21 Things You Should Never Buy New

Cornflakes

I found this article today: Yahoo! Link to article

Let me just summarize the 21 things for those of you that are too lazy to click links. (I am one of such type people.)

1. DVDs and CDs

2. Books

3. Video Games (kinda weird that they still call them video games, eh? but anyway)

4. Special occasion and holiday clothing (includes wedding dresses!)

5. Jewelry

6. Ikea Furniture

7. Games and toys

8. Maternity and Baby clothes

9. Musical instruments

10. Pets

11. Home accent pieces

12. Craft supplies

13. Houses

14. Office furniture

15. Cars

16. Hand tools

17. Sports equipment

18. Consumer electronics

19. Gardening supplies

20. Timeshares

21. Recreational items

So what do you think of this list? I'm curious. The link actually gets more in-depth with the reasoning of why some of the stuff is on the list, so..click it, thx :P

I can only buy video games and DVDs new. When I buy a used game or DVD, it never works because it's all scrached up.

And I don't get tired of games quickly. Remember, I'm TDN's Video Game Addict.

I agree with most of this. I usually buy movies used, adore vintage clothes and decorations and I love collecting old versions of books. But sometimes buying used just isn't an option. (A lot of electronics can be really cheap if you buy an old model. A used version of the same model might be the same price and last ten times shorter.)

Also: baby clothes? I know they outgrow them in about two weeks but hopefully the clothes you find aren't stained!

A note on the 'pets': please everyone, if you are thinking of getting a cat or a dog look into adoption. www.petfinder.com is a great site to find your new fuzzy friend. I volunteer at an animal shelter and all of our pets are on there. Buying from a breeder is probably the worst thing you can do for animal rights.

don't you always buy pets used? o_O

It's called adoption. And I fully agree that it's better to give an animal a second chance.

I don't know if it's a good idea to get used Ikea funature. What if someone puked or spilled something on the sofa you just bought on ebay?

There are quite a few things I disagree with. DVDs, CDs, and video games should be bought new in my opinion. Then you don't have the hassle of getting scratched up discs, which can be really annoying when they make you lag in the middle of an intense firefight on some first-person shooter <_<

Also for musical instruments, you'll probably want a new one. Usually if you buy a new one, it'll be better quality. And if you're going to get a used one so you don't spend too much money, it'd be a better idea to just rent it out - and if you're really interested in the instrument, then buy a new one.

There are quite a few things I disagree with. DVDs, CDs, and video games should be bought new in my opinion. Then you don't have the hassle of getting scratched up discs, which can be really annoying when they make you lag in the middle of an intense firefight on some first-person shooter <_<

Personal experience, Will? :P

I mostly agree with the stuff on the list, but there are some things I would like to buy new. As everyone has said, CDs and such. Not only are they less likely to be scratched, but the artist then gets the royalties from it as well, and they worked hard to put it together.

Also, books. This isn't really a logical reason, but there's something to be said for the smell of a brand new book. And used ones might have cracked spines! D= *is a book lover* Then again, there's also something to be said for the smell of really old books. ^_^

As for games and toys... used board games will be missing something. It's like a law of the universe that as soon as a board game is opened, one piece goes missing.

I've also had this experience, like said in the first post I had here:

I can only buy video games and DVDs new. When I buy a used game or DVD, it never works because it's all scrached up.

I mostly agree with the stuff on the list, but there are some things I would like to buy new. As everyone has said, CDs and such. Not only are they less likely to be scratched, but the artist then gets the royalties from it as well, and they worked hard to put it together.

Also, books. This isn't really a logical reason, but there's something to be said for the smell of a brand new book. And used ones might have cracked spines! D= *is a book lover* Then again, there's also something to be said for the smell of really old books. ^_^

Possibly :shiftyeyes_anim:

But I have to agree with you about books. There's just something about buying a new book.

And sometimes I like to be the first to crack the spines. Makes me feel like I'm breaking them in (and it also stops me from obsessing over not cracking the spines :P).

The biggest problem I've had is with Deathrow. It stopped working the moment I was going to start a match. It never worked, and I never got my refund because the seller didn't want to give me my money back.

As for games and toys... used board games will be missing something. It's like a law of the universe that as soon as a board game is opened, one piece goes missing.

Double-y so if it's Monopoly. *nods* Good-bye pewter hat token.

I buy all my CDs off TradeMe (New Zealand version of Ebay) and I almost never have problems. If I do, I get a refund.

