Siblings?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. In my opinion, I...

• Don't like my siblings
    • Like having my siblings
    • Am fine without any siblings
    • Want siblings
    • Do not want siblings

Having two younger siblings gave me many responsibilities growing up. We have a single mother who works often, so I grew up taking care of them - I knew how to change a diaper as soon as my brother was born, at age five. In that respect, I'm glad that they were around because I know how to take care of a family at seventeen. The responsibilities reflect in my academic performance and my everyday relationships - I don't make the stupid mistakes that most teenagers do because my lifestyle growing up forced me to contemplate how much my actions effect those around me.

However, I don't feel much affection for my siblings - I actually resent them quite a bit. In a way, they stole my care-free childhood from me. I never had many friends - three, tops - and was literally suicidal for a while because of stresses that a child shouldn't deal with. (Of course, many came from the things that I went through outside of taking care of them, but that didn't help.) Sure, they're my brother and sister - well, half-brother and half-sister - but I can't bring myself to feel much motherly or even sisterly love for them. The resentments are misguided, I know, because it's my mom's fault for putting the burdens on me and mine for accepting them, but I can't help it.

For those normally functioning households though, I feel that siblings are definitely beneficial to any individual. They can support or challenge you when you need it, respectively. I'd also imagine that they help you with social skills and a general understanding of the world around you. Maybe I have a romanticized view of it all because of how I was brought up, but I'd imagine that those relationships would definitely be good for you in the end. Sharing, interaction, responsibility, emotional support, and even rivalry are all very healthy aspects of relationships that most siblings share.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have one younger brother. But he's not extremely young; him and I are 15 months apart, so you can say that we are pretty close in age. Growing up, he's been a pain and even right now he has. But when thinking about it, I don't know what I would do without my brother. Him and I have scars from each other tormenting one another with G-d knows what, but we still love each other and there's still times that he would stick up for me and vice versa.

But sometimes I do wish I had a sister too. I think that it would have been pretty cool to have a sister to share a lot with. I mean I have a friend of mine who's 25 and her little sister is 20 and they get along like two peas in a pod. So I want a sister because of that.

Another thing, the farther in years you are with your sibling, the better it is. The more they either look up to you as a role model or you two would get along. The closer... the harder since you want the same affection and attention as the other at the same time. ;D Just a cool little thing to know if you guys didn't. Ahaha. But most likely you all did! :whistle:

I have a brother, and a sister. When my brother and I were growing up, we were extremely close. We wouldn't do anything without the other one. But I guess as we grow up, we drifted apart. He got his friends, and I got mine. Sometimes I wonder what my life would be like without him. We get along Ok nowdays, I guess. I don't hate him, but I do hate some of his behavior. Like he expects everything from my parents without doing anything in return. He also gets angry if he gets a no from them, and I swear he has angry problems :/. But I wouldn't know what to do without him. He's usually there for me, and tries to help me with my problems. Plus, we play MMORPG games together, and some other stuff :D.

Let's see...about my sister. I love her to death. She's nice to me, and doesn't really say anything. We watch movies together, and play video games together as well. We also go swimming, and other stuff. She's caring, and sweet! I don't know what to say because I'm 7 years older than her. XD I love them both.

I have a sister (four years younger). We used to fight a lot when we were kids, but now that we're (supposed to be) adults we get along great. Life definitely wouldn't be the same without her, she is my best friend now :yes:

• 3 weeks later...

I have one older brother. He's alright. He's nice to me, so I guess that's good, eh? But for like 7 years, it was as though he was non-existent. I didn't see him too often from 2002-2010...but since I've moved to his place since the end of May, we haven't really argued or anything of that sort. Sure, we make fun of one and the other, but that's just all fun stuff. Nothing too serious where it sours the environment. So yeah. I have a good older brother, probably worth envying for. xP

But as kids, we didn't get along too well, to be completely honest. We didn't begin to get along until I got to junior high, which was like 2-3 years before he moved out. We're completely opposites in numerous ways, which clashed a lot when we were younger. It's a lot better now, though. I still think him as a dork, but he's my brother after all and I have so overtaken his laptop. xP Hehe.

I have one younger brother, by two years. He's annoying, hyper-active, and NEVER knows the right time to say or do something. I fear for him next year coming into a ghetto school like mine... he tends to have some social issues (making fun of other people then when someone ((ME)) makes fun of him back he runs back to mommy and daddy crying).

But he is a good guy, and I love him anyways. My friends dont much care for him, so when I tell them I'm hanging with him, I tend to get some crap (which is always what I get from my friends, but thats a totally different story.

So yeah, I couldn't imagine my life without him. :yes:

I have 5 older brothers! Making me the youngest AND the only girl 0:)

I love all of them though and wouldn't trade any of them for anything, even just one sister.

We all have "M" names too (Mark, Mike, Mitch, Max, Matt, and Megan [me]), it was always great when my dad would call us down for dinner and have to rattle all the names off, he got pretty good at it though and it started to sound like it was all one name just strung together.

I.. Always wanted an older sibling, or any sibling in general.

Growing up without anyone besides my parents has had lonely feeling to it.

My friends all tell me how great it must be to not have siblings, but i honestly wish i had at least one :mellow: .

I have one younger sister, and most of the time she's great, but sometimes she's really annoying, and I honestly believe that she thinks she is the most important person in the world and knows everything half the time. but I would hate not to have a sister; it seems like it'd be pretty lonely.

Both my siblings are several years older than I am, and I was never in the same school at the same time as either (they were, being less than 2 years apart). As a result, we weren't the friendly type siblings, but were weren't enemies either, just typical sibling squabbles.

I do recall once my dad saying to me at a young age (after a fight with one of my siblings) that he once felt resentment toward his sister, but that goes away as you get older and more mature and you do become more friendly and appreciative of one another. I pretty much called crap on that.

...But you know what? He was totally right. While my bro and sis are closer to each other than I am to either (mostly due to the age gap), we still support each other. I guess getting older works because you no longer have to fight over sharing things, including your parents' attention and affection. Since you can look after yourself, you no longer need the adults to do it for you.

So while I think siblings are a good thing, too many I feel is a bad thing. Like those families with a dozen kids or more. There's only so much time in a day, and every child needs to have that special attention with at least one parent from time to time. You can't really do that with so many kids, and I fear they suffer from the lack of it.

I have two brothers and a sister, and while I get along great with my brothers, my relationship with my sister is quite strained. Actually, we went a while without speaking and I'd still rather not have her in my life.

I've seen very little change in her over the years and I do not believe I'll ever be capable of forgiving her for all the nonsense she has pulled.

I love my brother although I have not always felt this way. I think that in general it is always a good idea for there to me more than 1 kid in a family. not only will they always have a playmate but it teaches them to get along with others and makes adjusting to school easier as they know how to play semi-nicely with others.

• 1 month later...

I have 4 brothers and 4 sisters. Growing up we didn't get along at all, my being one of the youngest. For a few years after I graduated high school we all seemed to be best friends and recently that's all changed again. I think in the end I'd have preferred to be an only child :laughingsmiley: Or maybe just 1 older sister.

This topic has been edited by a member of staff (Stephé) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please do not post on an old topic that has been inactive for over 21 days.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

Per the reason above, this topic has been LOCKED. Please contact Stephé if you have any questions regarding this action.