N. Korea - Gone Nuclear

Chipmonker

About 24-ish hours ago, North Korea tested it's first nuclear bomb in an underground nuclear test.

N Korea 'nuclear test' condemned - BBC

U.S. Seeks Sanctions Against N. Korea - FOX

CBS

Japan Times

(Surprise, Surpirse! I really can't find any news reports in support of Korea.)

Basic ideas to dicuss,

What will the future hold?

What should the response of the Western world be? Should someone step in?

Edit: I'll post my thoughts after someone else replies.

Also, an interesting tidbit, down the page...

World Leaders' Reponses

Everyone around N. Korea is scared about them. They have been for a Very long time. We need to step in. People helping us would be Japan, S. Korea, and any other country. I think any country in the area will help. Taiwan, maybe Australia, etc.

I think North Korea just wants to be "prepared" in case something happens. It is against the law to use nuclear weapons. And if North Korea uses one, the U.S. government will detect it and send one back. Everyone would lose so I think they're doing it to scare people and to let them know that they're ready to defend the country.

I think North Korea just wants to be "prepared" in case something happens. It is against the law to use nuclear weapons. And if North Korea uses one, the U.S. government will detect it and send one back. Everyone would lose so I think they're doing it to scare people and to let them know that they're ready to defend the country.

North Korea is is not trying to 'prepare' themselves from something else. They are trying to attack other countries. They are under a dictator anyway.

But it would be dumb to attack a country because then other countries can unite against N. Korea and then it's over.

Yes, but everyone is scared of N. Korea. Anyway, N. Korea has a lot of supplies. They haven't done anything for a while, because they have been gaining supplies and gaining more money.

Right now, (I think) it would be very unwise for any country to take actions against N Korea. Especially since the world is watching Korea, even those who have common grounds with N Korea.

Luckily, N. Korea doesn't seem to have the capability to attach nukes to warheads. Still, there is amazingly high tensions between many countries and I don't think there will be much needed to push it over a cliff.

I don't see a problem. The French tested Nukes in the Pacific near settlements and stuff, spreading radiation and whatnot..why not the North Kimchis?

Mod Edit; offensive language removed.

Sorry to say it, but they're a bunch of nuts. I guarantee they will do one of two thigs once they have nuclear technology: use it to attack somewhere in America, or sell it to other countries who will then just use it to attack America themselves, most likely.

Here is an article I found in a newspaper...

Scare Tactics

In it's pursuit of nuclear weapons, North Korea:

1993: Drops out of the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty.

1994: Agrees to dismantle its weapons program to comply with treaty in exchange for help building two nuclear-power plants.

1998: Fires missle over Japan.

January 2003: Drops out of treaty again.

August 2003: Begind talks with U.S. and others.

February 2005: Suspends talks and declares it possesses nuclear weapons.

Sepmber 2005: Agrees to end building nuclear weapons and allow inspections in exchange for aid and security assurances.

January 2006: Says it won't hold talks unless U.S. lifts financial restrictions imposed due to counterfeiting of U.S. dollars.

July 2006: Tests long-rage missles.

October 9: Claims it sucessfully tested a nuclear weapon.

These guys are evil and mean business. :evil:

What do you expect when it is lead by a stupid dictator with a short fuse.

Exactly the same as Cuba. North Korea is scared of their dictator....They have been getting less and less money everyday.

Guest Астр&#10

It is closed off to the outside world, they only get about 20 billion dollars a year. Which pales in camparison to other countries with Nuclear capabillities.

More Interesting Reads (Can't you just tell that I like the BBC?)

China's Relation to North Korea

~Looks like the US is not the only one with illegal immgrants

UN debates action over N Korea

~Extra note: Look at the picture in South Korea * They took it off :(

Now off to my other happy totally different wavelength! In response to this...

Help us! Save our lives! N. Korea's gonna bomb us!

It is not the US that needs to be directly worried of Nukes, but the countries in eastern asia. None of the countries in that region are on good terms with each other.

However, the US is involved too. (Besides the fact that both DPRK and the US hate each other)

[history] Japan was stripped of its military power by the US after WWII. However, in the treaty with Japan, the US declared it must help provide a significant portion of Japan's defensive capability. Any armed attack against Japan is an attack against the US and vise versa.[/history]

Therefore if any action is taken against Japan, the US will have to intervene.

This holds also true for South Korea too

[fact]There are currently about 24.000 US troops on the South Korean border. [/fact]

any attack on S Korea *could* be used as a reason to fight the N Koreans.

Guest Астр&#10

It is estimated that a properly built Taepodong-2 long range missile can go about 10,000 miles. Whether it can be fitted to be Nuclear has yet to be determined.