Hey Neopets: Too Many Petpet Park Adverts?

Superfly

Petpet Park Advertisements  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Has Neopets over promoted Petpet Park?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • I am unsure?
  2. 2. Do you agree with these promotions on Neopets.com?

• Yea, they're justified.
    • No.
    • I am undecided.

How do you block this? Anyone find a way to do it in Stylish or something?

There is no stylish way to block it. Unfortunately it's that or the black.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I logged on today I saw and said 'Eh, thats differnt' then went right to stocks. Im sure it will be gone with in the next few days. I feel they are tring to genarate hits to the site to bring in more advertisments on PPP and if that works it will bring in more money so I say just ignore it and hope that some of the profits from PPPs futre adverts go to Neopets.

I do have one question though. Is Petpet Park run by separate staff or is Neopets using their own resources to generate Petpet Park content while letting Neopets slip away slowly and slowly?

If there hadn't been a post about it on here I would never have known about it since I use AdBlock. And I don't use a freakishly huge screen resolution, so there's not a lot of black. And I'm rarely ever on the front page. So it doesn't really affect me so I don't have the right to complain. I do think they're going too far with this though.

I do have one question though. Is Petpet Park run by separate staff or is Neopets using their own resources to generate Petpet Park content while letting Neopets slip away slowly and slowly?

It IS run by TNT. In fact, I'm pretty sure Snarkie is in charge of the entire project.

It IS run by TNT. In fact, I'm pretty sure Snarkie is in charge of the entire project.

Snarkie did a very nice job on Key Quest, I'd love to see that become more hyped up than this.

actually, i have firefox, so i don't get any advertisements anywhere, because i have adblock plus as an add-on. So i never see any of these adverts, when i changed from firefox to the I.E tab in firefox, i realized it has a lot of advertisements, but cause of flashblock and adblock plus, i never get pestered by any of them :3

Hi, someone pointed this post out to me, and I thought it had some rather interesting points to it. :P

First off, let me say that I don't really think the advertising is overboard. Sure, it's a lot, but it's only Petpet Park. Just think if there was a giant Spongebob on the front page background. ;) It's just another Neopets site feature (I argue this below), and no different than if they decided to plug Key Quest on the front page.

I know, right? And Petpet Park basically has NOTHING to do with Neopets except for the fact they are owned by the same company. They just need to get users to it and they are way over doing it.

I don't really see how Petpet Park has nothing to do with Neopets? It has petpets, a purely Neopets concept (and intellectual property I'm sure). It features items from Neopia. It features actual petpets as NPCs from Neopets, not just the PPark exclusive ones (like Hifflos, Dipnis, etc.). It was featured in a plot of Neopets... and as we all remember, it used to feature Neopets themselves. Not to mention, TNT runs it. So, with that said, it's as much related to Neopets as the multiple video games they've produced.

Amen! The thing is, Neopets is NOT promoting a new feature to its site, because it has literally nothing to do with Neopets beside the petpet part, but how do the the 2 interact? They don't.

So by this logic, then were you against TNT promoting the Puzzle Adventure, Darkest Faerie, and Wand of Wishing video games? Petpet Park is just like a Neopets video game, except you play it online instead of on a Playstation or Wii.

The quote above states that Petpet Park is self-contained and outside currency, such as Neopoints, would not be used. However, Neocash (which originated on the Neopets Site) is used in Petpet Park, which basically contradicts the quote. I will also mention the fact that there "Neo" isn't even in Petpet Park. It is all about the Petpets.

This I just see as a form of convenience. For those who already have a Neopets account, you can easily transfer your NC over that you might already have. Would you really want them to have a 4th currency for you to manage? :P It sounds like you don't play Petpet Park, so it wouldn't be an issue for you, but there are plenty of people that play on both sites, and I'm sure they appreciate the NC crossover.

They have as much right to advertise it on the site as they do to advertise any of the other properties Viacom owns. Advertising is what pays for the majority of Neopets, as there are not nearly enough premium subscribers to handle it alone. From that standpoint, they are within their rights to advertise it.

If it "fair" that they hype an ancillary site into the ground more than they ever promoted any of their on-site activities? That they sink that much effort into what is essentially a precursor to a paid game experience, while letting the quality of the Neopets site lag and flounder? The Dollar is the new head of Neopets and those who have been members since the early days can see and mourn the difference.

