Ghostly Findings

lordnitemare

Technically this is going to be a Pet Spotlight entry, but I am just testing out the waters so to speak. This is all about my second pet, Falkyrie.

Ghostly Findings - Part 1

"I'm bored. Let's do something fun."

As soon as my big sister said that I knew I was in for trouble. We were sitting around the kitchen table (well, Azi and Jahl were sitting, Magi was swimming in her little pool). Oh, you don't know? My big sister is a Yurble, a Cloud Yurble. Our Master looks upon my big sister with a kind of gracious, and loving benevolence. Why, just last week, my big sister came down with Chickaroo. Our Master spent the better part of 3 hours raising the funds to buy the cure. Master never did that for me. I had to trek all the way to the Healing Springs in order to ask the Water Faerie for a healing job. And even then it was a 'Whole Family Deal'.

Anyway, everything good always happens to Azerael, my big sis. Naturally. Azi was the one who got Faerie Quests, and Coltizan's Prizes, and the coolest Petpet. A Snicklebeast. A Cloud Snicklebeast. Like everything else, I always come second best. I'm only lvl 4, as opposed to Azi's 15, and most often than not I'm the one who misses out with training, as our Master focuses more time and energy to training Azi.

The Master also makes a lot of allowances for my younger brother, Jahlendra. He is a Lutari, and the Master wanted one so badly that the Master stayed up until midnight in order adopt the first new-borns of the year on Lutari Day. Because of this, the Master overlooks the fact that he loves to dress up in Azi's left-over clothes, and to tell the truth, is rather proud of the fact that he's a 'bit of a fruit'. Even the youngest of us, my younger sister Mangenai, a Koi, is looked on with the kind of love that only comes to the youngest of a family. And she's smart. Smarter even than Azi. The Master spends hours combing through all the bookstores in Neopia to try and find books Magi hasn't read yet.

But this isn't about my siblings, this is about me. For crying out loud, I used to be a Shoryu! Then my Master spoke up one day during breakfast (it was just me and Azi at this point, Jahl and Magi hadn't been born yet), in the sort of voice one uses when one has an epiphany, and said, "Shoryu are apparently the most popular pet in Neopia." At this, I was chuffed. Finally! I had one up on my big sis. I was more popular than she! Then my world shattered as my Master continued, "How utterly mundane. And I'm getting sick of red. So I think a change is in order." My Master then grinned brightly as the thought sank in, and I knew from past experience that now nothing would stop the Master from carrying out the idea.

But me? I was terrified. Which method would the Master use to change me? A few days later, the Master began to buy Secret Laboratory Maps. My blood ran cold. Would I join the sad ranks of being just another Labrat? Just a poor Pet who was at the mercy of the depraved whims of the Lab Ray? I could just imagine my Master leading me to the Lab, like some sacrificial lamb, pulling the lever and laughing maniacally, as my body changed and morphed.

My Master must have seen my fear, for that night, Master came into my bedroom, and in an uncharacteristic display of affection, tucked me in and said, while kissing me on my forehead, "Don't worry, Falkyrie. You won't be my Labrat. I'm not getting these Lab Maps for you."

I was relieved, but the question remained, how would I change? Would I still change? I asked my Master this question, and my Master replied, "Hmph, you are not getting out of it that easy. I said you were not going to be Zapped. I never said you were going to stay the same. I have something else in store for you." Then my Master grinned at me and left me to my troubled dreams.

All through the night, I tossed and turned, unable to sleep, a million things fluttering around in my mind like so many Faerie Babaas. At long last, near dawn, I must have fallen asleep, for when I eventually woke, it was noon, and the house was empty. I walked into the kitchen to find this note, 'Falk, Azi and I have gone to get some things. We till be back by dinnertime. Do your chores and be good till we return.'

So I fluttered about our home in Mystery Island, bemoaning the fact that it was quite likely soon I would no longer have wings to fly with. I did my chores and waited, until at last, just as the last of the sun's rays crept over the mountain near our home, the Master and Azi returned. As I looked out the window at the pair, I saw Azi and the Master laughing about something, and once again, I felt left out. But as soon as the Master came in through the door, I forced myself to put a smile on my face. No reason to show the Master how I really felt. After all, things could be a lot worse. The Master might have decided to send me to the pound and got a new Pet to replace me. Then the Master grinned at me again, and I felt my spirits lift, as they always did when the Master was near me.

