ad across neopet toolbar

sirius

I'm not sure if this was addressed previously. I am using IE (though I don't know what - if any - difference that makes) and I now have an ad across the Neopet tool bar. I can't navigate the site or see how many neopoints I have, quite basically. I'm already using an ad-blocker because of the stupid ad they had up for something else. Why isn't it working for this one?

Is this happening to anyone else and how can it be fixed. It has caused unnecessary stress on something that used to be relaxing and fun. If TNT don't fix it, I can't play it and then all the ads in the world aren't going to help.

Panic not, all fixed. It's pefect again with just a small tweak of the adblocker .css file.

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Stephé) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please do not double post. Use the edit post instead.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

Hey, I'm not sure if this is the exact issue you're having but I think it may be related--this started happening to me yesterday (last night, but I'm not sure what time zone you're in lol). I'm using Google Chrome and some ad blockers as well. And suddenly the white Nickelodeon toolbar is covering up the space below it, so event notifications are blocked, as well as my number of neopoints, and I can't click on them no matter what I do. Not to mention there's an annoying black bar in the middle of the page wherever I go. I made a screenshot of it:

screenie.jpg

So as you can see it's pretty annoying. They may have changed some coding in their site somewhere, and now it's messing things up for us? Have you notified TNT? We probably should... otherwise they may not know it's a problem.

On the other hand, they MAY already be aware, and may be using it as an annoyance to those of us who use ad blockers. Maybe if we remove the ad blockers, it will look nicer, so maybe this is a way of coercing us?!?! :ohno: hahah just a theory <_<

DESCRIPTION OF PROBLEM. (1) The top page banner collapses, often leaving behind a black advertising artifact. (2) The white Nickelodeon bar covers the Neopets menu bar. This means you can't see special events, you can't see how much NP you have, and if you log out, you can't log back in.

CAUSE OF PROBLEM. If you have an ad-blocker, your ad-blocker will try to collapse (hide or shrink) the advertising space at the top of the page. That means the top part of your Neopets page will collapse. This will make the white Nickelodeon bar drop down and cover your Neopets menu.

SOLUTION. You have two choices:

1) Fix your ad-blocker options (e.g., look for a feature called "collapse ads" and then disable that feature). This way, the blocked ads won't collapse, and the Nickelodeon bar won't drape itself over your Neopets menu bar. ( EDIT: It turns out this issue has been discussed at length here: http://www.tdnforums.com/index.php?/topic/20209-neopets-firefox-glitch )

2) You can do what I do and disable all ad-blockers on Neopets. That is, allow ads to appear on Neopets. This is the simplest solution, and I feel this is the ethical decision to make. After all, we want Neopets to make money from advertising so that Neopets can continue investing and improving its site and we can continue to play Neopets for free, right? :) Just my thoughts. :)

2) You can do what I do and disable all ad-blockers on Neopets. That is, allow ads to appear on Neopets. This is the simplest solution, and I feel this is the ethical decision to make. After all, we want Neopets to make money from advertising so that Neopets can continue investing and improving its site and we can continue to play Neopets for free, right? :) Just my thoughts. :)

I would be alright with this idea if I didn't have issues with dialog boxes popping up before every 5th ad or so loads, asking me to give permission for it to load. Even when I click "No" it asks me again next time. I've tried going into FF and editing allowances for ads, but it still doesn't make any difference. And when refreshing as much as I normally do, be it while playing Pyramids or looking for stuff at the garage sale, it gets REALLY annoying. Plus when browsing on my netbook, an ad would fill up like 50% of my screen making me scroll like mad to get to whatever it is I want to see. That's why I enabled ad-blockers in the first place. I'd rather have this little annoyance than several larger ones.

*deep breath* sorry for rambling, it's just a little pet peeve of mine. No hard feelings intended! ^_^

Thanks for posting a link to that other thread too, I'll definitely check it out and see what I can do to fix this.

