Microsoft Office 2007, is it worth it?

Lia Seeya

Alright, so I was looking over some of the functions of Microsoft Office 2008 and I wanted to ask all users of this if it's worth the price?

Yes, I'm one of those people who still use Windows XP and Windows Office 2003. I've heard 2007 is expensive and that's why I'm asking if it's worth it.

- Is it userfriendly? Moreso than 2003?

- If I decide to switch back to 2003, is it hard to downgrade?

- Anything I should know about 2007? Bugs? Odd little quirks about it that you hate?

I use '07. It's difficult to find stuff at first, but once you figure out where everything is, it works pretty well. There are a few quirks and perks, so I'd say it's just as good as Word '03. It's got more colors and shapes and effects, but overall it's just Word.

2007 is great. You might need some time to get used to it but once you do, it's pretty easy. Plus 2007 files takes less memory space than normal 2003 files.

You don't have to worry about the downgrade because it can save in both 2003 and 2007 file (depending on what you choose).

There is a learning curve that comes with 2007, but that will be quick to dispense of.

I work as Microsoft Customer Service at a call center, and RARELY do people call Microsoft with issues regarding any Office program (except Outlook, but that's more or less the ISP's job to give you the default settings).

I'd strongly suggest purchasing it. :)

2003 is easier to learn because there are more tutorials for it because it has been out for so long.

2007 runs smoother in transferring information between the programs and does have more features.

Downgrading: As of yet I have attempted one downgrade for a customer that took about a week because the systems are designed to keep you from doing that. It can be done but the headache may not be worth it and it isn't a process for the average user.

Price: I don't know about in your area but here, it is cheaper to buy the Student version and get the full upgrade than it is buying the office suite outright, that may be an option for you there.

Worth the price? As of current discussion, 2007 is going to be a standing model for at least two years because they have left it available to open source additions which makes it customizable for long term use and adaptable to the new demands it may come against. I personally think all of Microsoft's products are overpriced, however, their only competition in the market right now (that I know off) is Open Office, which is more of an extension for office itself than a stand alone.

Not sure if this helps, but they are my thoughts.

*SG*

Worth the price? As of current discussion, 2007 is going to be a standing model for at least two years because they have left it available to open source additions which makes it customizable for long term use and adaptable to the new demands it may come against. I personally think all of Microsoft's products are overpriced, however, their only competition in the market right now (that I know off) is Open Office, which is more of an extension for office itself than a stand alone.

Open Office is a fully-featured, stand-alone office suite, published by Sun Microsystems (the same people that brought us Java), with almost all of the same features as Microsoft Office or Corel Office (word processing, spreadsheet, paint, database, presentation). It is able to save and read files in Microsoft and Corel formats, as well as pdfs, and it has its own file formats too (which, incidentally, are smaller than Microsoft's formats). Also, the program itself is a lot smaller than Microsoft Office, about 600 MB.

I have been using Open Office exclusively for the past six years, and I've made no complaints about it. It does everything I need an office suite to do (and more), though like any new-to-you program, it does take a little bit of getting used to. But even my largely computer illiterate sister has mad the switch from Microsoft Office to Open Office without a problem.

Furthermore, its open source and completely free via download, with no strings attached. Sun Microsystems also has a version available for purchase, called Star Office, but I don't see the point in paying for something that you can get for free, unless you are a business.

Oh, I have heard so many horror stories about Open Office. I have a lot of classes with this guy who's a total Mac-lover, and often his excuse for not having homework was that he couldn't convert something or couldn't get Open Office to do whatever it was he was trying to do. Maybe he's just using it as an excuse, but I am now permanently scared of Open Office.

I've never had any real problems with it. It used to require a lot of user configuration for some stuff (mostly WordPerfect conversions), but that was several versions ago. I had problems converting certain documents that had been typed using WordPerfect in which the author had coded in hyperlinks, but Microsoft Word users I knew also couldn't properly convert these documents either. Then again, this was six years ago, and two full versions of Open Office ago.

Your friend's problem might be specific to Mac users. I've never used Open Office on a Mac before. I did a computer project several years ago, outlining menu differences between Microsoft Office and Star Office (the commercial version of Open Office), which I presented on a Mac, using Star Office, but I don't remember if it gave me any problems.

I am a huge advocate of free/open source software, but I understand that it's not for everyone. Most of it requires a lot of advanced end-user knowledge, but since Open Office has a commercial "twin," it's designed to be competitive with Microsoft as far as function and usability goes.

I was just suggesting that, since it is free, it's worth a try. Also, if anyone is interested, I still have that quick user guide somewhere on my hard drive.

Wow, that's a lot of info. Thank you very much, everyone!

I've tried downloading Open Office before. But I guess I just haven't got around to learning how to use it since I'm so used to 2003.

I'll try purchasing 2007 over the summer. :D

(Knowing my luck, I bet Microsoft will come out with a 2009 the day after. -_-)

hahahahaha, you people using new versions. I'm using office 2000, on a vista machine ;b

Such a paradox. XDD

It looks like my question has been answered. No problems if one of the mods decides to lock this. :D

We use '07 at school, and my dad gets it for $10AUS, so for me it is worth it! I love '07, it is better than '03, but still word. It is a tad confuzing at first as the set up is WAY different, but it is better when you get used to it :D

I've heard from a friend that Word 2007 is really bad, and that Word 2003 is so much better, but I use Word 2000, so I really wouldn't know. Just adding my friend's input.

The Office '07 is superb. Our school switched to Open Office this year, but after most students brought in portable version of their favorite '07 apps (like Word, PP and Excel, Access too) they ditched it and went back to 2003.

• 1 month later...

just like everyone has said. you should get office 07 i have it and its pretty awesome. i think its better than the previous ones. of course, it might take some time to getting used to but all the buttons are there. you just gotta find it xD

This topic has been edited by a member of staff (Ruto) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please do not bump topics inactive for more than 21 days.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

Per the reason above, this topic has been LOCKED. Please contact Ruto if you have any questions regarding this action.