The Master was carrying a bag, which looked pretty full and heavy. I wondered what was in it, when I saw it move. The Master raised one eyebrow, then looked in the bag and said, "No, not yet. I still have some things to do first before I can let you out."

Then the Master reached in and pulled out a...Morphing Potion. This was how the Master wanted to change me? I was terrified, and yet strangely excited at the same time. The Master then sat down on a chair at the kitchen table and placed the Morphing Potion on the table, after unstopping the cork. Thin wisps of red smoke trailed out of the open neck. Then the Master looked at me and said, "Ultimately this is your choice. The Paintbrush I got for you works for both a Shoryu and what you would tun into if you took the Morphing Potion. While I would like to see you in your new form, if you feel you don't want to change, I shan't push the issue."

I was stunned. The Master was letting me choose whether to change or not? I looked at the Potion. This innocuous thing was my Lord Darigan, my Dr Sloth. I glanced at Azi who was silent and looking intently at me. She noticed my gaze and said quietly, "It's your choice. I cannot make this decision for you."

I clenched my fist, and, after having a furious debate within myself, I decided what I wanted to do. With my eyes closed I reached blindly forward and grabbed the bottle, and before I could chicken out, I put the Potion to my lips and drank.

The pain was incredible. I felt as though fire was coursing through my veins as I collapsed upon the floor, twisting and writhing in agony. I could hear my very bones crack and warp as they succumbed to the Potion's magic and morphed. My wings fell off, and I would have felt quite despondent, if I had not started screaming since my skin was stretching and warping and crackling and...

But even though I was in agony, I realized my head was cradled in the Master's lap, and the Master was stroking my head, and singing the lullaby the Master sang to me when I was first born. I felt the peace I had felt then, that I was accepted, and loved, and in those quiet moments, just before I passed out, I heard the Master say to me the words spoken at my birth, "Welcome to our family, Little One."

A/N: Shew! First part finished. What did Falk turn into? Well, technically if you click on my Neopets Username, you'll see, but where would the fun be in that? <grin>

Still, I began to write this when I began wondering what the various Morphing Potions (and by extension the Transmogrification Potions) would do to a Pet. Because technically you are re-writing the genetic code of the Pet. And yes, Mangeni, being a Koi, used a Morphing Potion to become a Koi.

Well, till next time...

:O This is amazing! You have a great writing style, and the story just flows like it was always meant to be. :yes:

I'm already making random guesses at the story's general plot based on its title. xD

• 5 months later...

Ghostly Findings - Part 2

It was three days before I was well enough to wake up. I had had a terrible fever as my body adjusted to my new metabolism and skin coverings. Through it all, the Master never left my side, speaking comfortably in low tones, letting me sip some cool water through a straw, and occasionally talking to Azi about what to do (getting the Dailies was one thing that could not be passed up on, and in that time frame, Azi gained another 3 levels from Coltizan).

The Master looked at me and said, "Welcome back, Falk. Tomorrow we will go to the Rainbow Pool, but for today, I think it would be best if you got used to your new body. Try walking around until you get used to it." Then the Master kissed me on the forehead, and left my bedroom and I heard Azi say outside, "Are we going to try and find it today?"

The Master replied, "Yes. Today is the last day for all the shopping we need to do. Tomorrow we are going to the Rainbow Pool, so I want everything ready by then. And I also want visit the NC Mall to get the new wallpaper and other things for the new place."

I wondered what the Master meant by that. Getting used to moving around? Surely walking was the same as normal? I heard the Master and Azi close the front door, and I decided now was as good a time than any to get up. So I swung my legs over my bed, stood up, then promptly fell over. What was wrong? I tried to prop myself up by my hands, only to find myself moving...a leg? What the?

I tried moving my neck, only to nearly wrench it out of joint as I realized it was much longer than before. I gradually got used to the weird feeling of planting all fours on the ground then I opened my mouth...and nearly bit my tongue off. As I gingerly moved my tongue around my new teeth, I realized I could see much more of my snout than normal. I shook my head to clear the feeling, only to discover I had long ears. I was relieved to see I still had a tail, albeit a very different one to the solid one was I used to as a Shoryu.