Hey, I'm not sure if this is the exact issue you're having but I think it may be related--this started happening to me yesterday (last night, but I'm not sure what time zone you're in lol). I'm using Google Chrome and some ad blockers as well. And suddenly the white Nickelodeon toolbar is covering up the space below it, so event notifications are blocked, as well as my number of neopoints, and I can't click on them no matter what I do. Not to mention there's an annoying black bar in the middle of the page wherever I go. I made a screenshot of it:

screenie.jpg

So as you can see it's pretty annoying. They may have changed some coding in their site somewhere, and now it's messing things up for us? Have you notified TNT? We probably should... otherwise they may not know it's a problem.

On the other hand, they MAY already be aware, and may be using it as an annoyance to those of us who use ad blockers. Maybe if we remove the ad blockers, it will look nicer, so maybe this is a way of coercing us?!?! :ohno: hahah just a theory <_<

Being a great believer in conspiracy theories, you could be right. However, my problem looked nothing like that. The ad I had actually covered the part that helps you to navigate the site that is below the bit where your neopoints and name are. I fixed it by tweaking the ad blocker, a friend managed to get into the Neopet forums and they had a coding fix.

And yes, I did email TNT and let them know how annoying it was. I don't think they'll get back to me...

Thank you for your help.

DESCRIPTION OF PROBLEM. (1) The top page banner collapses, often leaving behind a black advertising artifact. (2) The white Nickelodeon bar covers the Neopets menu bar. This means you can't see special events, you can't see how much NP you have, and if you log out, you can't log back in.

CAUSE OF PROBLEM. If you have an ad-blocker, your ad-blocker will try to collapse (hide or shrink) the advertising space at the top of the page. That means the top part of your Neopets page will collapse. This will make the white Nickelodeon bar drop down and cover your Neopets menu.

SOLUTION. You have two choices:

1) Fix your ad-blocker options (e.g., look for a feature called "collapse ads" and then disable that feature). This way, the blocked ads won't collapse, and the Nickelodeon bar won't drape itself over your Neopets menu bar. ( EDIT: It turns out this issue has been discussed at length here: http://www.tdnforums.com/index.php?/topic/20209-neopets-firefox-glitch )

The problem was that an ad appeared right across the navigation bar of my Neopets page. I couldn't see who I was, how many neopoints I had and nor could I navigate the site. I already got rid of the Nickelodeon bar. I could actually log out and in.

I did look at the solutions for 'Firefox glitsch' but as I don't use Firefox and don't plan to, the solutions weren't useful to me.

I agree in part about the ads but they slow down games, cause other problems I don't even know about and clutter pages. I don't click ads online, on any site. Neopets can advertise all it wants but, be honest here, do they have any impact at all on your life? How many have you clicked and bought products from or used their services? Do they really work? We are bombarded by ads everytime we turn around, I know I'm pretty much desensitised to them. And, if Neopets are advertising themselves, who is paying who? I was perfectly okay with the ads on Neopets 'til the white Nickelodeon one dropped everything on my page down 1cm. I worked out how to get rid of it and now all is sweet again.

Thank you for your help.

Erm, I'm having this problem, and as I clear my cookies nightly, I can't log in! Could you explain how to fix it please? :)

Are you using IE? If yes, I can tell you how to get rid of it, if not I can only direct you to a page that will help ( a bit) but I can't do more.

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Stephé) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please do not post multiple times in a row. Use the edit post instead.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

I understand that not everybody agrees with my philosophy to allow ads at Neopets. I understand that not everybody can tolerate ads. I don't mind ads because I do enjoy a significant number of the ads I get. Maybe my tolerance for advertising is because I don't own or watch TV, and maybe it's because my address is French so the ads I get are French, or maybe I have never been what you would call "normal"! :laughingsmiley: :D

Anyway, in case anybody missed it, an elegant solution using Adblock Plus has been posted here: http://www.tdnforums.com/index.php?/topic/20209-neopets-firefox-glitch/page__st__20__p__338677entry338677