Neoquest II, First Attempt

Mr. Sirius

This is going to be my first time attempting a full runthrough of the game, though in the past I have gotten up to Velm, and played with everyone's skills.

What do you think regarding these skill choices?

Chapter 1:

Rohane (32 HP, +6 per level)

Level 2: +1 Innate Melee Haste

Level 3: +1 Innate Melee Haste

Level 4: +1 Innate Melee Haste

Level 5: +1 Combat Focus, attempt Dark Cave

Level 6: +1 Damage Increase, beat Miner Foreman

Level 7: +1 Combat Focus

Level 8: +1 Damage Increase

Level 9: +1 Combat Focus, attempt Underground Cave

Level 10: +1 Damage Increase, attempt Mysterious Tower

Level 11: +1 Innate Magic Resistance, beat Zombom

Level 12: +1 Battle Taunt, recruit Mipsy.

Rohane/Mipsy (14/14, +4 HP per level)

Level 12M: +8 Direct Damage, +3 Innate Casting Haste

Level 13: +1 Battle Taunt/+1 Direct Damage

Level 14: +1 Damage Increase/+1 Direct Damage

Level 15: +1 Innate Melee Haste/+1 Innate Casting Haste, beat Sand Grundo

Level 16: +1 Combat Focus/+1 Group Haste, attempt Tower On The Hill

Level 17: +1 Innate Melee Haste/+1 Innate Melee Defense

Level 18: +1 Innate Magic Resistance/+1 Direct Damage

Level 19: +1 Damage Increase/+1 Innate Casting Haste, beat Ramtor

Level 20: +1 Damage Increase/+1 Group Haste, attempt Ramtor's Tower

Level 21: +1 Combat Focus/+1 Innate Melee Defense, beat Ramtor

End of Chapter 1

Rohane:

0 (+?) Critical Attacks

6 (+?) Damage Increase

5 (+?) Combat Focus

0 (+?) Stunning Strikes

2 (+?) Battle Taunt

2 (+?) Innate Magic Resistance

5 (+?) Innate Melee Haste

Mipsy:

11 (+?) Direct Damage

0 (+?) Group Direct Damage

2 (+?) Group Haste

0 (+?) Slowing

0 (+?) Damage Shields

2 (+?) Innate Melee Defense

5 (+?) Innate Casting Haste

(yay for first post in like a long time)

Combat Focus is totally useless... and you don't need to put more than 1 point on Battle Taunt. I've never ever used taunt in battles and I'm playing in InSaNe now (more than half through it now!).

Spend your next 5pts for Rohane on Damage Increase, then spend in Critical Attacks. Then you can go back to some inate skills.

Mipsy seems alright for now. I'd spend next pts on innate skills and then on haste.

How is Combat Focus useless? It acts as extra melee defense, and on occasion it resists magical attacks like Direct Damage and status effects like Slowing. And no, I didn't have Magic Resistance on at all when I tested it.

Edit:

Nonetheless, I'll take your advice.

Here's the changed skill list:

Chapter 1:

Level 5: +1 Damage Increase, attempt Dark Cave

Level 6: +1 Critical Attacks, beat Miner Foreman

Level 7: +1 Damage Increase

Level 8: +1 Damage Increase

Level 9: +1 Damage Increase, attempt Underground Cave

Level 10: +1 Critical Attacks, attempt Mysterious Tower

Level 12: +1 Battle Taunt, recruit Mipsy.

Rohane/Mipsy (14/14, +4 HP per level)

Level 12M: +8 Direct Damage, +3 Innate Casting Haste

Level 13: +1 Innate Melee Haste/+1 Innate Casting Haste

Level 14: +1 Damage Increase/+1 Direct Damage

Level 15: +1 Critical Attacks/+1 Innate Melee Defense, beat Sand Grundo

Level 16: +1 Damage Increase/+1 Innate Melee Defense, attempt Tower On The Hill

Level 17: +1 Innate Melee Haste/+1 Direct Damage

Level 18: +1 Critical Attacks/+1 Group Haste

Level 19: +1 Innate Magic Resistance/+1 Innate Casting Haste, beat Ramtor

Level 20: +1 Critical Attacks/+1 Innate Melee Defense, attempt Ramtor's Tower

Level 21: +1 Innate Magic Resistance/+1 Direct Damage, beat Ramtor

End of Chapter 1

Rohane:

