3. Gypsy - Fleetwood Mac

4. Rhiannon - Fleetwood Mac

5. You Make Loving Fun - Fleetwood Mac

6. Sunglasses at Night - Corey Hart

7. Like a Prayer - Madonna

8. Poker Face - Lady Gaga

9. Single Ladies - Beyonce

10. Forever and For Always - Shania Twain

Well, after much deliberation, and whittling down my list from twice that number, I came up with a list of ten songs that I love. In truth, though, they are likely not my top ten favourites ever, just in the past decade. It would be hard to remember how much I have loved the songs that would have been my favourites in decades past, compared to the past ten years.

Note: These songs are in no particular order.

Would? - Alice In Chains

Bleak - Opeth

Harvest - Opeth

The Wanderer - Ensiferum

Colossus - Borknagar

Heart of Gold - Neil Young

Moonshield - In Flames

Polovtsian Dances (Prince Igor) - Alexander Borodin

Lost Paintings (Castlevania: Symphony of the Night soundtrack) - Michiru Yamane

Digerdöden - Thyrfing

A very good question. I've always believed that I can get to know someone judging on the type of music they prefer, and have always loved music myself.

...and I am horrified to have come to the conclusion that I only have 1 favourite song of all time o.o This being

Stairway to Heaven.

And if you don't know whose it is, then I must scream. (Led Zeppelin.)

It's been my favourite since I was 9 years old, which basically amounts to almost 10 years. Is stands undefeated on this position, and I am 100% positive that it always will.

Here's a little backstory for those interested: my dad used to take us on trips, and all he had in his car were old songs like The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Smokie, ABBA, Golden 70s and such. He played those, and my sister and I usually pretended to play the guitar parts on the bottles of juice we'd always buy earlier. I can safely say these trips shaped my music taste and are the main reason why I never listen to this crap they serve us most of the time in tv or the radio.

Nothing comes close to Stairway to Heaven, but if I had to choose some other songs, I'd point to:

- Time's Scar; Dream of the shore near another world (both by Yasunori Mitsuda, both are part of the Chrono Cross soundtrack)

- Torn by Natalie Imbruglia

- Caribbean Blu by Enya

- Bloody Sunday; With or without you; Walk on; and some others by U2

- July Morning; Lady in Black by Uriah Heep

- Needles&Pins by Smokie

- Waterloo; Fernando by ABBA

- Supermassive Black Hole by Muse

- Wonderwall; Falling Down; Don't look back in anger by Oasis

- You're not Alone; Main Theme of Final Fantasy (both by Nobuo Uematsu, both in orchestral versions)

...and oh well, that's already way more than 10 -.- I'm sorry. I'm unable to make a top 10 list of anything, ever D:

That would kinda defeat the purpose of the exercise. ;)

Well, it's better than making a post without any songs in it at all! Unless you're really indecisive, I guess. :S

Btw this topic is great. I'm finding some really nice music in here <33

Dominika, you are in the presence of a larger than life Led Zeppelin fan.

*high five*

Although I think Stairway is REALLY overrated (to the point when Page and Plant wouldn't play it live, they were so sick of it!) it still gives me shivers. Certainly not their best song though, but then again, I'm really partial to the first and third album. (Zeppelin III is amazing, almost entirely acoustic. It's my favorite album art too, I love having it on vinyl because of the little wheel inside of it.)

Ah, I could go on for a while but I'll hush now. :P

I am ashamed of myself. I'm looking back on my list and just realized I didn't even add Lady Gaga. Her music is fantastic. Especially Future Love, Bad Romance, and Telephone. <3

I guess I have to change my top ten into a top 13 now haha. '_';

in no particular order

Bubble Toes- Jack Johnson- you have to listen to it

Gravity- John Mayer- nice rhythm and very calming

Yourbiggestfan (ukulele remix)-nevershoutnever!- I'm happy when I listen to this, and yes, there aren't supposed to be any spaces

Spaceman-The Killers-this is a song I could never get bored of

The Tip of the Iceberg- Owl City- this song really just makes you happy

Hey, Soul Sister- Train- mainstream, yes, but wonderful

Within Destruction-As I lay Dying- screamo. Enough said.

