Lost cat :(

Vixensykerd

My boyfriend'd little sister lost her cat the other day, she's like the little sister I never had and I really feel for her. So we've been looking for it (naturally!).

They live kinda in the countryside next to a river and some farmers fields. Any advice on where to look? Where to cats normally go when they get lost? Anybody lost a cat and found it again? Also, how long do they tend to stay out for? I've always been a dog person myself so I've got no idea! Any ideas would be helpful :(

Thanks,

Vix xx

It must be the time of year or something. With all of the fields about, there must be a ton of mice right now. I know that I've been finding lots of dead rodents in the yard, so I can imagine that kitty is probably on a hunting trip right now. Also if the cat isn't "fixed," he(?) might be looking for a mate right now.

One of my cats escaped off his leash (I don't like to let my cats run loose) the other night and was gone for four hours. I tried looking for him, but looking for a cat that doesn't want to be found is pretty fruitless most of the time. I've had cats before that like to wander. I used to have a cat named Eddie who would disappear for two or three days at a time. He'd go outside and wouldn't come back in when I called him at night. Then, a few days later, he'd be sitting on the steps. Unfortunately, he went out one day and never came back. :(

Cats will also hide for several days if they are injured. One of my cats went "missing" for a couple days after hurting his leg. I finally found him hiding inside my mom's box spring (he had ripped a hole in the fabric and crawled inside. My sister-in-law's cat poofed for a few days after getting hit by a car, but came home when he felt better.

I wouldn't get too worried just yet. Cats are pretty independent and self-sufficient.

My cat walked away when he was younger all the time, he'd usually return within a week, completely harmless. I don't know why or how, but he doesn't do so anymore these days.

As long as there's no busy road near, the cat should be just fine :)

Update: The cat came back today, and was in a bit of a state. Looks like she's had a run in with a fox or something. Anyway, she's gonna be ok but they might have to remove one of her eyes and maybe an ear... Good thing they had pet insurance and hopefully the cat will have learnt its lesson. Thanks for all the help :) At least now she's safe.

Vix xx

Aw, poor kitty! Once she has the proper care from the vet (and at home too), she'll be just fine. I'm glad to hear that she just has a few small injuries, though. Maybe she should try being a mostly indoor cat.

• 1 month later...

Awww poor little thing!! Hope shes ok now!! (I dressed my cat up for christmas <-- :))

This topic has been edited by a member of staff (Meowy Christmas) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please do not bump an old topic that has been inactive for over 21 days.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

Per the reason above, this topic has been LOCKED. Please contact Meowy Christmas if you have any questions regarding this action.