Do you play RPGs?

Masaryk

Role-Playing Games  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Do you play role-playing games?

• I like to play pencil-and-paper RPGs!
    • I like to play video game RPGs!
    • I play both kinds of RPGs!
    • I like to LARP (Live Action Role Play)!
    • No way! RPGs are for nerds!

This past week, the co-creator of Dungeons & Dragons (D&D), Dave Arneson, passed away after a long battle with cancer. Although it is usually Gary Gygax (RIP) that gets the credit for "inventing" the role-playing game, with his original Chainmail game system, it was Dave that was responsible for changing it from a war game to the one-character-per-player system that is widely used today.

For those who don't know who Dave Arneson was and what he has done for gaming today, I borrowed the following quote from Rich Burlew of Giant in the Playground:

By most accounts, he literally invented the very concept of role-playing games. While he would share official credit for the original Dungeons & Dragons rules with the late Mr. Gygax, Mr. Arneson was the first to take the Chainmail wargaming rules and run a game where players controlled a single character, rather than an army, and described that character's actions to a judge who would determine how the environment reacted to them. Pretty much every roleplaying game (and many computer games) can trace their lineage to this single idea. He also invented the first campaign world, Blackmoor, which is hardly surprising considering he invented the concept of campaign worlds in the first place. It is impossible for me to overstate the impact his games had on what would become our mutual hobby.

What impact has Dave had on your life?

For me, I've been playing Dungeons & Dragons since 1991. I also enjoy playing other pencil-and-paper games, such as Shadowrun and Call of Cthulhu. I still game almost every week. I play with my husband, who I met at a D&D game, and a few friends. I started gamemastering in 1999, and I love getting to develop worlds and the interesting characters and creatures that inhabit them. My user name comes from one of my longest-running characters. I can't imagine what my life would be like without this hobby.

I also like to run and play in games in online forums dedicated to gaming.

I used to enjoy playing video game RPGs, as well. I got my start with Final Fantasy (yes, the first one) on the NES, back in the early 90s, and continued playing various VG RPGs for more than a decade. But, as game graphics became increasingly more 3-D, I found that plots and characters seemed to be getting more and more 2-dimensional, so I stopped buying RPG video games a few years ago. No offence to those of you that like playing VG RPGs; I just feel that the genre has given me all it has to offer.

I think I was saying something about my love for RPGs earlier today in another topic.. Well anyway I started out by playing the Dragon Warrior series on NES when I was like, 5 or something. That's how I was introduced into the lovely world of RPGs! It wasn't until high school when I started watching my dude friends play D&D but I am, and always have been, an avid player of video game RPGs.

:D I still have the original FF (the American one) in the box with the maps, I just love it! I really hated one of the FF games for the DS.. I can't remember what it was. You played this little twin boy and girl and I hated that game!!

I play Video Game RPG's, like Final Fantasy and World of Warcraft. I also play Flyff, and a couple of others too.

And, I play text RPG's on Gaia and other sites...

I would LOVE to play RPG, but the only problem is that I don't know anyone around me that shares the same thoughts with me. And I've got the idea of the boards that they're really hard to get?

But I do play text-RPG on internet, and I find it really awesome!

I forgot to include MUDs in the list. Oops! Sorry about that.

It was because I saw all the mention of RPG players in the hair dye poll that I made this one. It's nice to see so many RPGers in one place.

(And, I lost the game. I know this isn't the right place to post that, but I don't think it will be too distracting.)

I'm a born and raised role player. My mom has a book signed by gary gygax. (my uncle just happened to give him a taxi ride ^_~! They got to talking, then went out for lunch and ze book was signed. I forget which one, but the book is older than I am.) Any way, I've been playing more or less since I could hole up a pencil. I also play WoW, and other computerized/video game rpgs, as well as other table top numbers. (my current favorite is mutants and masterminds, but I've played shadow run and star wars, and just about every other game you can find in one of those seedy run down gaming shops). I've actually moved away from D&D recently. I don't care for 4th edition. But I still play 3.5. ^_^! I used to do more text based rp on message bords and such,but finding the time to keep up with those sort of things isn't as easy as it once was.

I'm not sure about the different types of RPGs but I'm a RPG lover too mostly video games like FF and FF to me is one of the best RPGs so far..

I'm a born and raised role player. My mom has a book signed by gary gygax. (my uncle just happened to give him a taxi ride ^_~! They got to talking, then went out for lunch and ze book was signed. I forget which one, but the book is older than I am.) Any way, I've been playing more or less since I could hole up a pencil. I also play WoW, and other computerized/video game rpgs, as well as other table top numbers. (my current favorite is mutants and masterminds, but I've played shadow run and star wars, and just about every other game you can find in one of those seedy run down gaming shops). I've actually moved away from D&D recently. I don't care for 4th edition. But I still play 3.5. ^_^! I used to do more text based rp on message bords and such,but finding the time to keep up with those sort of things isn't as easy as it once was.
Wow! That's a pretty awesome story. I've never met anyone important in the business before. Though, when my husband was a kid, he had his parents take him to TSR headquarters when they were passing through Lake Geneva, on the way home from Chicago. He said it was pretty boring. There was no store or museum room or anything, and nobody was available to give him a tour, since they were all getting ready to go to GenCon. He also said there wasn't a games store within 50 miles.