I have over 70 CDs. Which at around $10 (NZD) each is still a lot of money. But imagine if I'd paid $35 for each if I'd bought them new!

Also for musical instruments, you'll probably want a new one. Usually if you buy a new one, it'll be better quality. And if you're going to get a used one so you don't spend too much money, it'd be a better idea to just rent it out - and if you're really interested in the instrument, then buy a new one.

Actually, for string instruments, each sound that travels through the instrument develops the sound of the wood. New string instruments tend to sound different, so people go for the older instruments to get a better sound.

I don't know about craft supplies. Things that I'd want organized, like a new thing of beads, can't be found used. I probably wouldn't want to finish someone else's craft, either :P

I think the title is misleading...I mean, SOMEONE has to use and buy it new for it to even BE used. "21 things to look for used instead of new" would have been a better way.

Some things I prefer new, others, I don't mind used. DVDs and CDs, definitely new. I prefer them over digital copies since they come with artwork and pretty credits. Lyric booklets are awsome, and it's fun looking out for the errors (I think almost every cd has one!)

Video games...only used if either A) it's a game I am familiar with (such as playing it over a friends house before) or b) it comes with all the manuals

Musical instruments...only if it's something that doesn't involve mouth contact (like a keyboard, guitar, drums). Otherwise, that's just gross (even with a new mouthpiece). Yes, there are cleaners, but other people's spit has been in there. Have you guys ever smelled the inside an instrument that hasn't been cleaned out for a bit? It's DISGUSTING.

Books? Meh, depends on the condition. If it's good, why not?

Most people buy their houses used, so that doesn't even need to be on there.

And while I do think it's nice to buy a rescue pet, there are other factors to consider. By getting a pet from a professional breeder, it's far more likely to have the traits you may or may not want (or need). I'm currently on the hunt for breeders, since I am moving into an apartment and need a cat with certain specifics, and I'm more likely to get what suits me and my new place by getting a breed that best fits that. Plus every other cat I have ever owned was a rescue cat, so I can forgive myself.

Actually, for string instruments, each sound that travels through the instrument develops the sound of the wood. New string instruments tend to sound different, so people go for the older instruments to get a better sound.

But I think the majority of the used ones would be "rent" quality. If you're going into Counties or Districts or above, then you'd definitely want to consider better instruments.

But I think the majority of the used ones would be "rent" quality. If you're going into Counties or Districts or above, then you'd definitely want to consider better instruments.

It all depends on where you look :] Some places only have high quality used instruments, and some only have rental instruments. Yup :] It's just that some of the older instrument crafters were better than the ones today, and the only way to buy their instruments is used. Everyone has a different opinion on each crafter, though.

Well it also kinda depends on what you're using your instrument for. The older instruments (which can still be made new, since people can copy their style) produce a darker sound which is better for solos, but newer style instruments are better for orchestras because they're brighter and louder, and people like that.

True that :]

Gotta love things judged by the senses, like sound. It always offers interesting ideas, thoughts, and experiences. There are so many variables to these sorts of things, too. I'm so glad I got involved with sound and music :D

Here's my thoughts:

Video games, DVDs and CDs - Disagree. Used CDs/DVDs/Video Games are hard to find in good condition.

Books - I agree and disagree. I buy my favorite authors new, get my others used.

Cars - Agree and disagree. Nothing beats a new car (of the right kind) IF you can afford it. Personally, I bought my car used. (I had to. My dream car was a 2000 Toyota Rav4, and unforunately, they don't make 2000 Rav4's new anymore. :laughingsmiley: )

When I was reading the list, I was nodding in agreement with cars and houses and books.

Cars should never be bought new. A car isn't an investment. A car will take like 50 years and tons of money to regain its value or even increase in value. The rest? Buy used, save a ton of money. Drive it til the wheels fall off. Repeat. :)

Houses - yeah, this one was kind of a common sense thing - someone said that already, so I wanted to agree.

Books - New books are an absolute waste of money. A lot of the people who buy new books read them once and then sell them for a deep discount. Also, books last almost indefinitely in most cases. Plus, they are so initially expensive that the cost has nowhere to go but down.

But then there were other parts that made me say to myself "Hmmm, I wonder if other people will disagree too." Looks like you do. Yay

DVDs CDs and VGs - I would never ever ever buy a used DVD, CD or VG. People only sell the newer ones if they are scratched and couldn't get their money back from the store. Plus, the prices for used are usually outrageous.

