Help?

-Ryan

Ok, so i'm not exactly sure what to do about something...

My friend has kind of a messed up home(I've seen it and he complains about it ALOT), not beatings or anything like that but his mom is mean, yells alot, and is unfair (his 18 year old brother spilled soda on their carpet once and he was blamed for not cleaning it for him immediatley) and he says that he loves my house and my family and that he wants to trade families for a while(He was kidding the first few times but not really anymore o.o) and his mom inherited a house recently and they're moving up there and she kinda wants a break from him and since he loves it so much here so she asked us to have him stay at my house for about 2 weeks while she moves up to the new house with his brother while he finishes the semester down here. We want to but at the same time he's kinda destructive, purverted, creepy at times, and loud. Plus my parents think that it would be kinda mean to have him come here to our house for a little while then be sent back to a mean and yelling mom and unfair punishments. But at the same time, him having to be there at all kinda sucks. Plus the place they're moving to is in a small town with 1 neighbor, a restaurant, and a store. He says he hates the idea of having to go there at all. So i'm just wondering what we should do about this. -Poke- What do the TDNers think?

Hmm... That's a tough situation. Did your friend's mom actually ask your parents if he could stay at your house? That seems kind of odd.

It's really nice that your parents are agreeing to let your friend stay for that long, and that they are considering letting him stay longer. When I was in high school, I had a friend whose mom wasn't very nice to her, so I know how unpleasant that can be. I can understand, totally, why you wouldn't want your friend to have to go back to living with his mom after staying at your house.

But, it sounds like your friend has some pretty annoying personality traits, so I can understand that you might not want him living with you permanently. That wouldn't really be fair to you or your family if he's being disrespectful to your family. However, he must understand that your family has rules, and if he can't follow them, then he can't live there.

The thing I would be most concerned about is that, if he does move in with your family, what happens in the future when you get sick of living with him? Don't think that it won't happen; living with friends changes things a LOT, and can quickly ruin friendships entirely. Problems do tend to snowball out of control, and the next thing you know, you can't stand the sight of the person, but they're still living in your house. And, it's hard to ask them to leave, since they don't really have any place else to go. I'm speaking from experience here. I don't know how old you and your friend are. Is going away to college something that is in the near future?