Dog Owners/Lovers: In!

AntiGravityAzn

So I was curious if anyone here had dogs? If so, I wanna see 'em! :D I love dogs, particularly German Shepherds. My first dog was a German Shepherd/Husky mix (about 7 years ago) and my current dog is a GSD/unknown mix named Rio. At one point I thought he was a Chinook, but his black points tell otherwise. Anyone have any suggestions? I've heard GSD/Chow. If it helps, when I brought him to a horse stable, he tried herding the horses into a pen (and almost succeeded until I called him back to the car, lol)

I trained Rio myself. He knows all the basic commands, including shake/high five. I'm currently working on teaching him the names of his toys/treats/etc.

Here are some pictures of him:

PictureorVideo423-2.jpg

DSCF0119.jpg

2008_0421TestDrive0001.jpg

DSCF0035.jpg

^^ spotted tongue

rio.jpg

This is him at about 12 weeks?

Whoa! Is a spotted tongue in dogs common? I have never seen that before! I love the third photo, Rio is a beautiful dog ^_^.

Oh, I do day dream. Every day. I love animals. I want 80565632 pets. Kids, not for me. I want animals. Buuut my Mum doesn't. Took me a long time to get a rabbit, who I love more than anything. Rabbits are my favourites. Anyway. After I have gone travelling (because I don't think I could bear to leave a poor dog in a shelter unless my Mum would look after him/her) I'll be getting myself a Bichon Frise. I love them so much.

Thanks everyone! I feel like a dork because I have like 999999 pictures of my dog on my external hard drive, lol.

Aww, I love German Shepherds. <3

I have a Norwegian Elkhound-I'll try to upload some pictures later.

Those dogs are so beautiful! I can't wait to see the pictures. My brother's friend rescued an Elkhound/Retriever mix and I swear she was the smartest dog in the world, lol.

Whoa! Is a spotted tongue in dogs common? I have never seen that before! I love the third photo, Rio is a beautiful dog ^_^.

Oh, I do day dream. Every day. I love animals. I want 80565632 pets. Kids, not for me. I want animals. Buuut my Mum doesn't. Took me a long time to get a rabbit, who I love more than anything. Rabbits are my favourites. Anyway. After I have gone travelling (because I don't think I could bear to leave a poor dog in a shelter unless my Mum would look after him/her) I'll be getting myself a Bichon Frise. I love them so much.

Thank you! And spotted tongues are common amongst certain breeds, but I believe they can pop up anywhere. You'll see the spots a lot in Chows, which is why I have a hunch my dog is part Chow. But on the other hand, my family adopted a retired racing greyhound and she had a big blue spot in the centre of her tongue.

And LOL I totally agree with you about the "80565632 pets" thing. I would be happy with horses and dogs and goats and llamas running around, but I'm pretty hesitant with kids. I mean, don't get me wrong, I LOVE kids....I just need an escape route ;)

aww I love all the dog pics! I don't want to get a dog yet until I move out, but I want an Alaskan Malamute! They are sooo adorable! (but huge) haha

Alaskan Malamutes ARE huge, but they are great dogs :) I helped train one before and they're a bit more stubborn than a Husky, but if you get them properly socialized when they're young, they're great dogs :D

I love German shepherds but I'd rather have a husky.

I own a mini schnauzer and 2 mini poodles. :D

Aww! OK, poodle owner, I have a question...is the little haircut on poodles that you see on TV (with everything shaved except little puff-balls on their tail, joints, neck, etc.) typical? Or do most owners like them shaggy or natural? I've never owned a poodle, never owned a dog who needed strenuous grooming, never prepared a dog for a dog show, or anything like that...so I'm clueless when it comes to doggie cosmetics, lol :)

dont feel bad anti gravity i have a million on my digital camera of my puppies but im too lazy to get them printed and on a cd.........

i love you puppies they are so cute *i call every dog a puppy even if they are 7 years old lol*.....