Instead of saying "never buy them new," I say "never buy them at first...wait until the price goes down!!" ESPECIALLY video games. They come out at $60 and then in a few months they're in the clearance bin at Wal-Mart for $20. Patience pays off when it comes to anything on disc. Never ever ever buy it when it first comes out!

Used wedding dress?!?!?! Heck nooooo. I am not getting married in someone else's dress! Ewwwww.

Jewelry - Yep, good idea. Jewelry is another of those items that lasts indefinitely. However, some jewelry becomes unfashionable, so it's difficult in some cases to buy used. But engagement rings---I say guys, go for it. A used engagement ring will usually save you a TON of money. Just don't tell your woman you bought it used!

Ikea furniture...? Okay, the only used furniture I will ever buy is antique. The rest of it, especially couches and anything else covered in cloth, is iffy to no-go for me. Why buy used Ikea furniture? It's not that expensive. Or even better, save your money and buy a quality item that doesn't require home assembly. A good dining room table will set you back a couple grand but it will last forever. I firmly believe in that old adage, "You get what you pay for."

Games and toys? Ewwwww. I don't want to give my child a nasty used toy that who-know-whose snotty children have been drooling all over and wiping them down with God knows what. The savings are not worth the hepatitis risk! (Okay maybe I'm being a little dramatic, but ewww.) And games - like board games - well, I collect board games so I buy them used all the time. You just have to make sure the pieces are all there.

Baby and Maternity clothes - yep, no real reason to buy used. Your baby will literally grow out of them in weeks. Same goes for baby shoes. Have you seen the tiny Timberlands and Nikes at Foot Locker? Like $60 a pop. Yeah right. People who buy those things are the same ones that have to call Dave Ramsey for help!

What exactly is the definition of a "used" pet? Does this mean we shouldn't get puppies? Yeah, because there's tons of people that foster puppies, or give away their puppy after it grows up into a dog. This isn't a logical suggestion. But yes, please adopt from your local shelter.

...Craft supplies? Does this mean half-empty bottles of puff-paint? Used paintbrushes? That's another silly thing to put on the list.

Sports equipment, eh...well I've got some jock straps I can sell you :P

Breeders are okay if they're not keeping bunches of dogs in cages just to pop out puppies. They're so iffy these days that it's hard to be sure. :(

I bought my beloved puppy from the back of a girl's SUV in a Wal-Mart parking lot. I have no idea if she was running a puppy mill but she seemed like a nice girl and the dogs were very well-kept, so I'm pretty sure they weren't from a mill. I could have gone to the pound but I elected to pay $160 for my best friend.

Love just happens, you can't predict it. I took one look into her eyes and I was a goner. :wub_anim:

I saw this article Well with any of these things you have to be careful getting second hand because some people take better care of their things than others. You just have to know where to go and examine things

1.Cd/DVDS-A big chunk of my DVDs actually come from Blockbuster and I have had no problem.

2. Books-I LOVE used book stores Who knows what great finds you will find I really only get my favs new like Harry Potter and such Otherwise bring the used

3. Video Games-I find this is hit or miss I have gotten some where one scratch ends it all but cartridge games like Nintendo and Sega fare better

4. Special occasion and holiday clothing (includes wedding dresses!)- And prom/formal wear- I try to recycle my dresses but still have only worn my prom dress twice Wedding dresses-Considering it is used once why not Steam clean and away you go

5. Jewelry-Definitely I wouldn't even care if my guy got me a used engagement ring, as long as he got me something that was ME

6. Ikea Furniture-or any other furniture for that case I like older styles like solid wood desks and such but I think most furniture in my house would be used. Go craigslist! and it can be so much cheaper

7. Games and toys-garage sales!

8. Maternity and Baby clothes

9. Musical instruments-eh some things you can and some you can't Aren't some instruments specially fitted for the weilder? I would be careful with things that involve the mouth

10. Pets-great cause

11. Home accent pieces

12. Craft supplies-I think they mean preowned not preused though if cleaned properly old brushes and pallets can be fine.

13. Houses-Love old houses and why pay for all the supplies to build a new house Plus you can always do additions and alterations

14. Office furniture-Do you know the kind of things that schools throw away? It's crazy

15. Cars-Haven't had a new one yet but still going

16. Hand tools-sure

17. Sports equipment-depends Some things like balls, mits, and such need to be newer

18. Consumer electronics-Some types can be fine but others not Like an older computer may be too out of date to be helpful

19. Gardening supplies-yup

20. Timeshares-yup

21. Recreational items