Reptar, King of the Ozone- The Devil Wears Prada-Screamo. Enough said.

One Day-Matisyahu- Don't really like this kind of music, but this is an exception

Let it Be- The Beatles-It's the freakin Beatles. 'Nuff said

REPTAR KING OF THE OZONE! I'm glad someone on this topic agrees with my music tastes :king:

Good call, Cornflakes. :yes: One's taste in arts (music, movies, books etc) can give you a pretty good picture of a person.

This is going to be SO difficult. I love way way WAY too many bands and am in love with far too many songs *pokes About Me section* but here goes nothin.

In no particular order, from the "recent-ish" music category:

This Ain't a Surfin' Movie - Minus the Bear (going to see them July 4th in Toronto--SO excited.)

The Maid Needs a Maid - Emily Haines & The Soft Skeleton

A Tender History in Rust - Do Make Say Think

Worlds Apart - ...And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead

Up With Me - Boys Night Out

Losing Friends - Death From Above 1979

Take It Easy, Love Nothing - Bright Eyes

Mix Tape - Brand New (or anything by them really, they are probably my favourite band ever!)

I'm Sleeping in A Submarine - The Arcade Fire

A Mix of Sun and Cloud - The Most Serene Republic

Of course there are favourites from every decade (90s especially) but this encompasses my favourites right at this moment from the playlists I've been listening to for the past few weeks.

This list will most definitely change over time. Yay for Canadian bands/artists!

EDIT: Oh and I have to give Lady Gaga an honourable mention here, in agreeance with everyone else. She is so fantastic, and I have a ton of respect for her and what she does. She jumped two steps ahead of everyone else, and now they're scrambling to catch up and copy her (Christina Aguilera anyone?) I love that she wrote songs for everyone else and then decided it was time to do her own stuff. And I love that she can play quite a few instruments. She isn't just a pop starlet that knows how to get attention. She is an artEEST! And she makes some dang catchy songs and makes bold statements (anyone see her cover for Q magazine?)

Good call, Cornflakes. :yes: One's taste in arts (music, movies, books etc) can give you a pretty good picture of a person.

Why thank you...I asked someone irl for their top 10 and they got all mad. "I don't even listen to music. I don't have favorite songs." ...WHAAA?! A life without music?? That was very telling by itself...anyway, the prospective friend turned out to be a total coward and general dishonorable character. Is it because of his dislike of music? Well maybe not, but I beg to differ. :)

EDIT: Oh and I have to give Lady Gaga an honourable mention here, in agreeance with everyone else. She is so fantastic, and I have a ton of respect for her and what she does. She jumped two steps ahead of everyone else, and now they're scrambling to catch up and copy her (Christina Aguilera anyone?) I love that she wrote songs for everyone else and then decided it was time to do her own stuff. And I love that she can play quite a few instruments. She isn't just a pop starlet that knows how to get attention. She is an artEEST! And she makes some dang catchy songs and makes bold statements (anyone see her cover for Q magazine?)

Okay, I like Gaga. I really didn't at first. I was like "What has this chick been smoking?!" And then there was that "Just Dance" song. Urrrrrrg, it's her worst song by far. IMHO, anyway.

But then "Bad Romance" came out, and I liked how she sang the song. It was totally different than everyone else on pop radio. Her voice hearkens back to the old days of music, a la Barbra Streisand, Liza Minnelli, et al.

Then...I watched the video. WOW, what a fantastic video. I looooove the sterile hospital coffins, the white leather suits, and especially the outfit with the "lobster shoes" and the guy with the golden jaw. Brilliance. I watched the video every day and listened to the song multiple times per day. I became a hopeless Gaga addict.