I picked my way over to the mirror, nearly collapsing a few times as I got used to walking on all fours, and peered at my new face. I almost fell over from shock. Only a few days ago I was the one of the most popular pet species in Neopia. Now I was near the very bottom. I was even less popular than Azi. It was confirmed. The Master hated me. That could only be the reason why the Master would turn me into this species of pet. I felt a large hot tear trickle down my cheek. But before I could dwell much more, the Master and Azi returned from shopping. I was sickened to see the Master looking very pleased and as Azi walked past me, I could swear she gave me a smirk.

The Master spoke to me, "Falk, the movers are coming tomorrow. I have bought us a new home. Get ready and pack what you want to take with us."

Move? Away from my friends? I had always been shy, and more often than not would sit at the back of the class when in the Mystery Island Training School. The amount of friends I had I could count on one hand. Although now, technically, I'd have to use all four of my hooves. I asked the Master, "Why are we moving? Where are we moving?"

"Now, now," the Master said, absently, "That is a secret. Although...Azi was the one who suggested the move and the new location..."

I staggered back (not very hard to do, since I was still a bit wobbly), and looked at my big sis, glaring at her satisfied grin. No doubt she had suggested we move to someplace like Faerieland or Brightvale or Altador. What could I do? The fact that we were moving tomorrow, (Tomorrow! How was I going to pack all my things in a night with my new body...I didn't even have hands anymore!), meant that the house was bought and paid for. I knew I had no say in anything. I was the unwanted one. I felt quite depressed. What I was thinking must have shown on my face, because after one look at my expression, the Master said, "Oh, buck up. It's not the end of the world you know. We have a big day tomorrow. And don't worry about your things, I'll be packing those. You sleep in the guest room."

When the Master got that tone of voice, it meant that is was the end of the conversation. So I dutifully turned around, a lot more difficult since I was a lot more horizontal than before and I had more to pivot, and made my way to the guest room. Laying down on the lumpy bed (no-one slept there much after all), I thought about my life and how much it was beginning to fall apart. A new body, a new house and a trip to the Rainbow Pool. Knowing Azi, and her influence, I probably was going to be painted something like Snot or Mutant.

No, I was not looking forward to tomorrow. I began to wish futilely as I lay there, staring out the grimy window to the stars, watching the Virtupets Station orbit past.

I wished tomorrow wouldn't come.

I wished we weren't moving.

I wished that I could have more courage.

But most of all, I wished I had never drunk the Morphing Potion.

A/N: Huh, well, after a few months of lack of inspiration (and the fact that I was being distracted by such things as the Altador Cup and the new Plots and so forth, I have finally finished the second part. Shorter than the first one, but I felt it was a good place to finish. This part is mostly about how Falk is adjusting to his new circumstances, and as a result, is getting quite depressed. So I am now off to write the third part. As of now, I have no idea how many there will be, most likely 4 or 5, depending how I break it up.

Awww @_@. It's a very interesting way of describing the morphing process I'll have to say. I'd always imagined it to be rather painless and more of a magical 'poof' before the pet changes. I can emphatise with Falkyrie, for some of my friends moan to me about similar predicaments.

Anyway, the story is rather 'real' as compared to the usual magical or whimiscal lands authors whisk us away to in their stories, and I think that gives it a very fresh feeling. :) Looking forward to seeing you post more! :D

• 3 months later...

Ghostly Findings - Part 3

The sun slanted through the tattered curtains and shafted across my eyes, promoting me out of my slumber. As soon as my eyes opened, I wanted to close them, but alas, Azi was in the room, no doubt sent in by the Master to wake me up, but the sun did so first.

"Rise and shine!" she chirped.

I muttered something unintelligibly, along the lines of rising, but definitely not shining, which earned a smirk from Azi, while I automatically reached up with my hand to wipe the sleep...and remembered with shock WHAT I was, and only just managed to stop the reach up, and prevent a disaster, as my new, quite sharp right forehoof hovered dangerously near my right eye.

She grinned, "Moving day. The Master wants us ready by 10, to catch the transport ferry to Neopia Central, so we can visit the Rainbow Pool. Then we will be going to our new home immediately."

I asked what the time was, which earned another smirk.

"9:30," was the reply.

As I stared in shock at her, she sauntered out, having given the message. Half an hour? I had half an hour to get ready and say goodbye to my friends. But as I looked in the tiny, grubby mirror in the room, I realized the chances of them recognizing me were slim at best.