I like your first part. Advertising makes the Internet go round, and quite frankly without it, we wouldn't have what we have today. Like it or not, it's either advertising or pay-to-play/subscription models. I've found that many folks online are rather harshly against subscription models (Refusing to pay for entertainment online is like refusing to buy a movie ticket at the theater, which is just as much a form of entertainment as a game online... but that's another argument. :P), so advertising is where it's at.

Lion, I think the Disney example is a little different because they are promoting one of their own products or movies. This is hardly the first website to use a full background as advertisement, but it's questionable in our eyes because obviously Petpet Park isn't paying for the advertisement, they are getting it free and Petpet Park is barely related to Neopets so Neo might claim they are advertising for one of their own features, but honestly, they are separate websites on separate domains with separate characters and ways of doing things.

It's probably true that they aren't paying... but for every person that decides to play from the ad on Neopets has a chance of using NC in it, and that money goes right back to TNT. So it's like an extended form of payment if you can think of it like that. But regardless of that, I still stand that Petpet Park is apart of Neopets, so it's exactly like the Disney model. :P

Still, Neopets, Nick, PPP and MTV are all owned by Viacom. Everybody knows that. (well, most) So technically, Viacom, the current owners of Neopets, are advertising their own product. It's like Nick putting Neopets all over their front page, in a way.

BUT, like you said, Viacom were still very wrong putting an ad like this all over another website. Totally different domain, way of doing things, etc etc.

I like your first statement! :D But I don't see how they're wrong. They advertise Neopets on Nick.com, so why can't they advertise another branch of their online property on Neopets?

Remember Neostudios? ;) They probably dropped that name since it got bad publicity, but yes, TNT is divided into little branches to produce and work on the various online worlds they promised. Petpet Park is just the first one. Though the team that runs Neopets.com is completely separate from that of the Petpet Park team. Each game has their own developers.

So in summary, I don't really see what the mass amount of anger is about. It's just another advertisement, and it's a good advertisement. It benefits Neopets in the end, because they're the same people that are developing Petpet Park. It's obvious that Viacom wants to grow the Neopets group... and in any company, if a branch fails to contribute to and grow the company, it's likely to be at the bottom of the heap when it comes to budgeting. We don't want Neopets going down even lower, do we?

First off, let me say that I don't really think the advertising is overboard. Sure, it's a lot, but it's only Petpet Park. Just think if there was a giant Spongebob on the front page background. ;) It's just another Neopets site feature (I argue this below), and no different than if they decided to plug Key Quest on the front page.

Spongebob would be kind of funny, can you picture the screen shot of that one! :D We're going to need someone to photoshop that just for kicks.

So by this logic, then were you against TNT promoting the Puzzle Adventure, Darkest Faerie, and Wand of Wishing video games? Petpet Park is just like a Neopets video game, except you play it online instead of on a Playstation or Wii.

I don't have an issue with ads, I believe they keep websites running. I just think they are kind of going a little over board, like you said "it's a lot," with the Petpet Park ones, particularly the huge image in the background and I'm apparently not alone. It's something they haven't done before and came to a shock to a lot of users this morning. When I went to the website I was confused for a second if I accidentally went to Petpet Park or Neopets.

This I just see as a form of convenience. For those who already have a Neopets account, you can easily transfer your NC over that you might already have. Would you really want them to have a 4th currency for you to manage? :P It sounds like you don't play Petpet Park, so it wouldn't be an issue for you, but there are plenty of people that play on both sites, and I'm sure they appreciate the NC crossover.

It should still only be 2 forms of currency - NeoPoints and NeoCash. Not 3, and definitely not 4. IMO.

Remember Neostudios? ;) They probably dropped that name since it got bad publicity, but yes, TNT is divided into little branches to produce and work on the various online worlds they promised. Petpet Park is just the first one. Though the team that runs Neopets.com is completely separate from that of the Petpet Park team. Each game has their own developers.

But, did they hire brand new staff members for this branch or take people from existing locations? Sure they need a few existing employees, but then were those employee's replaced on the Neopets side? Either way, I am willing to bet Neopets lost some resources and when this keeps happening over and over again it will definitely begin to show and some would argue it already has. We definitely already know Snarkie was involved and she claims to have had a list a mile long since the layout swap in 2006, and I'm sure with her added responsibilities, she's stretched beyond belief.

