Are auctions still a good way to get scammed?

TheLittlestCat

I used to play Neopets about 8 years ago, and back then auctions were broken. You could put something up that is worth, say 10,000NP, and then people would scam you by bidding something like 100NP, then they'd have a couple more accounts that would bid higher and higher amounts, since they'd have the money on them. After they had bid much more than anyone was willing to pay, they'd get rid of the NP by some means, and their bids would no longer be eligible. This meant that whoever had the last eligible bid got the item for that amount, so you'd be selling the 10,000NP item for only 100NP. Of course, they'd end up getting frozen for it if you reported them for it, but it just never stopped happening no matter how many times you did that.

So is this sort of thing still possible, or do the auctions work a little better than they used to? I know they're not the best way to sell items, I just wanted to know if they were still broken like they used to be.

:O I think I remember when it was that way...

Now they deduct NPs you are bidding from the NPs you have on hands, so it shouldn't happen.

Say that I'm bidding 100NP on a Draik Morphing Potion. (I'm sure to be overbid shortly), if I want to bid 500NP, they will deduct another 400NP from what I have on hand and add it to the 100NP I've already put on the lot. At the end of the fun auction, losers are getting back all their NPs.