Computer restarts instead of shutting down?

dealrocker

Today I have noticed something weird about my Windows XP-based desktop computer. When I choose the shut down option, it goes through and seems doing correctly. But it restarts instead of shutting down. It works like I choose restart option.

Please help me to fix this problem.

Are you shutting down by clicking the "shut down" option in the start menu, or by pressing the power button on the case?

You might have "automatically restart" selected and not know it. Or there could be a stop error message that is going on.

Windows XP may experience a problem during startup that causes a Stop error message. Depending on the system configuration, the Stop error message may appear too briefly to record the error information. To gather important information about the Stop error message and to verify the cause, follow these steps:

1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.

2. On the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery.

3. Clear the Automatically restart check box under System failure, and then click OK. The error message should remain on the screen so that you can record the error information.