Guide to making a screen shot

colors30

Here's a good guide to making screens shots that my friend made...

How to take a "snapshot" or "screen shot" by revvinon

To take a snapshot of your computer screen you need to bring up the image you want to capture on your computer monitor/screen.

Say I want a picture of this post I am doing right now. I will push the Print Screen (prt scr) button on my keyboard usually located near the number keypad near the backspace key.

eu4x03.jpg

common keyboard configuration

When you push this button it captures what is on the screen and places it into memory. Now to be able to use that “snapshot”……

Open up Paint or any other image software and click Edit and Paste. Now you should have that image you captured on your Paint canvas……

6gx8no.jpg

snapshot or screen shot image

Because there is a lot of extra stuff with the actual image I want to capture I will do some editing of the image. You can edit the image by narrowing in on the exact image you want by clicking onto the image and pulling the image to the upper left of the Paint canvas. Now you may have some white area to the right and bottom of the image. Click on the select tool and then find the little blue handles in the center right side of the canvas and pull it in to the part of the image you want to use. Do the same for the bottom part of the image. Now you can add words, other images or whatever to your screenshot. Save your image. I usually save my images as .jpg or as a .gif

2uqnarn.jpg

editing and cropping

2uqnarn.jpg

finished image - (sorry I forgot to save my original so I had to do another "snapshot" so it is different from the beginning photo)

I also use Irfanview www.irfanview.com when I am creating my images. You can copy and paste your image from the Paint program and resize your image to better fit the forum. After you Paste your image into Irfanview click Image>Resize/Resample this will bring up the resize dialog box. Make sure you have the Preserve Aspect Ratio box checked then it will resize without distorting your picture. You can then save your image from Irfanview also.

Ohh thanks. I knew most of that but I haven't heard of ifranview, it sounds super useful :D

I've never used irfanview myself, its just something my friend put in the guide, but I checked it out, it looks pretty cool.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This could be helpful for me in the future, but my keyboard doesn't have the print screen button :(

Hey Viper, check your computer around the area shown above, and look for it. It might be in a blue colour meaning you would have to use the FN key too. ie FN + PrintScreen Key.

If you are still unable to find it, most of the time its the F13 key. Try typing CTRL + SHIFT F13

Hope it works, if the problem still persists just let me know :D

Either here in this thread or via PM :D

NOTE: There are plenty of software out there that have HotKey Screen Capture, this helps because of the many functions the software have. My most favourite being that you can take as many screen shots, and it will save them as an image, JPG, in a file of choice. So you can take multiple screenshots quick, which would help when creating guides. :D (Cropping of the images can obviously be done late ;))

Cheers

GyniE

This topic has been edited by a member of staff (Anime) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Do not post on topics that have been inactive for more than three weeks.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

Per the reason above, this topic has been LOCKED. Please contact Anime if you have any questions regarding this action.