5 (+?) Critical Attacks

6 (+?) Damage Increase

0 (+?) Combat Focus

0 (+?) Stunning Strikes

1 (+?) Battle Taunt

3 (+?) Innate Magic Resistance

5 (+?) Innate Melee Haste

Mipsy:

11 (+?) Direct Damage

1 (+?) Group Haste

0 (+?) Slowing

0 (+?) Damage Shields

3 (+?) Innate Melee Defense

5 (+?) Innate Casting Haste

For Rohane the first thing I did was max out damage increase, critical strikes, and stunning strikes, and a few innate skills. You definitely need to put something in your stunning strike skills. Combat focus, like Xepha said, is pretty useless. The defense increase isn't worth the reduced damage output. And it wastes a turn.

Mipsy looks pretty good so far. I'd recommend adding a little to Group Direct Damage, since I found that useful later on in the game when you have to face 4 enemies at once as normal monsters. I'd also increase Group Haste because it'll also become more useful later on in the game (it's a pain using speed potions on all of your party members when fighting a boss. You waste a whole round!). Don't invest in Slowing or Damage Shields, since I've found those pretty worthless.

For Talinia, I'd recommend maxing out her damage increase, shockwave, and multiple targets. Also speckle in some innate skills too, but focus primarily on the first three mentioned.

For Velm, I'd recommend maxing out both group healing and single person healing. Also maxing out celestial hammer would be good, but it's not as important as the first two. And as always, add some innate skills too.

For Rohane the first thing I did was max out damage increase, critical strikes, and stunning strikes, and a few innate skills. You definitely need to put something in your stunning strike skills. Combat focus, like Xepha said, is pretty useless. The defense increase isn't worth the reduced damage output. And it wastes a turn.

Mipsy looks pretty good so far. I'd recommend adding a little to Group Direct Damage, since I found that useful later on in the game when you have to face 4 enemies at once as normal monsters. I'd also increase Group Haste because it'll also become more useful later on in the game (it's a pain using speed potions on all of your party members when fighting a boss. You waste a whole round!). Don't invest in Slowing or Damage Shields, since I've found those pretty worthless.

For Talinia, I'd recommend maxing out her damage increase, shockwave, and multiple targets. Also speckle in some innate skills too, but focus primarily on the first three mentioned.

For Velm, I'd recommend maxing out both group healing and single person healing. Also maxing out celestial hammer would be good, but it's not as important as the first two. And as always, add some innate skills too.

In my opinion, I've found that early maxing actually hurts in the long run.

According to this guide I'm following, the most influence in any skill is the first few points, like the first three in Innate Melee Haste.

Talinia and Velm I didn't include because I'm posting one chapter at a time. But yes, I didn't plan on investing in Slowing or Damage Shields, and all my increases in Damage for a while will be Group Damage, but I will raise Group Haste a lot more than I have in the first chapter.

Rohane I don't plan to put stunning strike on unless I have extra points.

Talinia, when I get her (approximately Level 26), I plan to put 11 in damage increase, 6 in multiple targets, 5 in Haste, 1 in Shockwave, and 2 in Melee Defense. Ranged attacks are nice, per se, but the point of using Combat Focus/Battle Taunt is to draw most, if not all, the damage away from the others and to Rohane. And yes, it's more useful for Insane, but I'm trying to get used to it now in Normal.

Because of that, Velm will basically get a high Healing and Group Healing. I didn't like Celestial Hammer period, so when I get him (Level 35, I think), it'll be 11 in Healing, 11 in Group Healing, 7 in Casting Haste, 6 in Group Shields. Melee Defense will come later, and maybe I'll put a point in Mesmerization in Chapter 4.

I found maxing out my stunning really helpful though, since you could stun the opponent just about every turn. It worked really well against bosses since they hardly ever got a turn because of it.

