Unexpected Year Out

Vixensykerd

I just recieved my A-level results (the end of college, for anyone who doesn't know from other countries), and I failed to get the grades I needed to get into university. I still got good grades, with only 11 points off the grade I needed. But... now what? I've decided to take a year out to retake any modules to get my grades up and re-apply for next year, get a job to earn some money, and stuff like that. But I was wondering if anyone had any cool ideas to spend my time doing with my year? Trying to make lemonade out of lemons... I guess...

I would buy some video games, join some more sites, volunteer somewhere. Or you could join this kid I met last year who's dream was to dance around the school in a bannana suit and go disco dancing!

I'm in a similar position this year. After five years of pondering, I had finally convinced myself to follow my dream to become a doctor. I applied to medical school and received an invitation for an interview, but I didn't get accepted this year. :( I plan to reapply for next year, but I feel kind of lost now. I have a research contract that I'm working on right now, but it's only part-time, and it ends in January. I'll also be supply teaching in the winter. But I'm really feeling blah about everything. I'm back to playing the waiting game again.

Unfortunately, I don't really have any big suggestions for you. Maybe spend some time travelling a bit. You don't have to go far; even day trips into the country are fun. Go to some concerts, fairs, and art exhibits. If you're into doing your own art or writing, you now have more time to focus on it. Take a personal interest course or do your own research into a topic of interest. Get a fitness routine going, gym membership, learn yoga, etc. Volunteer somewhere. I'm running out of ideas now...

Honestly what you need to do is ...

- raise your grades if you can

- get experience in the field (ie. if you want to go into finance, work as a teller at a bank) -medical? try volunteering at a hospital/nursing home..

- VOLUNTEER!! you need to be active, if theres an interview process this could be the thing that puts you ahead of the other guy with the same grades as you

- get involved in something you're pationate about, theatre, sports, whatever, it looks good on your resume!!

and just never give up hope. You might try looking into interview prep classes (often offered by guidance councellors at schools) if theres an interview required...

Thanks :) All great ideas. I've signed up for a counselling course (I want to go into mental heath), and I'm planning on doing a sponsored Bungie Jump for the Red Cross :) Any ideas that don't involved spending anymore money though? Volunteering sounds good I just don't know where to start...

Yeah, I raise enough money and the Red Cross send me to jump off a bridge! I don't know how active the Red Cross is in America, but if you go on there events page they've got loads of stuff :P I also was thinking about trekking in the artic, but its a little too expensive :) I just need to do something after that... After all, its only one day! Any money raising ideas?

Wow that sounds awesome. Ive been planning on going bungee jumping (or skydiving..). I dont actually live in America. I live in Canada... Im not sure about the activeness there either. I'll have to check out the site though! :D

Ahhh that's sad to hear. =/ I'm taking my A levels in 2 months and I am completely stressed over it... Especially with most people in my school getting 4 As and above...

Don't give up hope though! Do gain more work experience in the field you want to enter or attend related courses. A diverse portfolio helps too (volunteering is a very good start :)).

Do something you like for a change! If you've always wanted to try out being a DJ, try it! Get attachments if you want to and explore other possibilities :D. For me, I'm looking forward to taking Jap and Spanish classes on top of dance once my A levels are over. And hopefully work on my graphic portfolio XD. So basically do what you want to do but couldn't due to constant mugging for A levels!

I take it your doing your AS's? Don't worry about them :) You've got 2 years to improve and everyone is shaky at the start. The big thing I'd say is don't aim higher than you think you can do. I thought because everybody was getting A's then I could, and I was crushed when I didn't. Realistically though I've done really well :)

I'm pretty sure Canada Red Cross is better than America Red Cross, so thats good :) And if they don't have anything, just try another charity, they all do that kinda thing :)

Alright, I will check it out! :)

I'm planning on going for my Masters (once I complete my Bachelors in business). So I totally understand how stressful needing to get a specific grade can be. Im super stressed over getting a's this year. And in University, an A is definitly not an easy thing to get!! ahhhhh

Most people usually spend their year travelling. I don't mean day trips etc, most people go to other countries alone just to do some soul searching.

It may be scary going to a different country alone, but its the best thing to do. Some people I know didn't take a gap year / didn't use it wisely, went to university and in their 2nd/3rd year decided they might not even do the job they been training for etc.

I've always wanted to do that. You know travel to Europe and go backpacking ... I know a few people who have done that, but some of them don't come back (they loved it so much they moved over there)

I've always wanted to do that. You know travel to Europe and go backpacking ... I know a few people who have done that, but some of them don't come back (they loved it so much they moved over there)

A lot of people I know took a year off, then one year turned into two, then they got a job eventually and still have yet to go back to school. Only one or two of them have a decent job. The others are fairly low-paying and won't get any better unless they get a degree.

If you feel like taking a year off, then do your thing. Personally, I'm a whopping *three* years behind because I decided to place emphasis on working rather than college and I regret it. You have the rest of your life to work, yanno? Why now?

Traveling sounds awesome as long as you have the money :D I would still love to do it.

hmm, ya I suppose. Ive never taken any time off.

I went from highschool to college (age 17). Two yrs college. Got my financial planning diploma.

Straight from that I entered a bachelors of commerce program at University for 4 yrs. Im 21 and going into yr 3 :P

My future plan includes doing my masters which is another 1-2 yrs. So quite frankly I will NOT have the money to go travelling for QUITE some time :( *is depressed*

• 4 months later...

VIDEO GAMES. The perfect timewaster. Get a Wii or Xbox. Here are some suggestions:

Wii suggestions:

Super Smash Bros. Brawl

New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Wii Fit Plus (good for exersise)

Wii Sports Resort

Red Steel 2 (comes out next month)

Mario Kart Wii

Sonic and the Secret Rings

Xbox suggestions:

Left 4 Dead 2

Modern Warfare 2

Burnout Paradise

BioShock

Halo 3 (or Halo 3 ODST)

Gears of War

Batman: Arkham Asylum

This topic has been edited by a member of staff (Stephé) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please do not bump an old topic that has been inactive for over 21 days.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

Per the reason above, this topic has been LOCKED. Please contact Stephé if you have any questions regarding this action.