Computer chugging while playing?

Fardreamer

So I went to my friends house, and I noticed it was nearly impossible to play the AC games, it ran so slowly. Her computer was better and newer than mine, so I checked it out, and this is what I found.

Flash takes a HUGE toll on your processor, and on all of the AC games (unless you do the large window on YYB) have the flash game, two flash ads, and a flash header bar. I have a fairly good computer, and this positively chokes my computer up. I noticed especially on SSB, the goalie steadily gets more and more sluggish, until he's laughing in slow motion on the win screen.

The fix? Your browser can help! Switch to Opera! It has no memory leaks and can block specific content.

If your using Internet Explorer: Noooo! IE comes with every computer, so many people use it thinking thats the only way to use the internet. Its not! IE is just the default browser, and because of this, nearly all viruses are written specificly for Internet Explorer!

If your using Firefox: I love firefox. It has been my main browser for ages and ages. It does have a big problem with memory leaks however. If you leave it up, you'll eventually find that it's taking up nearly all of your processing power for no reason. Also, you can't block the flash ads on the neopets pages. You can block -all- flash content, but then the games, maps, and nc mall gets blocked too, which completely defeats the purpose.

If your using Safari: I don't have a Mac, so I have no idea. I actually hear its a good browser, but I have no clue.

Get Opera!: Opera has no memory leakage, some really cool features, and best of all (for AC anyway) specific ad blocking! You right click, hit "Block Content..." and your window changes to allow you to click on which things you want it to block. You click all of the flash ads, and click done, and they'll never bother you again! You just have to do it anytime a new ad is introduced, but neopets only has a handful, so it doesn't take many times. Opera is also the fastest browser available. Get the new 10.0 beta, its awesome. :)

Other ways to make your computer die less on flash games:

Refresh the page every few games. (especially on SSB) The games get overloaded after awhile, and just refreshing the page will get them running smoothly again.

Hit ctrl+alt+del and click the "mem usage" tab to sort whatever is taking up the most memory. Your browser (IE, firefox, Safari, or Opera) will be taking up the most, but you'd be surprised what else could be hogging your performance. Don't go turning off anything you aren't sure of, but you might find that music player, application, whatever, could be majorly slowing you down. Any tabs open with flash ads on them add up, which can make your browser take up more than its share. Use opera and block them!

There could be other ways to block ads, but this way is super easy, and just a better internet experience anyway. Also, slow internet is slow internet, so if your using dial-up there isn't much help for you.

Yeah, at first Mom was like "WHAT DID YOU PUT ON MY COMPUTER?!" But after we explained it, she doesn't use anything else. She even put a pink skin on it! XD

Oh, Far and I are two of three triplets btw. XD Our brother has an account, but he doesn't really play anymore.

Actually, Opera memory leaks LIKE CRAZY, but when you close it and reopen it, it dumps the memory BEAUTIFULLY, unlike Firefox. I monitor my RAM usage constantly, and it takes a few hours of playing games for my memory usage to reach critical (75%), but when I close and reopen Opera, the memory usage drops back down to 20%.

I have found Opera to be wonderful for Neopets. It doesn't get bogged down in games. I can even do reasonably well at playing the KQ minigames with it. The Shockwave games are still broken in Opera, and the 3-D Life plugin (for playing Last Blast) doesn't exist, but the Flash games don't bog down or stutter at all. And no Neopets toolbar for Opera. :( I tried going back to Firefox after I got my account back, just because it was easier for logging in since I was already logged into my side in Opera, but there's some games that just don't work. I'll be switching my main account back to Opera this afternoon.

Mind you, I still LOVE Firefox, and I use it exclusively for everything else I do on the internet, but it's been garbage for Neopets for the last few revisions. Maybe that will get fixed with FF 3.5.

Really? leaky leaky? Oh well. Still, like you said, restarting makes it all nice and fresh. Poor firefox chokes when I get to neopets, and I finally had to listen to my husband and use Opera.

I often defeat the whole purpose of optimization and have both running at once XD. I like to stay logged into my main on Opera and hop on neopets lab and side accounts on firefox while I play. I turn everything off when its serious AC time though.

By the way, you know that you don't have to have a mac to have Safari. My family has a PC (as well as a mac) and we have Safari on both :)

Oh I knew that, but thats like the IE of macs, since it comes on it, so most people don't have it unless they have a mac.

I have a lot of browsers on this PC: Firefox, IE, Safari and Opera. Haven't tried Netscape though.

Personally, I still prefer Firefox. No offense to Opera or anything. ^_^ I just enjoy FF more for many reasons. One of them being the fun add-ons. :P

Guest Krawk Islander
Oh I knew that, but thats like the IE of macs, since it comes on it, so most people don't have it unless they have a mac.

Safari is actually one of the best browsers out there, version 4 is stunning. It just doesn't support add-ons, that's why I haven't switched yet. It IS a ram-hog though.

As for Opera, I don't like it. It's slow at loading pages (for me) and the visual appearance never compelled me.

Firefox is my favorite browser. I'm using Firefox 3.5 Preview and it's amazing. Very fast and not really a ram-hog unless you're playing SSD, but that's a bug from the game, not FF. And you CAN block ads separately. Why has Adblock Plus not been mentioned? If you want something, FF can do it, provided it has add-ons.

And why hasn't Google Chrome been mentioned? It's a fast browser: actually v3 beta is the fastest browser on Earth, on par with Safari. It's lightweight, so I'd go about testing it on Neopets and see how it fares.

IE is a disaster of a browser, I'm super glad they banned it from coming pre-installed in Europe with the future Windows 7. And IE has lost dominance here too, FF is now the most used browser in Europe. At least the EU do something worthwhile.

I kept having CPU issues when I was surfing Neopets with Firefox. I usually had to play the lowest resolution of each game and YYB became a pain playing. I tried IE8 but it wasn't too fine as well. Just played some YYB with Opera and it was like a revelation. Will try Google Chrome and Safari later today to see which browser works best for my system.

But thank you for the heads up, Fardreamer! :)

I have a lot of browsers on this PC: Firefox, IE, Safari and Opera. Haven't tried Netscape though.

Personally, I still prefer Firefox. No offense to Opera or anything. ^_^ I just enjoy FF more for many reasons. One of them being the fun add-ons. :P

I have a lot of browsers too: Safari, Firefox, and Opera. Mine's a Mac though. I just downloaded Opera now and it's great for neopets, but not for other sites, so for that I use Firefox.

I've been using Chrome since it came out and it's doing quite fine with Neopets. At least I haven't had any problems with it.

Yeah, I use FF to surf the web and Chrome for Neo ^_^

I will agree, however, that FF is a memory hog, especially in massive flash games. *COUGHCOUGHpetpetparkCOUGHCOUGH*

I've tried Chrome, IE, Safari and FF on Neo and the latter isn't very good on it. :(

Nor is IE.

The other two are fine... ^o^

Most of the time. :P

I tried Firefox, IE8, Safari, GoogleChrome and Opera for Yooyuball. Opera definitely works best for me as well as the other Neopets-games I tried afterwards. For the rest of my surfing habits Firefox is the "winner" but I decided to switch to Opera when it comes to Neopets. But I have to say that I was pretty surprised by the performance of GoogleChrome :)