And when I say max out, I don't mean you should only advance that skill 15 times in a row, I just mean that you'll want to eventually have 15 points in that skill.

Well the thing with the weapons is that you'll almost always find a better one, and when you switch, you might not be maxed out anymore. And the best weapons you can buy in the game won't have bonuses. Some weapons even have negatives for some skills. It's a good idea to max out skills, that way when you change armor/weapons your skills aren't messed up.

Trust me, little things like that aren't that important, especially since you'll be changing them every time you visit a new shop or beat a boss.

It's pretty insignificant in Normal Mode, but on Evil and InSaNe, those littles things make a big difference. Raising a skill to 15 early is a grave mistake, IMO.

For instance, let's use Mipsy. 60 skill points.

Let's say you put:

15 on Direct Damage

15 on Group Haste

6 on Innate Melee Defence

15 on Innate Casting Haste

9 on Group Direct Damage

That's 60 points. Great. But what if your best weapon end-game granted you:

+3 Direct Damage

+3 Group Haste

-3 Group Damage

You have just wasted 6 points that could either have been put to counter the -3 Group Direct Damage (which, by endgame, isn't that great due to the bosses) and increase Defence by 3 more or could have been put to increase Defense by 6.

Trust me, you won't enjoy fighting Terask with Mipsy having a pathetic Defense. :/

This is especially with Rohane with his attacking abilities and Velm's shield and healing.

What I do is that since the largest bonus for a weapon I've seen is 4 per ability (expect for Talinia's 5 per ability), I level up my abilities to 11 (or 10) max. Then, the weapons/armor do the rest. For Mipsy, I managed to get two decent weapons in a run once. One boosted Group Direct Damage by a bit, the other boosted Direct Damage and Group Haste a bit. I kept them both so that I could use one for bosses, and the other for random battles. Also, keep in mind that Velm's and Mipsy's usefulness doesn't come from thier Attack stat, so keep your old weapons for them until you get ones with better ability boosts rather than better attack stat.

Well I don't mean have them all maxed out super early, maybe like around Haunted Woods would be good. I mean, what if Mipsy never had that weapon? Maybe that weapon was one for Talinia, since it is random. It's not like it'd hurt Mipsy that bad.

I would end the game with:

15 on Direct Damage

15 on Group Haste

9 on Innate Melee Defence

6 on Innate Casting Haste

15 on Group Direct Damage

In this case, a speed potion should fix the problem.

Well I don't mean have them all maxed out super early, maybe like around Haunted Woods would be good. I mean, what if Mipsy never had that weapon? Maybe that weapon was one for Talinia, since it is random. It's not like it'd hurt Mipsy that bad.

I would end the game with:

15 on Direct Damage

15 on Group Haste

9 on Innate Melee Defence

6 on Innate Casting Haste

15 on Group Direct Damage

In this case, a speed potion should fix the problem.

Doesn't matter. With my explained method, you have SPARE skill points endgame. So, for instance, imagine you're right before Terask II. All obtainable weapons have been gotten. This was my Mipsy skill point layout:

11 on Direct Damage

11 on Group Direct Damage

11 on Group Haste

11 on Casting Haste

6 on Melee Defense

11*4 + 6 = 50, which means I have 10 spare skill points. Now, imagine I had a weapon and armor with:

+3 Direct

+3 Group Haste

-3 Group Direct

+2 Casting Haste

+4 Melee Defense

Simple. Direct is now at 14 with the bonus, so I add 1 skill point. (9 left) Group Haste is also at 14, add 1. (8 left) Group Direct is not useful against Terask, add none. (8 left) Casting Haste is at 13, add 2. (6 left)

There, all the essentials are at max. Now, you have 6 spare points, where you can do as you please. Add it to whatever you want.

Now, you may be thinking, "Wait a minute, what if my weapon is different? My last armor with additions was too weak, and I bought an armor that has no bonuses, what about that?". Again, not a problem.

Ex. 2:

Point set: same as above

Weapon:

+4 Direct

+2 Slowing

-3 Group Haste

Armor: None

Well, now. This is different, isn't it?

Direct is now max. No need to increase.

No need to increase Group Direct.