I have a red nosed pit bull *Ice* and Ice's Puppy *Titan* who is also part blue tick hound. That blue tick part of him is annoying but hes so cute lol ..... I love Pit bulls they are so cute :yes: They get a bad rap though ... its all in the way you raise them

**Edit** I also have 2 cats and a bunny :)

@AntiGravityAzn: Fantastic question! Usually that cut is only used for those who are shown. Normal poodle owners use what is called a 'Poodle Puppy Cut' which merely shaves them down, gives them a bit of a puffy hairdo, and leaves the hair on their tails alone (Pruning some hairs)

My puppies: (My poodles got shaved a couple of days after the photos. Just imagine them shaved down like the Schnauzer is)

IMG_4873.jpg

IMG_4872.jpg

IMG_4827.jpg

Danielle, your avatar cracks me up :D

And I LOVE Pit Bulls! I totally agree that it's all in the way you raise them, and that's not just with Pit Bulls. Rotties and GSD's get a bad rep just because some moron thought they would abuse and neglect their dog until it could fight or protect or whatever until the death. It's disgusting.

I get a lot of comments about Rio being part German Shepherd. We went to a park one day and this 20-ish year old girl walks up to me and says "Your dog is really scary looking, he shouldn't be out in public like this." It was outrageous.

And omg! You have to post pictures of your Pit/BTH mix lol, I've never seen a mix of those two breeds. The blue tick hounds are so beautiful...they remind me of the Catahoula Leopard dog.

Edited to Add:

@Rotcchick: Awww, cute overload :) They are too adorable! And thanks for clarifying the haircut deal...I think I've heard of the puppy cut. People use that term with Yorkies and Shih Tzu's as well, right?

I love German Shepherds too. I don't think I could ever own a small dog like a toy poodle. I think I will step on small dogs and I don't want that. I love big dogs a whole bunch. But my parents don't want a dog after the GSD/Lab dog we had. It breaks my heart not to have a puppy when a lot of my friends do though. :(

I love everybody's dogs, especially Rio. :)

Alaskan Malamutes ARE huge, but they are great dogs :) I helped train one before and they're a bit more stubborn than a Husky, but if you get them properly socialized when they're young, they're great dogs :D

Aww! OK, poodle owner, I have a question...is the little haircut on poodles that you see on TV (with everything shaved except little puff-balls on their tail, joints, neck, etc.) typical? Or do most owners like them shaggy or natural? I've never owned a poodle, never owned a dog who needed strenuous grooming, never prepared a dog for a dog show, or anything like that...so I'm clueless when it comes to doggie cosmetics, lol :)

I'd prefer to adopt mine just b/c I have friends who work in shelters and while they're cute, not sure I can deal with the whole puppy school thing haha.

As for a poodle, most poodle's I've seen, including my friends are just left alone, it's the same thing as seeing your poodle's fur dyed blue, not really necessary, just for show and some people want that distinction that it IS a poodle and not another breed so stop asking me kinda deal.

@AntiGravity- Yes it is used for all breeds to my knowledge.

@janal- I have seen a rainbow colored poodle. You are not allowed to dye your poodles if you want them to be shown though. It's illegal and you'll never work in a dog show again. I've never believed in giving them pom-poms or anything like that. We've even stopped putting bows in their hair. lol

Well all our dogs are female, but we worried about Pumpkin (the white poodle) eating the bows. She gets jealous when the other dogs 'look pretty'.

An EAR PIERCING? WTHeck!?

Those dogs are so beautiful! I can't wait to see the pictures. My brother's friend rescued an Elkhound/Retriever mix and I swear she was the smartest dog in the world, lol.

Lol, mah doggy is not so bright. XD

Anyway here's a picture:

Edit: It's not working. =/ I'll try again soon.

I get a lot of comments about Rio being part German Shepherd. We went to a park one day and this 20-ish year old girl walks up to me and says "Your dog is really scary looking, he shouldn't be out in public like this." It was outrageous.

