Do you quit while playing Keyquest?

Jenny ^_^

I haven't played keyquest with random people in awhile, I stopped doing that because there's so many people that play nasty on there. I've just been playing with neofriends. I played randomly today, and this person used a lot of powerups on me which is alright, it's a game. Then, right as they were about to win they used a rainbow fountain powerup on me when I wasn't even close to winning. So I quit. I can't stand it when people are in the lead and they are still using negative powerups on people. That just seems like a sore winner to me!!

So my question is, do you quit any time on keyquest? If so, what does it take for you to give up your keys and nps? (Btw, today is a double key promotion so I gave up 2 silver keys -_-)

It is against the rules to quit when you aren't winning like that. I understand that they are being mean or whatever but it is all a game. I never quit. I think it is wrong because you aren't the only one loosing items and np when you quit. It is so super annoying when people quit because they aren't winning. I have tried to play like 10 games one day and i think i only got 2 games to send because people keep quitting.

I have quit exactly once on someone. I actually suspected that the other player was cheating. They were completely destroying me at minigames that I do really good at, to the point where it seemed almost impossible that they were actually being played by a human. And they were being a total jerk about winning, using negative powerups on me almost every turn, even though they definitely winning. Most of the time, I don't really care if I lose, since I only play 2-player, 5-key games, and neopoints + silver key is not too bad of a prize.

I haven't played KQ in forever, but the only time I quit is when my computer froze on a mini-game.

To me, it doesn't matter if your opponent keeps using power-ups on you. If you're losing, don't quit. It only sends the message of "I'm a sore loser" to your opponent, and they have every right to be ticked off at you. :/

Im sorry that you view using powerups like that as being mean or unfair as I do it when i can, except of course when Im right about to enter the door. To do other wise is gonna bite you in the rear when something random happens ie gain keys, move spaces..etc. I think the worst thing to do is either skip your turn or quite but i hold no grudge against anyone.

The only time I've ever 'quit' on someone was when my computer froze or when Key Quest just stopped working (because I play with my sister in the same house, so I knwo she didn't quit on me). I stopped playing Key Quest with random people because 99% of the time they'd quit on me.

^_^ Redrum Ynnej)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (^_^ Redrum Ynnej @ Oct 24 2009, 09:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I haven't played keyquest with random people in awhile, I stopped doing that because there's so many people that play nasty on there. I've just been playing with neofriends. I played randomly today, and this person used a lot of powerups on me which is alright, it's a game. Then, right as they were about to win they used a rainbow fountain powerup on me when I wasn't even close to winning. So I quit. I can't stand it when people are in the lead and they are still using negative powerups on people. That just seems like a sore winner to me!!

So my question is, do you quit any time on keyquest? If so, what does it take for you to give up your keys and nps? (Btw, today is a double key promotion so I gave up 2 silver keys -_-)

It sounds to me like you got frustrated throughout the game and you were looking for an excuse to justify quitting on him.

My worst horror story about key quest happened today. The guy was winning throughout much of the game, but through continuous powerups and delaying him (he had all the keys and I still needed 2) we ended up even and I was a turn away from winning.

He promptly quit, leaving me with 30 minutes of wasted time and not even neopoints to show for the effort.

On behalf of KQ players everywhere, I have to say, there's really no reason for you to EVER quit on someone, barring exceptional circumstances (stroke, heart attack, injured relative, etc). It really doesn't matter how cheap you think the other player is playing, or how sore of a winner he is. He's still winning, and you quitting means that he's just wasted his time, all because you're easily frustrated.

EDIT: Also, you might've given up 2 silver keys, but he just lost out on 2 gold keys. At least you had the opportunity to choose whther you want the keys or not. You made his choice for him.

On behalf of KQ players everywhere, I have to say, there's really no reason for you to EVER quit on someone, barring exceptional circumstances (stroke, heart attack, injured relative, etc). It really doesn't matter how cheap you think the other player is playing, or how sore of a winner he is. He's still winning, and you quitting means that he's just wasted his time, all because you're easily frustrated.

EDIT: Also, you might've given up 2 silver keys, but he just lost out on 2 gold keys. At least you had the opportunity to choose whther you want the keys or not. You made his choice for him.

EXACTLY!! omg i get so frustrated when ppl quit like that! its not sore winning, its making sure i dont lose! jeez! oh and bdw when you chance to neomail some sore loser/quitter and asking him not to do that again you might get an arrogant neomail back saying that if i send him another neomail he will report me for harrassment!!! :grrr:

I must say that I have only played Keyquest once and that was with someone I knew. I'm generally rather shy and my computer, which is a laptop, does not like to be used excessively for games. Maybe that's a good thing, because it sounds like there is quite a high chance of not having such a good time playing Keyquest when playing with random people. I might start to play a bit more (I do love items), but with people I know, so that when someone quits, I know that it is either from heart failure or computer failure (hopefully the latter rather than the former...).

I've never quit in the middle of a game. I may not like it when people beat me, but there's always that chance and I'd rather have something to show for my efforts than nothing. People have quit on me a lot though and I agree that skipping your turn to offset a power-up is just as bad. However, playing against my friends, I always feel kind of bad using the negative power-ups, so I lose a lot.

I must say that I have only played Keyquest once and that was with someone I knew. I'm generally rather shy and my computer, which is a laptop, does not like to be used excessively for games. Maybe that's a good thing, because it sounds like there is quite a high chance of not having such a good time playing Keyquest when playing with random people. I might start to play a bit more (I do love items), but with people I know, so that when someone quits, I know that it is either from heart failure or computer failure (hopefully the latter rather than the former...).

