly wilted but was fallen over and the inside was kinda white. This concerned me because no where had I ever heard of a Split Rock being as white as it was anywhere on the plant! So, being me, I plucked the plant from it's stand and inspected it a bit closer and noticed that the bottom of it appeared very weak and dry and white! I shuddered and, loving my plant more than I feared it, grabbed the bud gently and moved it to the side to get a better look. Well, doing so was the wrong thing! It snapped off and there I had the bud from inside the old bud in my hand(Which I quickly, but gently, put down). And I figured since whatever did this to that bud might be bad for the other two buds(Which appeared very healthy to me...), I used the dead bud to open it slightly, which I normally do with the others and it not only disturbed me, but amazed me that the inside further down than what I had saw before had almost a spider web like inside. So, I got online and did some research for spider web like death for the Split rock and came up with only one possibility. Some pest called Spider Mites....

Pest : Spider Mites

Spider mites are small, 8 legged, spider-like creatures which thrive in hot, dry conditions (like heated houses). Spider mites feed with piercing mouth parts, which cause plants to appear yellow and stippled. Leaf drop and plant death can occur with heavy infestations. Spider mites can multiply quickly, as a female can lay up to 200 eggs in a life span of 30 days. They also produce a web which can cover infested leaves and flowers.

Now, I don't know if anyone on TDN has any Split Rock, but if they do, can they answer me if this is possibly deadly to my other two buds?

Now, my other two buds are just fine right now...They are very bug, the old buds are almost gone like they should about this time of the year, and they are very firm and plump. Here are some pictures I took of them...

mms_picture_4.jpg

mms_picture_3.jpg

mms_picture_2.jpg

mms_picture_1.jpg

I have no clue what happened with the size ;-; I took these all on my phone and uploaded them to photobucket...Huh...Anyway, it is kinda obvious which plant bud is infected...

Any help?

Hmm, I guess it could affect your other buds if there are spider mites still in the plant pot that can get to them.

And wow, I have never heard of or seen a plant quite like that. Incredible.

Looking at your pictures, I would say that the infested part cannot be saved. It looks like it's in really poor shape. If you are trying to save the rest of your plant, I would recommend the following:

• Remove the infested, dying part of the plant. It likely can't be saved and will rob the healthy plant of vital nutrients.
  • Buy some insecticidal soap and follow the directions on the bottle.
  • If you are confident with plants, repot it in a clean pot, using fresh soil that is appropriate for succulents. It will say if it's the right kind of soil on the bag. Use a pot with a drainage hole. The pot should be the same size as the current pot or only slightly bigger. You can reuse the current pot if you sterilize it and use the insecticidal soap.

Personally, I don't have much luck with succulents and cacti. Hopefully, you will be able to nurse it back to health.

Yeah my sister made me buy some 3-in-1 stuff from the Home Depot (and I think they have it at Wal-Mart, too)

It's insecticide, soap, and something else.

All I know is that she sprayed it on my Hibiscus and now it's beautiful and not looking sick.

She always comes over to take care of my plants. They will look awful and she'll just give them water (lol!) and the spray stuff.

I don't know a durn thing about plants, but maybe it would help? Poor plant. It's really cool though. I've seen those kind before. :)

Yeah, this plant is pretty cool :) Most people can't take care of them because they are over-waterative and can't resist watering them, which will kill them if done too much.

I'm not sure when, but I believe the Split Rock does blossom with very beautiful flowers...I will have to see next time we go to the store if I can find some good insecticides. I will most likely move the plant whenever we get the soil...

And I had already accidently snapped off the infected bud so I threw it away and washed my hands>.>"

I can't believe I have kept it this long in the pot it kept in...Also, I am more leaned on the idea of Spider Mites because When I picked the plant from the stand, I noticed what I thought was a small spider hanging from it...

Grr>.>"

Thanks everyone for the help, and if anyone else has any help with these plants, go ahead and tell me ;D Remember, I am 13 so there is a lot I don't know about plants...

Edit: D: I went to check on my other plant today and the same, if not similar, thing happened to it D: I need to go down to the store today and see if they might have some kind of pesticides....>.<" I don't want to lose my plants to Spyders D: (Oh, pwned myselfx3).