With this depressing thought still running through my head, the Master came in and remarked, "Oh, you're ready. That's good. We're leaving now," and left, but not before speaking to the movers (a pair of Grarrls and a Skeith) saying, "Oh, don't worry about that room, when we are gone, put it with the rest of the unwanted stuff and donate it all to the Money Tree or Second-Hand Shoppe."

I staggered out of the bed, and walked outside, and saw two distinct piles. One, which was mainly Azi's stuff, was being dutifully and carefully placed into one of the moving vans (by a Lenny and a Kiko). I could only see a few things that were mine in it, including my only trophy and my Mystery Island Training school graduation certificate.

The other pile, which the movers were dumping the stuff from the guest room, was filled with my stuff...my bed, closet, clothes, wallpapers, floor, everything. I turned to the Master to try and complain, but saw that the Master wasn't paying any attention to me, and was directing the movers loading up the second van. I knew that I had no choice, especially not with the way the Master was looking at my stuff, with the sort of expression showed only when Miley Cyrus came on the radio.

Within half an hour, the last of Azi and the Master's stuff had been packed into the moving vans, and I was instructed to get into the taxivan. After a few minutes of maneuvering, I had managed to settle myself down, with Azi on one side and the Master up front, instructing the taxi driver where to go.

As we pulled out of the driveway, I could see my friends playing in the nearby park. I wanted to call out to them, but was stopped by Azi, who said quietly, "They were told two days ago in school what had happened, as well as the fact that we were leaving today. They have had ample time to come and say goodbye. It just proves that they never cared for you at all, and only tolerated you because you were a Shoryu."

I wanted to yell at her, say that they did care about me, but the facts remained. Never had Azi actually lied to me. I lay my head down, and refused to look out of my window until we were on the boat. I left that part of my life, as dead and old as my old Shoryu body, behind me, never to look back.

Looking back now, it was probably the best thing that could have happened to me, but at the time, I resented everything. I refused to talk to Azi after that, for the entire trip, and only spoke in monotone to the Master when asked what I wanted to eat (since it was an 18 hour trip), and instead holed myself up in the van.

As we passed by the shoreline of Meridel, the Master came back from the Owner's Lounge, and told us that there was one hour to go. So Azi and I got ourselves presentable, and waited, the Master waiting with us. As we stepped off at the Kiko Lake pier, I saw the drivers of the moving vans move off in a southerly direction. What was that way? if they wanted to get to Faerieland (I was still convinced that was where we were going to live), they were going the wrong way.

But that was forgotten as the taxivan pulled out and began the 20 minute trip to Neopia Central, and my ultimate destiny. As we made our way over, I looked out the window, and caught sight of the rainbow that lead to Roo Island. 5 minutes later, Neopia Central came into view, and shortly after that, we were pulling up at the Rainbow Pool.

"You can wander around a bit, Falk," the Master told me, "We have some things we need to do before painting you, just don't get into trouble." With that, Azi and the Master walked off in the direction of the Petpet pool, obviously going to paint Azi a new Petpet or something.

But as I wandered, I came to the edge of the Pool. I sat down (finally getting used to the new joints and maneuverability of my body), and waited as the sun began to set. I was just starting to drift off, when I was startled awake by a voice, close to me saying, "Hello, you must be my next appointment."

I looked up to see the Faerie in charge of the Rainbow Pool (not to be confused with the Rainbow Fountain Faerie), sitting nearby. I said nothing, hoping she'd go away, and leave me until I had no choice but to get painted, but she persisted, "How are you feeling?"

I told her as truthfully as I could, and I think I shocked her a bit with my language, but she recovered valiantly, and said, "Now, it can't be that bad."

I glared at the poor Faerie, and haughtily corrected her assumption, but she shocked me by calmly remarking, "Right now they are painting the Petpet," here she chuckled, "I have never see such...dedication..." she looked at me, "Did you know that they went through all the colour catalogues to find the right combination of Colours and Petpets?"

I shook my head, "For almost 6 months they came, on and off, I was a bit surprised actually. What normally happens, is that owners come, with a random Paintbrush and paint their pets and leave. But then there are the very rare few, who save up to buy the perfect brush for thier pet."