Then that "Alejandro" song came out. I like it. My husband hates it. My son does too. They complain that it's repetitive and boring. I happen to think it's catchy and fun. That's really what pop music is: Musical confection, like cotton candy. Cotton candy tastes awesome and it's totally fun to eat but it offers no nutritional value. ;)

Yep - Christina Aguilera has always chased the famous ones and emulated them to the fullest of her ability. (Remember "Dirrty," came out months after "I'm a Slave 4 U"? Youtube those videos and I'm sure you'll see the not-so-subtle similarities!) Xtina's only distinguishing characteristic is her voice. Of course, she is an amazing singer, but her lack of personal individualism will always be her Achilles heel. I hope one day she gets her own thing going on. She's a very talented singer and she should be successful just being herself.

I mean, Katy Perry is a terrible, generic, boring singer with a too-commercial voice, but at least she is uniquely Katy Perry! (Despite the fact that being Katy Perry may not be a good thing...but I digress.) :P

Back to Gaga. I agree - she is an artist. An "ar-teest," even. Unfortunately, she is not a musical artist. She is a performance artist. Her voice is also generic and unoriginal (except of course in "Bad Romance"). The absolute only thing that sets her apart is how she dresses. Without her outlandish wardrobe, she would be just another poptart wannabe from Manhattan. Don't believe me? Just ask Stefani Germanotta. ;)

Hm.. I thought I would put in my favorites. Although, this task is hard - I'll list them in no particular order.

Bust a Move - Young MC

I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor - Arctic Monkeys

Meet Virginia - Train

1901 - Pheonix

List of Demands - Saul Williams

Country Grammar - Nelly

Larger Than Life - Backstreet Boys

Chicken Fried - Zac Brown Band

The Fear - Lily Allen

New York, New York - Frank Sinatra

...my interest are varied, if you can't tell.

• 2 weeks later...

hmmm...(no particular order)

If we ever meet again-Katy Perry and Timbaland

Uptown, get around- Stereo skyline

No such thing- John Mayer

You found me- the Fray

The Veronicas- Everything I'm Not

Paramore- That's What You Get

3OH!3- My first kiss (yeah... :wub_anim: )

Vanessa Carlton- A Thousand Miles

Sarah Mclachlan- In The Arms Of An Angel (makes me cry :crying: )

Impossible- Shontelle

In No particular order:

This Afternoon - Nickelback

I'm your's - Jason Mraz

Tie Me Down - New Boyz

Whats Hurts The Most - Rascal Flatts

Fireflies - Owl City

California Girls - Katy Perry

Paralyzer - Finger Eleven

Airplanes - B.o.B feat. Hayley Williams

Piano Man - Billy Joel

Save a Horse (Ride a Cowboy) - Big & Rich

OK there :laughingsmiley:

Ooh...this is a tough one. I listen to too much music. In no particular order....

1. Tourniquet by Evanescence

2. Those You've Known by Jonathan Groff from Spring Awakening. :wub_anim:

3. Fences by Paramore

4. Transmission by Blake Lewis

5. Super Mario Bros by BYU Vocal Point

6. Hiphopopotamus vs the Rhymenocerous by Flight of the Conchords

7. Kidnap the Sandy Claws from Tim Burton's the Nightmare Before Christmas

8. I'll Make a Man out of You from Mulan

9. Jesus of Suburbia by Green Day

10. Pokemon Theme Song. nuff said.

Wow. That was actually...extremely difficult.

I could do without most of Doc's list, but I like Fireflies and I'm Yours

Wow, Domino, I haven't heard of any besides the 5th and the last 4 *goes to listen *

here's my edited list

Better Together- Jack Johnson- you have to listen to it

Gravity- John Mayer- nice rhythm and very calming

Yourbiggestfan-nevershoutnever!- I'm happy when I listen to this, and yes, there aren't supposed to be any spaces

When You Were Young-The Killers-this is a song I could never get bored of

The Tip of the Iceberg- Owl City- this song really just makes you happy

My Paper Heart by The All-American Rejects- lve the lyrics sound, everything

Within Destruction-As I lay Dying-no excuse to not listen to it

Reptar, King of the Ozone- The Devil Wears Prada-Beautiful lyrics

Heartless- A Day to Remember- Pretty intense and awesome and the last line is one of the most epic in music :P

The Artist-Alesana- Just an amazing song

if any of you listen just so ya know numbers 7-10 are pretty intense :P