I wouldn't say there's a high chance of not having a good time... I find that players are generally pretty good sports. Quitters are the exception, not the rule (it doesn't always feel like that some days but overall there are more decent players than there are quitters).

I figured out pretty quickly that my internet connection is too slow for KQ to work well for me. The mini games consistently crashed my FireFox, and I kept getting booted from the game. Chances are, my fellow players thought I was quitting on them...especially as my lousy connection kept me from doing well to begin with.

I generally would play with random Neopians, and quickly learned to only enter/create 4 player games. My logic was that the more people were playing the better the chances I had of having at least one opponent finish the game with me.

Having said that, getting booted is the only reason I'd leave a game early. Like many have said earlier in this thread, I feel it's rude. And anyway, when you play with 4 players even last place wins SOMETHING.

I have to agree with many others. Quitting because someone is using power ups on you is just being a sore loser. Why shouldn't the person winning try and make sure they hold their advantage? I can't count the number of times I've had all the keys and been right in front of the gate only to have a key swapped on me, making me lose in the end!

Regardless, you get prizes no matter what - so quitting also harms you.

I can't count the number of times I've had all the keys and been right in front of the gate only to have a key swapped on me, making me lose in the end!

Regardless, you get prizes no matter what - so quitting also harms you.

Right! It's a game, and you cannot win first place every single time you play a game.

I find it annoying when people quit. Power-ups are there to be used and its the luck of the draw. The thing is everyone wins nps and items in the end so why quit?? Even if you can't claim all the keys you won in one day they will still be there for you to win prizes. Its just frustrating for people like me who have limited amount of time to spend on neo and an average game does take 20 mins so when people quit half way thru or at the end ive just wasted my entire time on Neo for that day... So please think of the fact that you will still win np and items just dont be soar loosers :) Thanks!

I never quit on purpose, and I use powerups whenever I can. You never know when your opponent might have something up her sleeve to turn the game around.

Don't quit. :/ You're losing out on silver keys, and you're robbing your opponent of her hard-earned gold keys. THAT isn't fair.

I grew sick and tired of people quitting on me or being excessively mean or both... I agree with Redrum. I never use negative power ups if I can help it, and it's quite annoying when someone keeps using negative power up's on me so when I use negative power up on THEM, they quit. I don't use negative power up's unless the other party started it first. So why would she or he be mean to me, and then quit when I do the same? I don't quit (because usually I win anyway... unless they quit), but it really is irritating.

One of these days, I just play with family members or friends. Random games are too tiring. ^_^;;

Here is the way I see it, when I play KQ (The five times I have played it), If someone plays a negative powerup on me, I get frustrated, and proceed to continue playing, because you NEVER know what will happen, one time I had a lint ball played on me and the I was one key away from winning, while the other person had all the keys, the round after next I got a super dung, and the other person was close to the door, I proceeded to block his entrances, and won, because I was patient. Even if I do not win I still end up having fun because how cool is it to get free items just for hanging out playing a board game for 15-30 minutes?

(OT: How frustrating is it when the Mini-games lag and you lose because your watercan doesnt water where it was supposed to?)

It's good to hear so many people weighing in on the subject. I see it from another point of view and I think this is just a subject to agree to disagree on. The heart of the matter here was just like in real life, I don't enjoy playing with people who don't play "nice". It's a mistake for me to feel that way and play randomly against strangers because there are people like the person I played against who will play how they want. Like I said, it's not about winning or losing here, it's the kind of player that I'm playing with. I've been sticking with playing with neofriends and I will continue to do so now. I wanted the extra keys so I played randomly but it's just too infuriating playing against people who decide to play like that. I also got a neomail from them after threatening to report me if they could and calling me a 9 year old. It's just not worth the aggravation.

I think there's a difference between not playing "nice" and playing aggressively. Maybe it's because I tend to be a competitive person, but I don't see anything wrong with playing negative power-ups. They're part of the game, and they're meant to be used. If I'm winning, I'd rather be safe than sorry. Can it be annoying if you're on the receiving end? Of course, but that's just how the game works.

With that said, I've actually only played a few times, and I had a bit of trouble with my computer freezing up. Luckily I ended up able to finish both games, but I would have felt bad had I just suddenly disappeared on them. If I am able to figure out how to play successfully, I'll see all the games through to the end, regardless of my standing, or how the others are using their power-ups.

Hey Jenny,

First off, I want to apologize if you feel that I'm attacking you personally, because I'm not. As far as your actions go, I've seen far worse sportsmanship, so please don't take my arguments as personal attacks.

With that said, I notice that you mentioned how infuriating it was to receive angry neomails calling you a 9-year old and threatening to report you if he/she could... Well, I tend to think that the reason why you're getting this "infuriating neomail" is because the type of behaviour that you displayed (quitting because the other person was playing aggressively) could be misinterpreted as a lack of sportsmanship, which itself is VERY aggravating to have to deal with in a game. It's cool that you've recognized your own preferences and are planning to stick to playing with friends, but I just wanted to offer you the other side of the coin, if you will - how the other player probably felt.

You felt it was unnecessary and mean-spirited to play negative power-ups when the other person is already winning. The other player probably figured it was the wise thing to do (and as a frequent KQ player myself I can tell you about countless stories of players losing their lead because they "played nice" and luck got the better of them) and they, in turn, were aggravated by your apparent lack of sportsmanship and decision to just abort the game because "he wasn't playing nice."

I guess what most of us are arguing is that, although it's true some people play the game in a very aggravating manner, it's never okay to abort the game because you're annoyed, especially when the other player is almost certainly going to win soon. 2 wrongs don't make a right.