Haste is now at 8 (youch.). Add 4. (Since you have a - bonus, you can't get it to 15 now)

Casting Haste at 11. Add 4.

High Melee Defense is really only needed for InSaNe mode, IMO.

That's only 8 needed. Add 2 to whatever you want.

Like I said in my previous post, I keep two weapons with Mipsy at all times. One increase Direct, the other increasing Group Direct. The damage stat on the weapon doesn't matter, so even if your best weapon with Mipsy with bonuses is a +1 Direct, keep it. Obviously, if you find a better weapon with better bonuses, keep that one. I generally take bonuses over a small increase in damage, so I'll take a 69 damage weapon with bonuses over at 72 damage one with no bonuses.

But then you'll be playing the game with constantly changing stats. Say I have a weapon that has 20 atk, +3 Direct Damage for Mipsy. Then say, you find a weapon with an attack of 30 at a store. So you buy that weapon and change it. Suddenly, Mipsy doesn't have full Direct Damage, since store bought weapons never have bonuses.

And really, those bonuses aren't necessary. People can beat the game without them. It's too much of a haggle to work with, and it's not that big of a difference.

But then you'll be playing the game with constantly changing stats. Say I have a weapon that has 20 atk, +3 Direct Damage for Mipsy. Then say, you find a weapon with an attack of 30 at a store. So you buy that weapon and change it. Suddenly, Mipsy doesn't have full Direct Damage, since store bought weapons never have bonuses.

And really, those bonuses aren't necessary. People can beat the game without them. It's too much of a haggle to work with, and it's not that big of a difference.

Except what I said was clear NOT to do that. For Mipsy and Velm, you ignore the attack stat and go for the bonuses. I NEVER (repeat, NEVER) buy a weapon for those two them from a shop, only armor for them. Also, you level up and you increase your skills, is that too not constantly changing stats? I had the same weapons for Velm and Mipsy from Lost Desert till the end of the game (changed Velm's at the end, kept Mipsy's). For Rohane and Talinia, I get a weapon with an attack of 45 from a boss and see one with an attack of 48 at the shop. What do I do? Ignore it. I only buy weapons when they add a significant attack upgrade. This also ends up saving me a ton of gold, which is helpful since potions later on are more expensive (escpecially in Evil and InSaNe mode, where potions are 30% and 60% more expensive than they are in Normal.)

But, eh. We all have opinions. I find doing it my way makes NQ2 significantly easier while adding barely any additional effort. (The only effort being the adding of numbers regarding the level of each skill.)

A few reminder : Monsters and Boss are stronger in Evil and Insane mode. You would not survive the game if you don't spend your skills correctly. Equipment is also really expensive in Insane, so you wouldn't go and buy weapons. You would rely on what you find after battles, mostly. At the start of the game, you need all your money to buy healing potions (until you get to Velm), and then you need to buy slowing potion to get prepared for Terask.

I agree with the method of TheUnknown. Much safer when you reach Evil and Insane mode. You wouldn't want to spend countless hours and be defeated by a boss/monster is Insane. Because that means you have to start back your game >.<

Posting the skill list again for Chapter 1, with a few more additions and changes.

Opinions are welcome.

(Normal Mode)

Chapter 1:

Level 5: +1 Stunning Strikes, attempt Dark Cave

Level 6: +1 Combat Focus, beat Miner Foreman

Level 7: +1 Stunning Strikes

Level 8: +1 Stunning Strikes

Level 9: +1 Innate Melee Haste, attempt Underground Cave

Level 10: +1 Stunning Strikes, attempt Mysterious Tower

Level 12: +1 Battle Taunt, recruit Mipsy

Rohane:

0 (+?) Critical Attacks

0 (+?) Damage Increase

1 (+?) Combat Focus

4 (+?) Stunning Strikes

1 (+?) Battle Taunt

1 (+?) Innate Magic Resistance

4 (+?) Innate Melee Haste

Rohane/Mipsy (14 HP, +4 per level)

