Bad Language/HTML Filter Opinions

NeoOlogy

Bad Language/HTML Filter  

67 members have voted

1. 1. How often does the Bad Language/HTML filter annoy you?

• Every minute
    • Every hour
    • Every day
    • Every month
    • Almost never
  2. 2. What does the filter normally block you for?

• Bad language
    • HTML
    • Something that shouldn't be blocked at all

• 3 weeks later...

I can't even customize my UL, my pet's lookups, or even edit their pages because of the HTML filters which are overprotective. And by looking at your complains about the langage filters, I would say that TNT has gone too far with their filters. What's the point of playing Word Pyramid anymore, or chatting in your guilds if you can't say anything? And I saw people on Neopets saying flat-out swear words before (small ones which are barely even considered cussing), and yet our "safe" language gets blocked! Is this a glitch, or are TNT out of their minds? Unless, of course, the Meepits have brainwashed TNT...

Ugh it just happened again, out of habit i type LMAO instead of lol, and it makes me retype my whole darnmessage! GRARRRRR :(

filters can be a good thing, but REALLY? this is going overboard!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have been filtered for the DUMBEST reasons! Once or twice I had to go in and out of the NM several times because I honestly had no idea what I'd said that was insulting. On the plus side, the experience taught me that the most innocent of words can be interpreted as profane if you have a filthy enough mind!

Sometimes its mistakes anyone with a brain could see- like I once forgot my apostrophe in "he'll"

That is one that I've gotten caught on before. I think one time I got bleeped for the statement "The meepit scared the pants off me!" You'd think the bots could at least learn to look for context, LoL!

Wow...just give me a day or two to rant about this. It is SO annoying! I don't know why, but TNT has got to fix this. Even though there is absolutely no profanity whatsoever, sometimes, I can't even post on the guild messages :/

Sometimes, if i split a message into two, it'll work, but not when I put it together! Why is this? I can't seem to understand =='

The thing it, Linda, that so many words that are normal to use can be considered profane in certain contexts. I once tried to commiserate with a kid, saying that "I know, hon. 6th grade really sucks." I got bleeped because of the word "suck" Once I realized the "problem", I tried to substitute the word "bites" and that got bleeped too. I wound up going with "stinks".

The other one that gets me is that the bot looks for the word "password" but does not look at the context. One person I was trying to help told me she thought her account may have been hacked. I tried to ask if she'd given anyone else her PW... and the %$#@!!! filter yelled at ME for asking another user for their password!

• 2 weeks later...

The bad language/HTML filter annoys me every time I think about it. I can't even update my user lookups anymore because every time someone edits the coding to work around the filter, Neopets changes is again. I've completely given up for the moment. I don't post on the Neopets boards or in guilds so I've never had a problem with the bad language filter there, but I did on my lookup once. I never did figure out what was causing it, there wasn't anything that could be taken as bad language in any context, and it didn't say anything it didn't say before. So I just had to delete the whole thing.

Man, the filter has been getting my goat too.

It doesn't matter: coding, rping, working on my Neoadventure,... it always suspects me of being a foul-mouthed wench.

I had one account frozen because I said things like "the baby kyrii sucked on its thumb" or " *gives Gaara a hug* " etc.

Wow. Just wow. That darned filter has annoyed me to oblivion. I especially hate seeing real potty-mouths blowing their tops.

They can easily get around the filter to spout out bad words. It seems to me the filter is word-blocking everyone but the cussing folks.

I think things would be better if Neopets used an "word-replacement-filter": A bad word is automatically replaced with a synonymous OK word; like if you HELL, it'll be replaced with HECK. I've seen alot of forums using it, and not only it works well, it's even funny!

Or, of course, simply rely on mods to punish those who go against the rules.

I think they would put "heaven" instead of "hell" or something. I got banned for 16 hours when I said "what the heck". :\ But when one of my not so smart friends says "God", "Jesus", "Lord", etc, nothing happens! Isn't that using the name in vain, or anything, or don't they care because those entities are "good" or something? (don't blame me, I'm not religious :P)

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly, the filter bugs me when it blocks the phrase "That sucks". It's just...it's such a mild word. You have to go out of your way to find a problem with the term "suck". Also the word "lurve". I've looked and looked and looked, and I can't find any sort of problem with the word. I may not have looked hard enough, but it seems pretty innocent to me.

I also have a pretty big issue with not being allowed to say, even in PASSING, anything about a wedding or getting married. Not even "Fiance" is safe from scrutiny. I'm not talking about a 6 paragraph description of the ceremony here, just not being allowed to say "Darn, I'm going to miss Sloth Day this year because of a friends wedding" or "My fiance just made his first account and he already got a FFQ! No fair!"

I know it's a family site...but...come on. I doubt very much that any child will be scarred for life by something as mild as the mention of a wedding.

I have gotten blocked many a time trying to post to my Guild. For nothing. A simple emote was what tripped the last alert. I swear... I spent 5 minutes trying to figure out what was wrong with a simple post reporting my dailies and leaving a couple of lupe treats behind me. At the very least they could tell you which portion of your message is 'bad'. I hate having to do eenie meenie miney moe.

• 4 weeks later...

My messages are stopped everyday for nothing at all :grrr: So the filters are very annoying to me,especially when I write a very long neomail that gets stopped for no reason at all,over and over and over.

Whoa, with all these horror stories, I'm glad I don't bother with coding or talking on the forums.

The find and replace (f-bomb and others of that, uh, caliber should freely be blocked out completely, though) is the best option, in my opinion. I understand not being able to have mods er... mod everything, but bots are really unreliable, especially the ones that seem to think the phrase "...as bad as..." is subjecting our children to profanity.

For now, I'll just use notepad or Word on the off chance I'm coding something.