We don't want Neopets going down even lower, do we?

Nope. :sad01_anim:

I actually got this thing... Wish I knew where it was or how to do it again. But it completely removed the ad from neopets... Like where the ad bar usually is and that white bar. Because I was complaining about that white bar someone showed me a petpage...

This might be why I don't see it at all.

I guess all have been said by now, I didn't mind the adds by themself but this does seems going slightly too far. I was already seeing it everyday when I was logging on and when playing games so that's seem rather useless. I don't know if any are like me but sometimes the more you're pushing a thing onto me the more I wanna back away from it.

I did try ppp in the first or so time it got out, liked it at first cause I was missing the "do quest rpg thing" that you don't get in neo unless it's plot time. But once that was done I mean what was the point of playing... Tried all the games some were fun but mostly slow and buggy, got crash like every 10 mins too. After a while of watching the news I figure they were more eager to get little clothes out for your petpet rather then content that would give you a goal to go for and figure it's a game for kids that wanna play dolly :) I'm fine with that, tried it, wasn't for me...don't have to insist now XP

I think neo players that wanted to try did long time ago... this wasn't necessary.

I started playing Petpetpark with my daughter, she is special needs and I felt the site was just perfect for her.

Content and all that. My dislikes are the points ratio for the games. But you can play as much as you want with no limit. The prices for the items you can dress your pets are off the chart to high. Dont get me started on the NC petpetpark mall. I dont have the real money to spend on neopets. I no I am not going to buy any nc petpet mall items. Petpetpark has its pros and cons. If it wasnt for my daughter liking the site so much I wouldnt play it.

I started with Neopets, then Webkinz, now petpetpark, and tried Free Realm. LOL that was a joke took me 3 hours to figure out how to move lol. Havent played it since. I have to agree, that neopets are way to pushy with petpetpark promotes .

This is my first post, I hope I did it right. :D :woot:

I have nothing against neopets promoting petpet park; it is their site and branch of their programs after all... But I AM getting a little sick of hearing about it TOO often. I've tried it and I haven't really liked it. I hope they take down the huge promotion page soon, since I didn't mind the little promotion sections at all...

I have to say that I am very proud of the members on this forum because I have seen discussions like this turn into a screaming match between users but this has not happened here. :thumbsup: But back on the topic of the PPP adverts I have to agree with what many people say and that is that neopets is overadvertising PPP way too much but I understand why they are doing it but in no way do I agree with it.

I agree that they have promoted it on Neopets a bit too much, but I guess it's okay.

Afterall, petpet's are linked with neopets, right?

A huge layout of it is probably over-doing it though. But that's only my opinion.

I think PetPet Park is over rated, but as for other promotions, does that mean for like the planet 51 thing where you go to get prizes everyday? Because I don't have a problem with those ones. Just the PetPet Park one.

Something I really don't understand:

Petpets sponsored on petpetpark don't even EXIST on Neopets. <_<

That would include the Hifflo, Dipni, etc.

I could understand putting petpets such as the Warf or the Angelpuss on Petpetpark...that would relate to the main site.

In other words, I would like Petpetpark to -somehow- relate to the main site.

I'm sure that many people enjoy PetPetPark...but it would be nice if it would relate.

I think the only link I can find between NP and Petpet Park is the NP games. At first I thought petpet park can allow our petpet in NP to enter that park and play games there but I was wrong and also when I went in the other time its lagging my com and some areas can't be access as well so I stopped playing it after a few days.. I would definitely love to have the petpets in the park if there is any opportunity..

I think the only link I can find between NP and Petpet Park is the NP games. At first I thought petpet park can allow our petpet in NP to enter that park and play games there but I was wrong and also when I went in the other time its lagging my com and some areas can't be access as well so I stopped playing it after a few days.. I would definitely love to have the petpets in the park if there is any opportunity..

Yeah, my computer lagged horribly in petpet park, too... My computer is new and can handle key quest and other games with no problems, so making my computer laggy is not a good sign. I think it's the main reason why I didn't like it much. Also, there weren't much to do when I tested it out...