RS Question

-Kai-

Hey, I was Restocking at various shops arround neopia but there has been a while that shops haven't reestocket....

My question is: Am I banned to buy in neopian shops? I read that in a guide some time ago but I'm not sure, and How can I know if I'm banned or not?

thanx :D

Kai

The easiest way to know if you're banned is to visit this shop. It's always stocked, except on half-price days it sometimes isn't, so if it has the Sold Out sign, than you're RS banned. If there are items stocked, you aren't banned ;P

You get banned at a random time after refreshing in Neopian Shops. Could take 15 minutes or 15 hours (example times). It goes away after a random amount of time, but I think the maximum time you can be banned at once is 24 hours...

Guest riwu0730

Not only u get ban for refreshing in shops, but if you keep refresh at shop wizard, you can get banned from shop wizard too!

Why would that matter?! I mean if you don't refresh you can't get anything good, there are so many people that try to RS!

It takes quite a bit of refreshing to get RS banned.

For example, I'll use what I do when I'm sick. I will sit and restock for 2-3 hours, refreshing about every 5-10 seconds (while watching TV). I don't get restock banned just from that. (And just that amount of restocking time alone can get me about 60k profit, easily.) I did it for several hours in a row, with only short breaks here and there, and THAT got me RS banned. I've also heard of people who almost constantly refresh, like every couple of seconds, and that got them RS banned much more quickly. I'm not sure what the threshold is for getting RS banned, but it seems to be fairly high, because I do a lot of restocking and rarely get banned.

On a related note, the more I think about the system set up for restock banning, the more I hypothesize it must look at certain thresholds:

If the number of refreshes in an X minute/hour period is over Y, the user is RS banned.

Let's look at possible examples of how this might work, using hypothetical numbers.

Let's look at a threshold to stop a user from refreshing too quickly for very long. Let's say one possible value of X is 15 minutes and Y is 375 (which comes to an average of 25 refreshes a minute, which is a lot!). If a user is constantly refreshing every time the page loads, resulting in an average of 25 or more refreshes over 15 minutes, then the user would be banned.

And now let's look at a threshold to stop a user from restocking for too long a period of time. Let's say this value of X is 8 hours and the value of Y is 3600 refreshes (which comes to an average of one refresh every 8 seconds). Suppose the user refreshes on average every 8 seconds for 8 hours, which is quite a long time, the user would be restock banned.

It's possible that TNT has sets of refresh thresholds that exist which look somewhat like this. From the information I've seen around, this is my best guess as to the type of thresholds they have, but the numbers are only there for examples. I don't want to spend the time to get myself RS banned just to test out their thresholds, but if somebody else wants to try it, go right ahead. I'd be interested in seeing the numbers that came out of the testing.

But in conclusion, once you know that you can be RS banned for restocking for way too long or for refreshing too quickly for too long, you can take steps to mitigate the problem. :)

:( I am going to guess the main reason they do it is that too many queries can overload the servers. That's also why you can't use the SSW a lot. *sigh*

Or it could be this up above ^

:D They don't want server crashes after all because then they would have a lot of angry kids on their butts. lolll