off-site, unofficial guild-type organizations

imnotgeorge

So i put in my 2-cents about the difficulties guilds have in keeping their members engaged and interested in the other Guilds - worth it or not worth it thread over at Neopets Debate. This got me to thinking.

The trouble most guilds have with attracting and keeping members is that there's just so many restrictions placed on them in terms of what they can and can't do as a guild. They can't do contests, can't fundraise for prizes, etc... Even the in-site guild board is severely lacking in functionality (unless you're online 8 hours a day, there's really no possible way that you can keep up with the conversation because of the lack of organization).

Also, very often guilds will have a huge number of interesting activities members can take part in, but invariably the participation level for those activities is horrendously low. I attribute this to the fact that guilds have been pretty much banned from motivating members to participate. Prizes are not allowed, even if they're legitimately handed out. The only kinds of prizes allowed are non-valuable prizes, which means that, although a few people are motivated by them, the huge majority of the neopian populace aren't really interested. And let's face it, it doesn't really matter how great your activities are, neopians will always opt for the alternative that results in a higher value for them.

For example, look at the games room. There are a few games that are really fun to play for me (volcano run, e.g.) but they hardly ever get played because the huge majority of neopians will spend all their time playing the 1k-np games to maximize their earnings.

/rant.

Okay, so what I;m getting at is, whether or not off-site player organizations are allowed, and whether or not they're restricted by the same rules that restrict guilds. One example of an off-site community is obviously TDN. What if TDN was to unofficially become a sort of guild (unofficially as in it doesn't exist on the guilds list in neopets) and it then fundraises and runs activities for its members, giving out prizes, etc.

Obviously it would not advertise itself as a guild, but just as a community.

I'm not actually planning to make something like this (at least not in the foreseeable future), but I think it'd be interesting to see whether you can get around TNT's stringent rules by creating your community off-site... even through a simple free-hosted forum.

Thoughts? experiences?

Okay, so what I;m getting at is, whether or not off-site player organizations are allowed, and whether or not they're restricted by the same rules that restrict guilds. One example of an off-site community is obviously TDN. What if TDN was to unofficially become a sort of guild (unofficially as in it doesn't exist on the guilds list in neopets) and it then fundraises and runs activities for its members, giving out prizes, etc.

Obviously it would not advertise itself as a guild, but just as a community.

I'm not actually planning to make something like this (at least not in the foreseeable future), but I think it'd be interesting to see whether you can get around TNT's stringent rules by creating your community off-site... even through a simple free-hosted forum.

Thoughts? experiences?

We previously had a donation account at TDN and we asked people to donate NPs so we could fundraise some holiday activities, and it was frozen by TNT. Brittney was able to get it back by promising we wouldn't be doing such things again, so when TNT say no contests, no prizes, they mean it. If you decide not to follow the rules, even if it's off site, you are putting your account-s in danger.

the word that comes to mind here is.. spoilsports :( i mean seriously whats wrong with pooling money as long as you arent breaking any rules..

thye should make a rule that says that only guilds that have been in existence for 2years or more can do things like that, so they know that theyre serious