As far as D&D goes, I'm a 2nd edition purist, but the rest of my group doesn't like it. I absolutely hate 3/3.5 D&D. Surprisingly, I kind of like 4th edition. I thought I would hate it, since the flavour of it is absolutely awful, but it plays really well. It's super fast and easy to make a character, and it's very easy to learn. It actually kind of reminds me of 2nd edition, in some ways, if you remove all of the awful art and flavour text. But I had to completely retune all of the flavour for my campaign world, which was made back in the days of 2nd edition. That's been lots of work.

I've never done the pencil and paper kind, but I've played Final Fantasy before. I love those games, though I've only ever played the 7th, 10th (and 10-2), and the 12th.

I got my start with Final Fantasy (yes, the first one) on the NES

The first one? Isn't that one in Japanese?

I've never done the pencil and paper kind, but I've played Final Fantasy before. I love those games, though I've only ever played the 7th, 10th (and 10-2), and the 12th.

The first one? Isn't that one in Japanese?

No, it's in english, but it's very rudimentary. Your character names could only be four letters long. Level grinding was necessary, or your party would die constantly. There are no save points; you had to use consumable items (tents, cabins) or stay at an inn to save your game. The worst part was, in combat, if the monster you selected to attack died before one of your character's turns came up, they wouldn't transfer their attack to the next monster; they would just ineffectively attack the air. It was very frustrating. I didn't play another FF again for many years after that.

Final Fantasy VI (released as FFIII in North America on the SNES) was my favourite VG RPG ever. I absolutely love that game! And the soundtrack for it completely blew me away. That game was the absolute zenith of my enjoyment of RPG video games. FFVII was good, and FFVIII was okay, FFIX was rather tedious, and I haven't played any others since then. I just don't enjoy them any more, and they're way to time consuming.

I'm dreading having to play NQII for the avatars, but I guess that's what game guides are for.:P

Haha sounds like you've played every Final Fantasy that I haven't :P

I'm actually still working through FFVII, but I had a faulty memory card, so I need to get a new one.

The most frustrating part is, I've played through the beginning part 6 times already <_<

I'm a big fan of tabletop RPGs. I like some video game RPGs too, but I usually find the story a tad cliched. I admit that I got into the scene with 3.5 and I love the customization and skills. I feel like it gives me leeway to roleplay. I'm very much on the fence with 4th edition. It's streamlined and avoids all the problems of power balance that previous editions had, but it's blander than white rice cooked without salt. My wizard can only be a battle wizard, no longer a true illusionist or buffer or abjurer. What gives? You don't really have the opportunity to ad-lib out of combat stuff either since those skills were tossed out the window. I really want to learn about the previous DnD editions to see where it came from. I admit that I like gritty, more realistic stuff to the abstract. Currently, my husband and I are realizing that we want more than what 3.5 could offer, so we're working on our own system. He likes the ideas of weapons breaking, I like the idea of different to-hit tables (a wizard with touch spells and his bad base attack bonus is a loser).

SHOUT-OUT TO FINAL FANTASY TACTICS WOOO! And not that PSP remake. I want my Engrish and spell quotes!

I'm a big fan of tabletop RPGs. I like some video game RPGs too, but I usually find the story a tad cliched. I admit that I got into the scene with 3.5 and I love the customization and skills. I feel like it gives me leeway to roleplay. I'm very much on the fence with 4th edition. It's streamlined and avoids all the problems of power balance that previous editions had, but it's blander than white rice cooked without salt. My wizard can only be a battle wizard, no longer a true illusionist or buffer or abjurer. What gives?
I also hate what they've done to the wizard. I love using traditionally non-combat spells in combat, but since most of them are rituals now, I can't do that anymore. Sadness.:(

You don't really have the opportunity to ad-lib out of combat stuff either since those skills were tossed out the window.
At first, I felt that way about it too. But, after a few months of playing, I've found it to be exactly the opposite. By removing the game mechanics for out-of-combat stuff, the system grants you full liberty to ad-lib role-playing. Your characters can just do what they want outside of combat, without being limited by the rules. I think that this was the best improvement offered by this edition of game.

Currently, my husband and I are realizing that we want more than what 3.5 could offer, so we're working on our own system. He likes the ideas of weapons breaking, I like the idea of different to-hit tables (a wizard with touch spells and his bad base attack bonus is a loser).
My husband and I also tried this, and we found it was too much work, sadly, since we still haven't found any fantasy gaming systems that work for us. However, there are some other d20 variations that you might like, such as Pathfinder and Monte Cook's 3.5 add-on, Book of Experimental Might.

SHOUT-OUT TO FINAL FANTASY TACTICS WOOO! And not that PSP remake. I want my Engrish and spell quotes!
The Engrish in this game was awsome! Especially the job reports. :)

I guess that's another way to look at it. Call me crazy, but I like having 23 ranks in perform (string instruments) when I'm a swashbuckler. *shrug* Monte Cook's not bad, but I haven't appreciated Mongoose's stuff under the OGL. Too powergamey. Right now we're just in a concept phase, writing crazed notes in the middle of the night and whatnot. If we ever come up with anything concrete, I'll slip you the prototype to see what you think about it. We're not aiming for the grandeur of being the next big names in gaming. As for FFT, "Thanks to Arc Knight, the job was a breeze!"

<.<

>.>

?.?

• 1 month later...

I'm not familiar with other kinds of Rpgs,I only play the Videogame Rpgs. i say rpgs are very Stragetic.

This topic has been edited by a member of staff (Native) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Do not bump an old topic that has been inactive for over 21 days.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

Per the reason above, this topic has been LOCKED. Please contact Native if you have any questions regarding this action.