Level 12M: +7 Direct Damage, +4 Innate Casting Haste

Level 13: +1 Combat Focus/+1 Direct Damage

Level 14: +1 Stunning Strikes/+1 Direct Damage

Level 15: +1 Innate Melee Haste/+1 Innate Casting Haste, beat Sand Grundo

Level 16: +1 Stunning Strikes/+1 Direct Damage, attempt Tower on the Hill

Level 17: +1 Combat Focus/+1 Direct Damage

Level 18: +1 Battle Taunt/+1 Group Haste

Level 19: +1 Innate Magic Resistance/+1 Group Haste, beat Ramtor

Level 20: +1 Innate Melee Haste/+1 Innate Casting Haste, attempt Ramtor's Tower

Level 21: +1 Innate Magic Resistance/+1 Group Haste, beat Ramtor

End of Chapter 1

Rohane: [role: Damage Attractor/Guardian, Stunner]

0 (+?) Critical Attacks

0 (+?) Damage Increase

3 (+?) Combat Focus

6 (+?) Stunning Strikes

2 (+?) Battle Taunt

6 (+?) Innate Melee Haste

Mipsy: [role: Main Magic Damage Dealer/Single, Haster]

11 (+?) Direct Damage

3 (+?) Group Haste

0 (+?) Slowing

0 (+?) Damage Shields

0 (+?) Innate Melee Defense

6 (+?) Innate Casting Haste

Opinions?

I found the first guide I remember seeing when I first started playing, and combined everything that I've seen in guides with what I've tested so far, and this is what I came to. This is my opinion for how best to survive in InSaNe!, but I'm trying it first in Normal (since I haven't beaten it).

Edit:

And in the spirit of InSaNe!, I'm not going to sleep in any inns besides the first one in each chapter.

I also am planning to put skill bonuses above weapon damage unless there is a huge difference. Mipsy (and Velm) will not get any weapon upgrades unless it benefits them, and there will be no weapon purchases for either of them.

Please judge via chapter.

Yeah you're definitely going to want to invest some points on Damage Increase and Critical Attacks, and nothing in Combat Focus. Like I said, that defense isn't worth the wasted turn and the decreased damage output.

And personally, I'm not too sure of the usefulness of Battle Taunt, especially at that point in the game. The first time through, I didn't use it at all.

And though I said stunning strikes are good, you want to increase them after Damage Increase and Critical Attacks. At this point, stunning isn't as important as hitting hard. Stunning just comes in handy later down the road. At least that was my experience.

Before Mipsy, I was going to take care of the Miner Foreman with the Flare Potions I would get by selling 20 Healing Vials (I'd only need 6). Selling another 30-40 Healing Vials and 10-15 Healing Flasks would allow me to get enough Blast Potions for Zombom (I'm assuming 15 would be enough for Zombom).

Regarding monsters, that'd be Stunning Strikes and how I normally survive a lot of battles.

Well, I urge you to try to follow our advices to make the game just easier for you.

Potions are expensive. Skill pts do not cost anything. Get good habits now if you are planning to do Evil and InSaNe.

I guess...

I never understood why everyone makes certain bosses (Four Faeries, Hubrid etc.) harder than they are. I've never struggled with either of them.

Taunting Hubrid somewhat affects his ability to heal, and Focus/Taunt will draw the four Faeries away so quickly. Any other enemy out there can be handled the same way.

I understand what you mean when you say that potions are expensive et al. But I never had to use a potion or rest in Chapter 4 OR 5 (up till Faerie Thief, 2nd encounter [farthest I ever got]), and only 1 potion in Chapter 3. No need of slowing potions, no need of haste potions, and I needed just 1 Res potion.

But then again, I've never beaten the game, so I should leave it up to you.

What should I have by Level 21 with Rohane/Mipsy per level, then?

http://www.neopets.com/~Winnie_1964#Rohane

You can read it there. It's a good walkthrough overall. At least, it never failed me and I'm near the 4 Faeries in InSaNe mode.

I would not say that boss are tough... you just need to be leveled enough to handle them and to pay attention to what you are doing. First boss on InSane (foreman), I clicked on Flee instead of Attack on my last move... and yes it did Flee. So I was kinda mad at myself because I had to start over.

