Unofficial Music Review Thread

Shane for Wax

Here you can find reviews of the newest albums, and post your own of course. Please try to follow the format I have listed.

[img=Your album image]
[b]Album[/b]: Name of the album you're reviewing
[b]Release Date[/b]: When did it come out?
[b]Band[/b]: Name of the band who put out the album
[b]Rating[/b]: Your rating of said album
[b]Parental Advisory[/b]: Does it have a parental advisory? (Feel free to explain why it does.)
[b]In Depth Review[/b]: Explain why you gave it the rating you did.
[b]Favorite Songs or Songs to Listen to[/b]: Which songs are the best from the album that people MUST hear?
[b]Songs with Swearing[/b]: This is entirely optional but helpful for those who are debating whether to get an album based on the swearing per capita.

Mine:

disturbed-cover.jpg

Album: Indestructible

Release Date: June 3rd, 2008

Band: Disturbed

Rating: 4.5/5

Parental Advisory: No, I think this is the first album of theirs that hasn't had a parental advisory. They've become less vulgar, which I like. However, listening to it, there's some random foul language, so I don't know why it doesn't have a parental advisory. Examples: The use of the F word in Criminal. Divide also has the same use of the F word, so uhm...caution there. I bought the CD from Best Buy and there is no Parental Advisory on the case anywhere. So...I dunno what happened with that. lol

In Depth Review:

Well, what can I say? David Draiman has a voice I enjoy, and a body my girlfriend likes to look at (she loves his piercings). Surprisingly, the song with the same name as the album is NOT the best one on the CD. It is good, yes, but not the best one. This album is their first attempt at self-producing an album, and I quite enjoy it. Better than I do the Sickness, Ten Thousand Fists, or Believe (that album has a track that shows a 'softer' side to David Draiman's voice, which I find soothing and enjoyable, but that's a story for another time). Whenever I hear one of Disturbed's songs, I want to throw my fist into the air and bang my head. When I listen to them in my car, admittedly I want to go as fast as I can in my Nissan Pathfinder, because well, I'm indestructible!

If you listen to the lyrics, you will find that they are darker than previous songs from previous albums. It is a nice compilation of stuff Draiman has gone through in his life, including the experiences that are part of Inside the Fire, which is about his girlfriend committing suicide, and the devil whispering in Draiman's ear to kill himself. Indestructible is about war, and there have been reports of the troops over in Iraq playing it in their Humvees while they go on patrol.

I have been a fan of Disturbed for a while now. I urge anyone who is a fan of rock to check it out, along with their previous albums. Overall I give this a 4.5/5. There is just something missing I can't place.

My favorite songs on this album:

Perfect Insanity

Inside the Fire

Deceiver

Songs With Swearing:

Deceiver- 1 f word

Criminal- 2 F word

Divide- 3 F word

Are we allowed to post reviews for singular tracks?

If that is what you want to do, then go for it. It IS called music, not album. I just have the set up for the more common means of reviewing music (albums)

jaktens_tid.jpg

Album: Jaktens Tid

Release Date: 2001

Band: Finntroll

Rating: 5/5

Parental Advisory: Not that I know of, although if you look at the lyrics translated into english, they aren't always the nicest.

In Depth Review: It's my personal favorite out of all of their albums. The original vocalist still sings in it. The original gitarist is still alive playing the music in it. They make very good music in all their albums. Me & my brothers term fot the kind of music that they play, "triumphant humppa metal", It's very good music. And It's actually metal that can me classified as music and not noise (like many metal bands) You would probably have to buy it online though because their not mainstream so they aren't usually in the stock at stores.

Favorite Songs or Songs to Listen to:

Födosagan

Salget Vid Blodsälv

Skogens Hämnd

Jaktens Tid

Bakom Varje Fura

Kitteldags

Krigsmjöd

VargTimmen

Kyrkovisan

Den Hornkrönte Konungen

Aldhissla

Tomhet Och Tystnad Härska (you only need to listen to the last minute or so, the rest is mostly silence)

(lol, that's all but one)

</a> Songs with Swearing: I wouldn't know, but that's because I don't know Swedish (language they sing in)

Thier official website: <a href="http://www.finntroll.net/" target="_blank">http://www.finntroll.net/

Wikipedia article on them: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finntroll

EDIT:

visit their myspace, It has 4 full albums to listen to there http://www.myspace.com/officialfinntroll

Okay well here goes:

Name: Roll to Me

Artist: Del Amitri

Rating (/10) : 10, definitely

Why: Catchy, and it makes me feel happy!

Link: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=wa1IRGtp9Gw

512i4MglCxL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Album: The Jack 2 Pack

Release Date: September 30, 2008

Band: Danny Elfman/Various Artist

Rating: 8.5/10

Parental Advisory: None

In Depth Review: I really enjoyed the vast majority of the songs. All of the songs on the first disc (except Nabbed) I have listened to over and over. Danny Elfman does an excellent job writing, singing, and composing. The wordplay is really quite smart and creative. On the second disc (the covers of the originals) a couple of problems pop up. Sparklehorse and The Polyphonic Spree were horrible, slaughtering some of my favorite songs. On the other hand, Amy Lee's cover of "Sally's Song" was exceptionally beautiful. Korn, Rise Against, and Marilyn Manson also did a good job with "Kidnap The Sandy Claws," "Making Christmas," and "This is Halloween."

Favorite Songs or Songs to Listen to:

The Originals:

Jack's Lament

What's This

Jack's Obsession

Kidnap The Sandy Claws

Oogie Boogie's Song

Poor Jack

The Covers:

Sally's Song

This Is Halloween

Kidnap The Sandy Claws

Songs with Swearing: None, unless you count Heck or By God (x2) on Poor Jack.

Great boards idea. *gives it a shot*

7567838342.JPG

Album: Plans

Release Date: August 30, 2005

Band: Death Cab For Cutie

Rating: 8/10

Parental Advisory: No

In Depth Review: If you're into Death Cab for Cutie, you'll love this album. In 'Plans', DCFC sings about love, heartache, and death, touching hearts all over the nation (wow, I sound cheesy! XD)

Favorite Songs or Songs to Listen to: What Sarah Said, Stable Song, and I Will Follow You Into the Dark

Songs with Swearing: None (though, there may be a 'hell' somewhere).