A very sad update in my life

Mira

OK, well, I'm not leaving these forums. Something really sad happened. So I had this really nice friend from school who was really nice. I haven't seen him around school for a while, so I thought he changed classes. I found out that he moved. But it turns out that he was homeless! He didn't look homeless at all. He had that top of his hair dyed red once and he had this uber black beanie that he wore. He was so nice. But now I notice that he never smiled. Probably because he was homeless. I never saw a little grin on him. I miss him a lot. Does anyone have any experiences of anything having to do with homelessness? I would like to hear your stories and opinions. :(

Dude, I went back to China in 2001ish when I was 11 or so. I visited the city of Lanzhou and there were beggars everywhere. You want to give them money,but as soon as you hand some to one person,a bunch of them come out,all wanting some. This may seem cruel,but it isn't that great an idea of having homeless-sevices in China.Corruption is rampant,and the Chinese society considers beggars and hobos as pretty low in the "food chain of Communism".

PS,shouldn't this be considered for "Yays and Nays"?

I don't want to sound mean or anything, but I don't really give money to homeless people. The reason for this is that not all homeless are good people...so if I give money to one, who knows what s/he would do with that money. They still do live from the government, though. Well, I've tried to give some fruit to one homeless once and he wanted money so I'm like :eh:. So, I really don't know...at least you do know the guy and you know he is a good person and I wish I knew every homeless so I knew who to give stuff to.

you know homeless people dont get as much money as you think begging. only about one dollar every day. people think of homeless people as bad and gross people. but most of them were born homeless so it isnt their fault. and they get beat up a lot because they are weak from haing no food or being cold. like Tiny Tim from A Christmas Carol. he was poor and had a birth defect in his leg and each day he was getting weaker and weaker and dying every day

Well its kinda hard determining who to give money and who not to, as penguin said, ur not sure if they will just take the money and spend it on booze or drugs, which some of them do, b/c thats how they got into the predicament they are in, in the first place. Secondly, where I live, you'll find that these "beggars" are real con artists, who do in fact pull in quite a bit of money, with some sob story.

A good idea is to volunteer or donate to some charity organization so that when confronted with a beggar you can direct them somewhere that they can get proper help

No problem. I think there were only four other people that came with me. I got a couple of food stains by the time we were done. x_x

I'm usually wary of the homeless people (or at least beggars) here... They're always hanging around near the popular stores trying to beg money off unsuspecting or kindhearted students... But I don't trust them to use the money to help themselves, so I don't give them anything. Actually it kind of creeps me out. I feel bad about it, because for all I know they're good people, but it's just so hard to tell. :sad02:

i dunno i reckon half are good people are half are bad.

i sometimes donate to good causes but not to everyone

One day me and my friend were going to a cash point to get money, a homeless person was standing in between the 2 machines with a bottle of vodka in his hand. we could tell if we did give any money he just go and buty more booze. If they look like they actually need it and look like they're not gonna spend it on booze/drugs then i donate,

But if they're not gonna try to suceed, why?? like they could get a job selling magazines in the street (where i live its called 'The Big Issue') and get money and try moving up in the world, but if they're onna just go buy more vodka then turn into a violent homeless person, i don't any part of that.

i dunno i reckon half are good people are half are bad.

i sometimes donate to good causes but not to everyone

One day me and my friend were going to a cash point to get money, a homeless person was standing in between the 2 machines with a bottle of vodka in his hand. we could tell if we did give any money he just go and buty more booze. If they look like they actually need it and look like they're not gonna spend it on booze/drugs then i donate,

But if they're not gonna try to suceed, why?? like they could get a job selling magazines in the street (where i live its called 'The Big Issue') and get money and try moving up in the world, but if they're onna just go buy more vodka then turn into a violent homeless person, i don't any part of that.

well, first of all, not all homeless people live in the city where they sell magazines on the street. and not all homeless people are like that. maybe he was drinking that because he was so depressed about having nothing. or he could have found it somewhere and if its edible, the homeless need it. as long as it fills up their stomachs. plus there are places to give money that will donate to the poor. most churches support homeless people and let people donate. plus the harvest food bank gives food to the poor.

Awww, i hate seeing homeless people it makes me feel so sad. But my mom was like, well instead of there beggin around, couldnt they go up and look for a job? even a simple job like working in a fast food restaurant of a conveniant store. Also, there are shelters provided for homeless people. well here in Canada there are. Adn they are given clothes and food as well, so i dont see why they cant go out and try to earn some money. Yeah....

Awww, i hate seeing homeless people it makes me feel so sad. But my mom was like, well instead of there beggin around, couldnt they go up and look for a job? even a simple job like working in a fast food restaurant of a conveniant store. Also, there are shelters provided for homeless people. well here in Canada there are. Adn they are given clothes and food as well, so i dont see why they cant go out and try to earn some money. Yeah....

well they only support you for a little while then you are on your own. and people never hire homeless people. homeless people have a hard time being aloud in places