For Mipsy, I prefer direct damage over group damage. But that's just a preference.

Rohane: [role: Damage Attractor/Guardian, Stunner]

0 (+?) Critical Attacks

0 (+?) Damage Increase

3 (+?) Combat Focus

6 (+?) Stunning Strikes

2 (+?) Battle Taunt

6 (+?) Innate Melee Haste

Mipsy: [role: Main Magic Damage Dealer/Single, Haster]

11 (+?) Direct Damage

3 (+?) Group Haste

0 (+?) Slowing

0 (+?) Damage Shields

0 (+?) Innate Melee Defense

6 (+?) Innate Casting Haste

Definately not liking it.

Rohane:

As said, where's Damage Increase? Sure, Damage naturally increases as you level up, but it's nowhere near enough when it's Rohane alone (and later on with Mipsy). I also honestly don't see the use of Combat Focus. It increases your defenses, sure, but it decreases your attack. Also, later on, with Velm, health is barely an issue, and definately not one that Rohane needs to waste (yes, WASTE) a turn over worrying about. Also, even with Direct Damage spells hitting him (or any character), at max, it deals 100 damage, easily fixable with a potion as well later on. I have never put a point on Combat Focus and I breezed through Evil mode. Also, Battle Taunt really only needs a single point.

Once you have Mipsy, your speed is less of a concern (since you have two characters to work with now). My advice: Nothing on Combat Focus, and put it all into Damage Increase. Melee Haste probably only needs 2-4 points at this time (in fact, I only increased Melee Haste in Faerieland) if you're so determined on getting it. Magic Resistance, I kept at 2 till endgame. I find my priority to be Damage Increase first, Critical second, and Stunning third for his attacking potential.

Mipsy:

At this point, with only two characters, Group Haste doesn't really shine as much as it does after you get Velm. If you really must have points there now, 2 is fine, although I really do suggest you focus on Group Direct Damage first out of the two. Invest 2 or so points in Melee Defense. You put Combat Focus on Rohane, yet you leave Mipsy practically defenseless? Mipsy's the one who needs the defense. Invest some points in it. I'm fine with Casting Haste.

My proposed list with your # of skill points...

Rohane:

0-1 Critical Attacks

9-11 Damage Increase

0 Combat Focus

0-1 Stunning Strikes

1 Battle Taunt

2 Innate Magic Resistance

6 Innate Melee Haste

Mipsy:

9-11 Direct Damage

0-2 Group Direct Damage

0-2 Group Haste

0 Slowing

0 Damage Shields

2 Innate Melee Defense

6 Innate Casting Haste

Obviously, the dashes are there for you to choose. As long as they equal your original 20...

I didn't put any Innate Defenses until Chapter 3 on the list because Battle Taunt is rarely resisted until then.

http://neoquestmania.com/nq2/guides/?go=skillselection_2

That was the guide that I first read, being a Defensive player myself.

If you must know, this is what I had Talinia and Velm at:

Talinia: [role: Main Melee Damage Dealer/Multiple, Slower]

Recruit at Level 25

5 Increased Bow Damage

6 Multiple Targets

0 Ranged Strike

5 Shockwave

0 Slowing Strike (will increase later)

0 Innate Magic Resistance

8 Innate Melee Haste

Velm: [role: Healer, Protector]

Recruit at Level 34

10 Healing

0 Group Healing

11 Group Shielding

0 Mesmerization

0 Celestial Hammer

2 Innate Melee Defense

10 Innate Casting Haste

I also found some of my notes that I made in my first trial run:

- Slowing Potions/Mipsy's slowing slows melee attack cooldown and somewhat slows magic attack cooldown.

Talinia's Slowing Strike somewhat slows melee attack cooldown, BUT slows down magic attack cooldown quite a bit.

- For those finding Direct Damage easily resisted, I found one way to increase the chance of it hitting. If I found my Direct Damage was resisted easily by X enemy, I would Mesmerize (Level 1) the enemy. Whether or not it's resisted, Direct Damage would hit around 90% of the time afterwards.

(Can I get a confirmation, as these notes are a little bit old, and I don't know if this still works?)