Thats just ridiculous! I can't take my dogs to the local park i have to go 2 towns over because they dont allow Pit Bulls *only pit bulls* there. *Rolls eyes*

I'll deffinitly post a pic.....I have one on my cell phone so i'll email it to myself and post it :) I forgot i had one on there lol

@Rotcchick....

i adore your poodles but i LOVE your Schnauzer lol

I love big dogs but i've always wanted a yorkshire terrior or a chiuahua *sp?* or even a weiner dog lol I saw a pic the other day with a puppy dashound wrapped in a hot dog bun ROTFL

**edit** I'll post a full body one later... ^_^

post-10386-1233273624_thumb.jpg

Your pit bull is a cutie. I hate they get such a bad rap :( Boxers get bad raps too, as do german shepherds. My mum owned a german shepherd, but he was killed by a neighbor. My sister has a cute boxer.

Your pit bull is a cutie. I hate they get such a bad rap Boxers get bad raps too, as do german shepherds. My mum owned a german shepherd, but he was killed by a neighbor. My sister has a cute boxer.

It's sad that a lot of people don't realize that they can be such sweet dogs. It's what people do to some of them that makes them turn bad.

My Aunt & Uncle had a malamute before someone poisoned it, she was such a nice dog too. Never barked, never ran in other peoples yards.

Danielle: Your local park doesn't allow pit bulls? That's ridiculous :( I wish we could ban the [insert cuss word] mistreating dogs from certain places. Sure, they go to jail, but they get out and do whatever the heck they want. But it seems to me like the dogs are more taboo than the actual idiots causing the behavioural problems these days :sad01_anim:

Your Pit Bull is adorable! I love the bridle coloured ones :) They have such to-die-for faces.

Rotcchick: Your neighbour killed your GSD? :( I'm so sorry...my GSD/husky mix was killed by a drunk driver.

And aww, I love Boxers. Of course, there's really not a type of dog I don't like, as you can tell by this thread, lmao, with me awwing about everyone's doggies :)

Pitbulls only do what they do because they are so darned loyal and wanting to please. The people who train them, they say 'good dog' when it hurts another dog, so it goes 'oh, that's what I'm supposed to do to make my human happy, okay!' That's the only reason. Speaking of pitbulls, Michael Vick shouldn't be let out of prison >_<

It was my mum's dog that was killed, when she was around my age. We've had collies and stuff though. My mum never wants another german shepherd because of what happened to hers, too many memories.

that pic is my pit/BTH mix.....my reg. pit you can see the red in him :D

Pitbulls only do what they do because they are so darned loyal and wanting to please. The people who train them, they say 'good dog' when it hurts another dog, so it goes 'oh, that's what I'm supposed to do to make my human happy, okay!' That's the only reason. Speaking of pitbulls, Michael Vick shouldn't be let out of prison >_<

exactly! I was watching the comedian Carlos Mencia and he really believes that Michael Vick shouldnt be at fault because thats the way he was raised. :thumbsdown: Im sorry bout your mom's puppy thats such a shame!

And aww, I love Boxers. Of course, there's really not a type of dog I don't like, as you can tell by this thread, lmao, with me awwing about everyone's doggies

Amen sista! lol but yea we aren't allowed pit bulls at the park. As you said you always hear about the dog not about the owners. its sad. I was reading in Sports Illustrated about Micheal Vick's dogs being able to be adopted and soemone responded saying a pit bull killed her nephew and they should be exterminated! Thats a little much. Exterminate the owner of the dog! I was attacked by a german shepard mix *still have the scars to prove it* and i love german shepards....yea its different because it killed her nephew but again that was the owners fault not the breed.

Marmite or Vegemite?: Omg what an adorable faces! :) They are so cute!

Danielle: I was also attacked by a GSD when I was about 8. It wasn't serious because my brother's dog ended up protecting me. Neither dogs were hurt, but it's ironic that my favourite breed of dog is now German Shepherds :) It wasn't the dog's fault...he was one of those poor dogs chained to a tree 24/7 in 95 degree weather. I would be a little violent too! Anyways, the chain was rusty and while me and my brother were walking by, the chain snapped and he went right for me.

And I would love to punch Michael Vick in the face. Maybe more, but a nice punch in the face would do fine.