Sketch

celticheavens

After lurking around for a while, I've decided that it's time for me to post something up ^^;;.

Here's a quick sketch of Allen from the anime D-Gray Man, with a ton of references -.-. I've not watched the series or read the manga so basically, I had to copy everything XD. This was a gift to my good friend who is CRAZY over the character @_@.

allenwatermarked.png

Sorry for the watermark; I'd experiences of people ripping off my work before so yea -.-;;;;;;. :grrr:

Care to comment on the colouring? It would be nice to learn new techniques for colouring; prefably not too CG-ish. Any tutorials would be nice too. Hopefully the tips can make my WIP (first Neopets related drawing!) better ^^. After which my goal is to make myself a proper forum set -.-.

(not posting my DA here cause it's under revamp LOL o_O )

Constructive criticisms are welcomed!

Edit: Nothing? o_O Or is my work that bad x_x...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! =)

Well, I don't know much about anime and I don't know much

about working in color, so that's why I wasn't posting anything

about it. =( But now I will try my best to give you

constructive criticism. =D

Okey Dokey, I think it looks totally amazing! But the neck looks kind of 2D.

One way to make the neck look more 3D-ish would be to make the white

collar around the neck more 3D-ish. White is tricky, but I know that

to make white more 3D you can't really outline it as much as you did. What

you really need to do is mostly just shade it with different grays. Keep only a little of the outline if

you have to. (Hopefully I'm making sense. xD)

So, that's pretty much all I have to say about it. =) It looks really, really good!

I think you have something going here!

I think it looks really good! The shirt does look a little 2-d-ish.. and a little odd, though im not sure why. Otherwise I really like it! :) I'm not very artistic though, so my appraisal prob. means nothing :P lol

Wow replies! :)

Thanks for the comments ;). I was trying to make the shirt more 3d (I used the burn and dodge tools at different intensities here) but couldn't get much of an effect. -.- Hopefully my upcoming pieces look better! ^_^

@caliama: About the white, it's indeed hard to work with white... One of my DA friends suggested using blue for pictures with a brighter over colour usuage... @_@ Sounds hard but I'll take these into consideration on my upcoming BC piece ;)

Thanks again for the sweet comments and suggestions ^^. :heart:

Ugh I never really know how to critique manga.

But I think the main problem is the shading is very light and not really noticable. It leaves the image looking very flat. Don't be afraid to use darker colours and shade in more places! Here's a tutorial that has helped me a lot! I'm sure It'll help you too!

http://itchstudios.com/psg/art_tut.htm

Wow I totally forgot about this thread XD.

Ah thanks Luciana for the comprehensive tutorial! I'll totally check it out when I finish my homework :) I tend not to shade too generously as it looks odd sometimes and argh @_@ I'm not too confident of my skills haha.