Stock market

jasmindee

Well, I've been on Neopets for a while now, and i've heard about people who have made profit from the stock market? What is this and how can I sign up? Also, I currently have NP: 518,058 (Just bought three pieces of the Lab map :P) and do you think I should put that in the bank or no?

Thanks in advance :graduated:

The stock market can be found here: http://www.neopets.com/stockmarket.phtml As well as from the front page of Neopets. It should say 'Neodaq Index' Clicking on that would bring you to the stockmarket. Basically, you invest like in real life in the stock market. You can only buy shares above 15NP and with a cap of 1000 shares per day. The Neopian stockmarket is entirely random though, unlike in real life, so your best shot is at having a nice diverse portfolio. Buy when the stock is at 15NP per stock and wait till it rises to 30NP, 45 NP and so on. You can choose your sell point. That's all really. Buy low, wait, sell high! Profit!

For the stock market, you look at the companies that have their Current shares at preferably 15, but 16 works too. Most people then buy 1000 shares, the equivalent of 15,000 neopoints with a Current share of 15. After you have those 1000 shares, it usually takes a few weeks, but when the Current shares get up in the 25-30 range, you sell them x3

You can't buy from anyone with less than a 15 Current share. The higher the share, the more neopoints you have to spend/will receive. Selling your shares at a lower Current than you bought it at will mean you lose neopoints xD If you sell at the same Current you bought it at, say 15, then you'd still lose because the transaction fee is 20 neopoints.

And yea, putting your neopoints in the bank is safer than carrying them around xD And you get to collect interest every day.

Yup stocks are a nice way to invest, but you have to be very patient sometimes. And you don't need to worry, a stock hasn't gone bankrupt in a very long time, so most of them are pretty safe.

And yes, you should always have all or most of your neopoints in your bank. It's safe, you collect interest, and you can withdraw it any time you want.

All the stocks are random. Just invest in the ones at 15, and you'll eventually make a profit. It's a long term investment, not a short term one. Also, you can find a list of the stocks sorted by price here .

Well pretty much everything's been covered here, but just in case you still need more info, you can check out this page. ;)

Hi, I always invest in the stock market and I have some tips for you:

1 always buy in the 15 ones.ALWAYS. If you ever find that none are 15 then forget about it.

2 I dont know if you have noticed but the stock market went a HUGE up and came back as huge as ever.So the thing is always WAIT.WAIT.WAIT.WAIT.

Well actually the question of whether or not to buy stocks at exactly 15 NP per share is a bit subjective. :yes: I generally prefer to buy stocks in a price range of 15 to 17 NP, so that it's easier to diversify and avoid over-investing in one company.

As you can see in the above answers, there are many techniques. "Where do I start?" is your question. My answer is this: it's up to you - but you can consider the following points:

Some people diversify their stocks a lot (buying stocks from 2 or 3 different companies per day), some people diversify once in a while (recently I switched to buying 1000 shares from just one company per day, keeping a stock portfolio focused on a dozen or so "personal favorite" companies).

Most people I know buy only in the 15-17 NP range. You could buy in the higher range, say in the 25-30 NP range, hoping to ride along while a company is doing really well and sell when the stocks reach the 35-40 NP range, but this can be risky because the randomness of the market means that when the stocks plummet they take months to get back up again.

The market doesn't seem to follow any rules of economics. People say it's random. If it's random, then it's a waiting game. So when you do decide to start investing, you have to also be willing to say goodbye to your money for a few months until the stock matures.

One thing is clear: the stock market will make you rich if you truly commit to it (i.e., you're willing to wait 3 months for stocks to mature). I started investing when I only had 60,000 NP or so in the bank - about 8 months ago. I estimate that in the past 8 months I have invested a total of 700,000 in the stock market, and yet in that time the stock market earned me about 1,000,000 NP in 8 months that I spent on various things like Petpetpets, paint brushes, wearables, avatars - basically if I had saved all my NP instead of spending it I would have more than enough to buy the secret lab map set. Here's the bottom line: thanks to a constant stream of buying and selling in the stock market, I earn enough NP per month to spend on Battledome training and impulse purchases, and yet I always seem to have 100,000 NP in the bank at all times and about 200,000 NP locked up as stocks in the market.

I currently have about 500k on stocks and buy another 1000 shares every day, (typically I actually try to keep the amount of different companies limited but only buy at 15). So I have like 30-90k per company and wait for a 10 point gain or so.

Having said that, the bank is very helpful the more you have in it. I get approx 5,000 a day interest whereas with shares you might, as stated, need to wait for ages before making the cash.