I snorted, but she looked at me, "You were a Shoryu before, weren't you?"

I looked at her with surprise, "Yes, I know, it was one of the reasons I started to take notice of them. The fact that they carefully chose the new Pet you were going to be. They wanted to find the right Pet. When I asked them why they were doing that, your Owner answered, 'Because I believe he was never meant to be a Shoryu.'

"I asked your Owner to clarify, 'He often sighs, and looks out the windows. I can see that he is unhappy. In all the time I have had him, he has never truly flown. And if he were really happy, I know he'd never want to come to earth. At school he is too shy, and I do not believe his so-called 'friends' respect him. If I find the right Pet, the Pet he was meant to be, everything will be better. He can come out of his shell, for I believe he is slowly loosing his sense of self as a Shoryu.'

"So they looked at every catalogue, until they found the right Pet. When they found it, your Owner gave a smile of relief and remarked, 'This. This is the Pet Falkyrie was meant to be. And with this colour, he will be happier.'

"I know a few people, and am great friends with the Auction Genie (you woudn't believe the stories he tells of how Pets and Owners fight it out...one time there was a full on Acara-fight between a Kyrii and an Usul for a Royalgirl Paintbrush), and I found out that your sister and Owner bought the Paintbrush they wanted, then around a week later they went to the Shop Wizard to find the right Morphing Potion."

I sat back, taking in this new information...6 months...they had wanted to change me 6 months ago. But the Master only told me a week ago about the change. The Master had been unhappy with my looks for that long? What I was thinking must have been showing on my face, for the Faerie stood up, and said, "Don't drown yourself in pity. Your Owner loves you. Loves you enough to see that you were unhappy as your old self, unhappy with your friends, unhappy with your life, unhappy...in everything! Loves you enough to save up for 6 months to get the right Morphing Potion, Paintbrush, Petpet and Petpet Paintbrush to give you a new lease on life."

As I was pondering this, the Master and Azi came back, holding onto a covered cage, which I knew held a Petpet, and that this Petpet was for me, not Azi, for Azi's Snicklebeast was calmly walking alongside her.

The Master reached into the bag, which held the Paintbrush, and looked at the Faerie, "Can I throw it in now?"

"Not yet," the Faerie said, "In a little while longer, this Paintbrush is one of the Night-time Brushes, and so needs duskfall and moonlight to work properly."

A few minutes later, Kreludor arose and the Faerie determined it was time. The Master threw the Paintbrush into the Pool and I saw the waters turn a rather murky colour.

"It's still your choice," the Master told me softly, and I looked back at my Master and almost fell over from shock.

Not at what the Master had told me, but from the expression in the Master's eyes, an expression I had never seen. Could it be that the Master felt the same joy I felt whenever I was in the Master's presence, that unconditional joy and love that I knew I would always feel for the Master? Why had I never seen it before?

And as I looked at the Faerie, the answer struck me, like a herd of Chomby.

I had never cared to look for it before.

Truly, my destiny was in this Pool.

I took a deep breath.

And jumped.

A/N: Well, I have finally put up the next part. In this (rather long part - blame the monologue from the Faerie for that), Falk gets a massive reality check in this episode, and I think he's finally starting to get used to the idea of his new body, and has discovered something new he didn't know before.

Emotional data aside, time for the technical stuff. This is my take on what happens at the Rainbow Pool. I first heard of the whole 'throwing the Brush into the Pool' thing from another (very well written) story, and was so taken I decided to use the same concept. In my mind I find this works better than trying to actually PAINT the pet, with this the Pet merely jumps into the Pool, which has become completely infused (like tea!...mmmm...tea...) and gets coloured all over, with little effort. The whole idea that some work better at different times of the day is also an idea I had. For some, like Pink or Faerie, daylight is needed. Rainbow would work best if there was one in the sky. And for ones like the one Falk is painted in, and Halloween and Mutant, darkness or duskfall would be better.

Also, I had to look at the Neopian Map to try and get the right estimates for time traveling and where everything is. It wouldn't do to see Altador on the way, when it is actually on the other side of the world. Also please not that these are estimates, and not to be taken as actual times taken.

So, the big reveal comes next people, you finally get to know what Pet and Colour Falk is. But where are they going to live? Tune in next time and see!

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Stephé) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please do not bump an old topic that has been inactive for over 21 days.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.